Old 06-05-2009, 01:33 PM

Default Dash lights

I just got my 68 Firebird on the road and most of the lights work from the outside.The problem is in the dash.No dash lights,turn signal indicator shows up in the high beam indiator unless the headlights are on.Seems like a ground but I'm not sure where to start?Also got a new OER front turn signal housing that the spring conectors won't compress enough to let it take a bulb?

Old 06-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First check the dash light fuse. It's the shortest one in the fuse box AND it's only hot when lights are turned on. Checking it with a test light, the test light will bright and dim when you turn the head light knob, like the dash lights are SUPPOSE to do.
(1) NO POWER on the fuse, make sure tail light fuse is good. If tail light fuse is good, bright/dim rheostat spring could be broke or contacts worn out, corroded, etc..
(2) FUSE DOES HAVE POWER; pull instrument cluster to check bulbs and terminal connections. Need to do that anyhow to check out the suspected ground problem.

Light socket; Sometimes it helps to pull on the wires (compressing springs) while trying to get the bulb in. Just don't get carried away. If the lead contacts on the bulb are too blunt around the edges, taper them a little with a file or sandpaper.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the reply.Will the dash have an obvious groud once I get it apart?I don't know about the light socket.There,s just no way.Wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

Old 06-06-2009, 03:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a ground wire in the main plug-in/connector in the back of the instrument cluster. Some connections clamp down with twist in bulb sockets through the printed circuit into the back of the cluster. So there's lots of room for failure with age. It'll be obvious once you get into it.

Adding a screw down wire and running it to something solid under the dash will cure most of the common ground problems.

Try posting in the tech section for your car, a few folks have had to buy those replacement light housings and maybe someone will pick up on it there.

I've cut a few of the old ones and converted them to pop in or twist in sockets before I knew about repro stuff. And probably still would.

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 06-06-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the help.I'll give it a try.