Old 05-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default turnsignal issues on my 71

I put the battery back in the 71 GTO that I have been restoring & turned the key for the first time in six monmths, today, just to check the lights & connections (not ready to start the motor yet)
Everything worked (head lights, tail lights front turn signals, brake lights) but the left rear turn signal wouldn't work. Checked the bulbs. Checked connections & used a test light on the yellow wire all the way to the dash with no luck. Changed the signal stat... got what seemed like a surge & now none of the turn signals work. Fuse is intact, checked all the obvious grounds.

When I step on the brake now the turn signal indicaters in the dash both light up... any thoughts or help would be appreciated..

http://www.gogtoaa.com/leibys%20rides.html
Old 05-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a bad ground. Check the ground wire that connects next to the trunk latch striker inside the trunk (sheet metal screw to the striker mount), a poor connection there will cause this.
HTH,

Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanx
When I put it back together I used a star washer & made sure that screw had good contact...

Old 06-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW
FLASHER is in the hot wire going to the turn signals. It just sets there untill a load is put on it, ie. when you activate the turn signals. So if any turn signals work, there's nothing wrong with the flasher.
TURN SIGNALS are seperated front/back and left/right in the turn signal switch. So if you have a front turn signal and not a rear, after checking everything and following the wire all the way to the turn signal connector, something is wrong inside the turn signal switch. Could be a loose/broken wire or dirty/worn contacts.
-----------------------------------------------
Now; what was the "..." between changing signal stat and got what seemed like a surge. Something happened during "..." that created more problems.

Fill in the blank during "..." and describe the surge a little better, and well see what we can figure out. Orginal problem was simple but now, just need some more info.

Shot in the dark: disconnect body ribbon from rear harness in the trunk and let us know what the turn indicators do when you push the brake pedal. If they still light up, somethings up with turn signal switch or wires in column.

Another shot in the dark: Hazard lights use a seperate flasher, AND IF that flasher is bad or missing and the hazzard lights are turned on, turn signals wont work and turn indicators will light when you mash the brakes.

Need some updated info. This can be figured out.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanx,
I did as you said & unplugged the rear ribbon from under the dash. When I stepped on the brakes both turn signal indicators in the dash illuminated. I taped the column up like crazy before we media blasted but I'm guessing there is some debris in the column that may be causing the problem.

I'll be dragging an old, rotted 71 GT 37 home in the next week or so & should be able to salvage any parts I need from that

Old 06-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Double check emergency/hazard flasher button before you do much more.
You didn't say if the emergency flashers work or not, but if the button is pushed in on it at all, turn signals wont work and turn indicators will light when you mash the brake.

Would hate to see you do a bunch of work if you don't have to.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll do that first thing this morning

Old 06-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Double check emergency/hazard flasher button before you do much more.
You didn't say if the emergency flashers work or not, but if the button is pushed in on it at all, turn signals wont work and turn indicators will light when you mash the brake.

Would hate to see you do a bunch of work if you don't have to.
As you indicated, the emergency flasher button was pushed in... Once I pulled it up & did some tinkering I got everything working... I owe you a beer or two at the Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk... Corona OK?