Old 11-22-2019, 11:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default And now it's time for another episode of... "WHAT'S THAT NOISE?"

This noise started day before yesterday while climbing a steep hill at freeway speed. It's coming from the driver’s side cylinder head. It worsens on acceleration or climbing uphill. Engine starts missing when you accelerate hard, and it frequently misses. Poor acceleration. There's little or no noise present when going downhill at 40 MPH or less, or when coasting on a level surface. It doesn’t seem to be burning oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Q33-pldWE

Broken rocker, or valve spring? Floating valve?

If I want to look at it with the valve cover off -- is there something I can do to keep oil from getting all over? I saw someone put aluminum foil around the bottom edge of the valve area of a V-8 once, would that help?

Thanks as always for any ideas.

Old 11-22-2019, 11:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had that happen once and it was a broken valve spring. I would take the valve covers off and look with the motor not running. If it is a spring, stud or rocker you should be able to see it.

If you need to do it with the car running, buy yoga mats (yes I said that). You can get them at Tuesday morning and similar places for like $9. They are like giant fender covers that will wrap around whatever you need.

My guess is you will see it as soon as you take the valve cover off

The Following User Says Thank You to 1965gp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2019, 06:52 PM
Senior Chief

The clack sure sounds mechanical, but I had the same exact problem once when a plug wire came loose on me, not bad enough to misfire all the time, but it wouldn't fire under load. Pushed it back on to the plug and voila!

Also, before tearing things apart, I'd check the distributor first, the frequency of the noise seems low, maybe a rotor contacting something in the cap, or the end play is off. Then I'd do a compression test.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:18 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah, I read somewhere that valve train noises occur at ½ of crankshaft speed, but this seems too slow even for that. I'll check the plug connects and the distributor. It does have a non-stock electronic ignition part by Pertronix in the setup, the Igniter II , and it's a bit old. I'll check that as well.