Old 11-19-2019, 01:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68-72 GTO Le Mans windshield channel repair

Anyone tried to cut out and weld in these repair panels Ames offering ?
Any pics or and feedback ?
A friend is asking about his 68 Gto how to do

Thx a lot !
Some pics ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92FF357C-FB60-460B-9311-57B0E32C4E2B.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	524780  

1965 canandian Parisienne custome sport convertible AZ car. „Sold“
1977 california Firebird Esprit [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 11-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm half way there right now. I see it's the same chevelle piece that I bought locally about two years ago. I've gotten as far as cutting out the upper panel but got stalled there. lots of fab work ahead of me. I already cut the spot welds taking those chevy end brackets off, but I see in your pic you're in the same boat I'm in. the rot on the top of the original goes back deeper than the new piece will cover so you'll be adding material to the top to stretch this panel deep enough to get to good metal on what's left of the top. I don't think it hurts anything but the chevy piece also rolls down on the front edge that should be trimmed off since it should be flush with the top of the original pontiac version as an extension of the top. I don't think it would interfere with anything by leaving the lip there other than looking wrong from underneath.. What stalled me is lack of time along with the fact I've got rot going down into the cowl dip as well so I've got nothing to weld the patch to along the bottom. Material needs to be added there as well to build up what's left of the lower cowl. Very frustrating having to literally build 4 pieces of metal back into a single piece and then hope it actually contours correctly to accept the windshield close enough to actually seal up correctly. Anyways, between lack of time and how complicated the repair will be, I'm not done and the car's buried under junk again. I'm planning on getting everything opened back up to work on it by the end of the week so I can snap some pics of my progress so far. At the rate I'm going, maybe some miracle will happen and someone will offer an actually useful a repair panel that actually works on a pontiac without all the fabrication by the time I actually get moving on this again!

Old 11-19-2019, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AsYou know, the Air nibbler may be your best friend. Metal guide will help make a straight-cut.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All words spoken ..same my friend says ..that’s a lot of work .. the panel should be a great help but it’s still a one million dollar job ...
please keep us updated!!! Pics always welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto4evr View Post
I'm half way there right now. I see it's the same chevelle piece that I bought locally about two years ago. I've gotten as far as cutting out the upper panel but got stalled there. lots of fab work ahead of me. I already cut the spot welds taking those chevy end brackets off, but I see in your pic you're in the same boat I'm in. the rot on the top of the original goes back deeper than the new piece will cover so you'll be adding material to the top to stretch this panel deep enough to get to good metal on what's left of the top. I don't think it hurts anything but the chevy piece also rolls down on the front edge that should be trimmed off since it should be flush with the top of the original pontiac version as an extension of the top. I don't think it would interfere with anything by leaving the lip there other than looking wrong from underneath.. What stalled me is lack of time along with the fact I've got rot going down into the cowl dip as well so I've got nothing to weld the patch to along the bottom. Material needs to be added there as well to build up what's left of the lower cowl. Very frustrating having to literally build 4 pieces of metal back into a single piece and then hope it actually contours correctly to accept the windshield close enough to actually seal up correctly. Anyways, between lack of time and how complicated the repair will be, I'm not done and the car's buried under junk again. I'm planning on getting everything opened back up to work on it by the end of the week so I can snap some pics of my progress so far. At the rate I'm going, maybe some miracle will happen and someone will offer an actually useful a repair panel that actually works on a pontiac without all the fabrication by the time I actually get moving on this again!

Old 11-20-2019, 05:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is the chevelle piece grafted in. Have your windshield handy for fitting and take your time. We trimmed the new piece first, then used it to mark where to cut the old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jouWUKNw.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	524883  

Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice work!

Old 11-20-2019, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd look for a new dash panel. The rust that is forward of front speaker grill for defrost vents is too far gone for this patch panel unless you totally block/remove them. jmo
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=661686

Last edited by 6869GTO; 11-20-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...Epoxy-in the new panel vs a total weld deal.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That’s was his first tuning ,) .
Cutting the rust area from dash top and finally cutting the new panel in place .. lots of fitment .. lots of pre work ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8E6CA5CB-F4F5-4EBF-8C97-4CD0EE398DAA.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	525133   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E6C3ACD-2AC0-4655-A775-497CBA7CD0E6.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	525134   Click image for larger version

Name:	6B411930-6AA1-477F-BD09-BD537ED056A2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	525135  

Old 11-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965 Pontiac Parisienne View Post
That’s was his first tuning ,) .
Cutting the rust area from dash top and finally cutting the new panel in place .. lots of fitment .. lots of pre work ..
Exactly how we did it.
I want to re-skim mine with bondo and make it perfect. I didn't realize that can be seen behind the windshield. Keep that in mind.