Old 06-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default Electric choke lead?

Hello all-

I wired my electric choke into the wiper motor circuit thinking the wipers shouldn't have power in accessory mode.. I found out recently the wipers do work with the ignition turned (to the left) in accessory mode.

Not really a big deal but it would be nice to listen to the radio without having the choke heat up while the car isnt running. I found the car runs crappy once attempting to start since the choke thinks the car is warm when the flap really needs to be closed.

So can anyone please recommend an easy source to get a switched 12 volt power source? I would like to stay away from tapping into the fuse block since there are too many wires in there already.

Thanks all.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a two prong oil pressure switch. Tee it in with your existing oil pressure switch and run the choke wire through the new switch. The choke thermostat will only have power when the engine is running.

Depending on what oil pressure guage you're using now, if electric, there may be a factory 3 prong oil pressure switch availible to take care of oil pressure and the choke wires. It's what some of the early to mid 80's carbureted cars used for oil pressure and choke power. Later model 3 prong showed oil pressure and contolled power to electric fuel pumps. If you can find one that has the right ohm reading for your guage/light hooking up the choke would be simple.

Probably some other possibilities if we knew what you was working on and what kind of charging and ignition systems it has. Might be several options availible using relays.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Senior Chief

I am currently using an aftermarket oil pressure gauge kit. This is the kind that takes a tube from the oil filter fitting and runs to the gauge itself. The leads from the harness must still be there, so I will look for them.
I never thought of doing this, so thanks for the tip

Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

I ended up tapping the directional signal circuit. Oddly, the wiper and heater each work off accessory mode. Those oil pressure sending unit lead would have been a good option but I found no power going to it.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGenFB View Post
Those oil pressure sending unit lead would have been a good option but I found no power going to it.
You would had to have bought one of the two prong switches to Tee in, and then used the original hot (wiper) wire to one side of the pressure switch and came off the other terminal of the pressure switch back to the choke thermostat. Then the choke would only have power with engine running.

Good deal that your better than you was.