Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 PM

Location: Berkeley, Sacramento and in the Mother Lode of the Sierra Foothills on an old gold mine
Default wobble in distributor Sprint 6

also in parts wanted --but sort of techical question re affect of wobble--precluding breakerless replacement kit--
Since it took me a month to track down a fuel pump-this should be fun. I found out today the lack of power I had is probably the fault of my distributor--original 54K and when Dwell readings were fluxuating we doug into distributor and found a fairly loose points assembly--is that normal for it to shift around? and the shaft itself has a little play--bushings shot? So looking for repacement--PY and OPGI seem to not have any oem style just HEI and breakerless replacement kits Probably good but not stock like I'd like to stay. Question if I can't get stock distrib, with the wobble in the shaft --does that rule out using the Petronix or other "breakerless" kits inside the old original distrib? Would the wobble in the shaft also affect the new repacement ? Any suggestions where to get distributor? thanks--Kerry

Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a stock points distributor(rebuilt) from O'Reilly for my 64 389. They may have(or be able to get) one.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd say a points replacement may give you issues; a magnetic type pickup will suffer gap changes when running; may not be an issue if the maximum gap still gives you a signal. Minimum gap should not be too small to avoid mechanical contact. A lobe-sensing variety would be the worst in a mag-pickup unit, i would think. The type with a ring magnet that slips over the lobes would be better.

A Hall- effect sensor has a shutter wheel running in a small gap; too much radial play may cause mechanical contact also.

See if you can get the bushings replaced; if they are not available, perhaps a machinist with a small lathe can make some.

george

Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The plate that the points attach to pivots for the vacuum advance and is easily moved about by hand. Wobbling shaft is best determined by an analog dwell meter, watch the needle move. Two or three degrees is not much to worry about. Just because the shaft wobbles when you force it to move does not mean it affects normal performance.

Are you a member of the OHC6 forums? http://sohcsix.yuku.com/directory for the biggest group of OHC6 and Sprint enthusiasts, many of whom have lots of larts to sell and swap. It should not have taken you a month to find a fuel pump

Old 06-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Clearance on the shaft/bushings should be .0009 on the low side to .0015 on the high side. I did not dream up these numbers these are factory clearances.

"2 or 3 degrees is not much to worry about."...... If that was dwell degrees it may not seem like much, but it translates into 4 or 6 crank degrees of timing.

It can be fixed rather easily, just need a little machinework, but first make sure that is what you need and not just a new set of points and/or a new breaker plate.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 AM

Location: Berkeley, Sacramento and in the Mother Lode of the Sierra Foothills on an old gold mine
Default not getting better

Still want to stay stock so thought all was good when Local NAPA store said they had New OEM replacement in stock--stopped by and no such thing. Best is A1 Cardone rebuilt out of Philly-- 2wks ~47+ --Guy working on car is really against rebuilt and couple people on forum offered Used? units for ~35 shipped--but would they be any better than what I have now? How to know. The play I described is laterally and the change in the Dwell meter was from 30 dropping to like 15 or 12 intermittently. We also found the points were a little fried and 2 only of the contacts in the cap showed a little burning.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Change in the dwell is too much. You need to correct that.

George