Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Default Later Pontiac motor in 55-57 Chassis

I know there is some threads on the board here about this, but much of the information is scattered about and hidden. I have a few questions about the install. I know some of the guys here have done it. I have been doing research on putting a later Pontiac motor (post 1959) into an earlier chassis (55-57 Pontiac). I know about fabricating side mounts and a later trans mount. Got that.

My questions are about installing an early timing cover on later motors and using the factory style front mount (chin mount).

Okay: Please let me know if I have this right:

1960 cover was the first year of "normal" cooling and earlier timing covers are for the "reverse flow" cooling. The 1960 timing cover is not aluminum and has the mounting surfaces necessary - I think.

Crank diameter is smaller on the 1960 cover (and earlier) and the best mod is to bore out the crank hole and install a newer seal as stated in this:

http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Garag...ealUpgrade.pdf

===== Questions: =====

1. I appears that later covers (later motors) have the same mounting surfaces to use a "chin mount". Are these covers not used because of the material used or in fact do these cover not have the mounting surfaces?

2. If using the 1960 cover on later motor, what must be done with some of the smaller water passages? I would seem there is holes that do not mate up.

3. Is there any block modifications that need to be done? Ie, drill/tap any holes in the block or cover?

4. What year gasket is recommended?

Thanks for reading and I hope to get some responses

PS: I am asking these same questions on other boards also just in case you read it there.....