Old 06-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default AM-FM & Seperate 8 track

I will be using the original AM FM radio in the 71 GTO. I will also be using an aftermarket 8-track player with it's own amp. Both will be going into the same speakers. As I understand I need a switch of some sort to prevent one from bleeding back into the other, through the speaker wires, & causing damage...

Is the switch needed and can you tell me where to get one of these switches. I'm working on the console & mounting the 8 track so I'll be ready to wire everything prety soon.. thanx laz

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 06-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A DPDT switch (double pole double throw) would work as long as all the speakers are common ground. The speaker left and right + leads would go on the center terminals of the switch. The 8 track + leads would go on one side of the switch and the radio + leads would go on the other side. This assumes 2 speakers which could also be front and rear depending on your car. If you have more than 2 speakers you probably want to get an amp. You should be able to get a switch at Radio Shack or any auto parts store. Jim

Old 06-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

spoke with Radio Shak, Best Buy Car Audio & a local audio shop... none of them had anything I could use to seperate the two..

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Just thinking

Check the speaker ground (-) wires to case (on both units) with an ohm meter to see if it's standard ground and not some high powered bi-amp system.
If both are regular stereos where speaker (-) return goes straight to ground, diodes in the speaker (+) wires would stop any feed back. Wouldn't want to but both units could actually play at the same time.
An on off on type toggle switch in the power supply wires would only let one unit work at a time.

I'm not a stereo person, I prefer listening to engines sing, so get some input from someone in the know before trying something like this.