WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Interior Tech

04-06 Interior Tech Everything that goes on inside the GTO. Dash related, Upholstery related, Console related, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2008, 11:05 PM

Default Igition switch problem.

I've been reading over on LS1 about people having problems with the switch on new GTO's. Well it happened to me today on my 04 with 22k miles on it. It was 95 degrees in a hambutger joint parking lot and the ignition would not bunge. I started walking to a parts store while my buddy kept fooling with it. He got it cranked while I was in the store.
Now this is Not what you want to do. The counter guy sold me some powdered graphite. I drove striaght home and and squeed the graphite into the ignition switch and it gummed it up so bad I couldn't get the key in even part way. I spend over an hour squrting WD 40 in the lock and wiping the gunk off the key.
Now this worked. I sprayed WD 40 in the lock and blow it in with computer air cleaner.
I let it soak about three hours and when I tried it again I pulled on the steering wheel lock hard. Thank God it cranked. It feels free now. Wish me luck.