Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rear axle removal....S10 @ the junkyard

At some point before long I'm headed to the junkyard to search for an S10 with rear disc brakes. Upon finding one I believe I'll need to pull the axles to get the various brake parts I need? Like most things I've done mechanically, associated with my car, I've never pulled an axle before. What tools will I need and how do I get the axles out? I looked around on YouTube and found a few axle removal tutorials but I know there is more than one style/method of axle location.....can somebody point me the right way?
This is not the rear end, I can swap those, this is the axle itself.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You want to remove the two axle shafts, instead of removing the entire rear axle assembly.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what I'm asking how to do.

Sorry folks for the confusion. Sub in axle shaft where applicable in my original post. Or that might not have understood what I wanted by my last sentence.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 03-24-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
That's what I'm asking how to do.
  1. pull the diff cover,
  2. then pull out the differential cross pin
  3. push in each axle
  4. remove the c-clips
  5. axle should just slide out
  6. now you will have access to the backing plates/flanges

its not too hard

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 03-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

as far as tools, just some sockets, and a needle nose pliers, sometimes those cross pins are a pain so maybe a punch and a mallet

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

MUCH appreciated. When you've never pulled 2 axle shafts before any real help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

David,
I guess you are going for the rear disc setup w/ park brake shoes inside rotors???

If so look for S-10 Blazers and GMC Jimmys, and the Olds whatevers, that look like S-10 blazers..., never seen rear discs on pickups...Most all the bolts/nuts are metric, may need small metric stuff, also.

The most difficult part was getting the park brake cable loose from the backing plates. Taking the "U" shaped shoe of the backing plate allows this. I'm wondering how to rig the cables on my car. The S-10 setup has both cables run down the drivers side of the vehicle. It's possible to salvage the LH side cable, but you need a good set of side cutters to cut the cable ahead of it in two to salvage it (this all takes a little patience, nothing major though).

The two cables are attached together in this junction sheet metal bracket, I was never able to get it apart at the yard, they rust together, can't get any leverage on the fasteners (or hold it) in the yard to disassemble it.

Look at the RH cable closely, if you decide to take it home. The several I looked at had a spot on the rubbed through casing, all the way into the inner cable.

I bought two LH cables think I might be abel to hook them up like the factory drum, cable on my T/A....BUT I like the factory S-10 setp better w/ the only cable running down the drivers side (when you see it, you'll understand) eliminating the cable routing headaches around the exhaust pipes.....

That diff cross pin is held in w/ a bolt, the head will be facing the pass side, may be 5/16. beware these bolts can break coming out, ( may be broken as it sits in diff, right now). The bolt has thread just below the hex head, the rest is unthreaded, that engages in the cross pin (allowing it to hold the pin in place)

Bring some paper towels/rags, you'll get slimed, once the cover's off

Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainofiron View Post
  1. pull the diff cover,
  2. then pull out the differential cross pin
  3. push in each axle
  4. remove the c-clips
  5. axle should just slide out
  6. now you will have access to the backing plates/flanges

its not too hard
Also add remove the calipers...

Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To add a bit to the info above, there is a difference between 2WD and 4WD Blazer setups. The 2WD setups have both calipers mounting to the rear, while the 4WD setup is staggered like the 79-81 TA's.

I don't recall what is involved with the 4WD setup and think it is useable but know from experience the 2WD is a simple bolt on deal. I put one on my 12 bolt and all I needed to do is put a 1/4" spacer plate between the caliper bracket and axle housing to get it all aligned. My car is not finished yet so I have not connected the parking brake cables yet.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going to give the disc conversion a shot. Excellent info, especially the cable info. Thank you. I was wondering if Lokar had a cable that worked? Right now my local Pull A Part shows about half dozen possibilities and one maybe. They show an Isuzu branded GM suv from that time frame which should be the same thing. If the S10's have been picked (or drums) over the Isuzu may have been looked over.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

The S-10 rear disc stuff, isn't terribly common, but they are out there. The time frame these donor vehicles were manufactured, is a a ripe time frame for them showing up in pull-a-part yards. The one I robbed off of was a 2003 S-10 Blazer 2WD. Hadn't really seen one, until late last fall, when I got my parts. The place I use in Oklahoma City puts S-10 pickups/blazers in their car section AND their pickup section. Have seen a bunch since I got my parts.

None of the rotors I saw were any count, I plan to buy new, anyway...
I wrote down the VIN off my donor, in case I need any goofy part that's factory only...

The more I think about it, I'd like to try to adapt that factory cable setup, and get away form the cables in the exhaust pipes deal...

I worked on a 97 Buick Riveria for a friend, a couple of weeks ago, had to replace both rear calipers (the ratcheting kind). I'm now motivated more than ever to go w/ the S-10 setup!!! Just not sure when...........I'll get it on the car...

Go David, Go!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some pics for encouragement. These are off a 2003 2WD Blazer.

Note the bracket I spot welded onto the axle tube where the rubber hose transitions to hard line. I used the Blazer hoses and modified my hard lines to fit. Fortunately I got the hose brackets with the brake setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0906.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	357997   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0910.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	357998  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 03-24-2014, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe the 2003 Blazers got discs but my 2003 Extreme pickup has drum. I think some of the 90's S-10s did get discs. Not sure why they decided to regress by 2003.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
Here are some pics for encouragement. These are off a 2003 2WD Blazer.

Note the bracket I spot welded onto the axle tube where the rubber hose transitions to hard line. I used the Blazer hoses and modified my hard lines to fit. Fortunately I got the hose brackets with the brake setup.
First swap I've seen with the calipers behind the rear end. Parking brake functional?

Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not yet but it should be fine when I finally get it all done. The 2WD blazer cables pull from the front just like stock GTO cables. I am expecting the intermediate cable to be a PITA to sort out like other rear swaps I've read about, but should be able to deal with it.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I've read being able to safely improvise is a requirement when doing this!

Old 03-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Senior Chief

I have a 2003 s10 zr2 4x4 pu which has rear disk brakes. I also used to own a 1995 of the same model, it had drums. I'm thinking 98 is when they made the change, but can't say for sure.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was helping a buddy not too long ago at the junkyard, and I counted 3 S10 based blazer SUVs with rear disks. I was telling him to use them on his 73 Camaro

I took some quick pictures of the front and the backing plate, let me know if you want them, and I can post them up

Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Use a Lokar Universal P/Brake Cable Kit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I am going to give the disc conversion a shot. Excellent info, especially the cable info. Thank you. I was wondering if Lokar had a cable that worked?......
David,
Lokar makes an excellent E/brake cable kit that eliminates the need to use the old heavy oem cables. They feature smaller diameter Teflon lined housings that you cut to length after laying them out for your setup. I used this kit on both of my rear disc conversions from drums.

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

David -

Was there a reason you didn't want to just grab the whole housing and take it home?

That would (a) be less work out in the field, (b) allow you to pick it over at your leisure at home, and (c) perhaps give you the ability to grab additional parts off it later that you might otherwise have forgotten or overlooked.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926