Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I ordered the complete decal package from Phoenix Grapics, I didn't order the "Pre Molded" stripes , because I didn't think Id be replacing every one in a total paint job. So I guess I have the generic ones that come with the kit. Has anyone used them successfully, or should I just call back and shell out for the pre molded ones? Also, should we paint the nose a little lighter then the car, since that seems to be the way they were originally delivered?

Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used their premolded Special Edition pinstripes. I would not do it any other way.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 07-27-2017, 02:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Is there any factory overspray, other then underneath the hood that I should be replicating at this point? Not worried about the bottom of the car from the firewall back, as that will be addressed when I detail out the bottom.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As the car finishes up, I ask this question. The car has a replacement windshield with a big "Safelight' logo on it. Since the moldings are not back on , nows the time to replace it. I see Ames has replacement windshields for around 450 {I believe}. How many of you guys would check all glass, and consider it an issue? Im torn on this decision.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Fresh, unmarked glass is better than tired and somewhat original glass. No one will even look at the glass unless you try to sell the car as a 5-mile museum piece once complete.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it depends on what your plans are for the car and your pocketbook. If your are planning to get the car judged then you should really give it ample consideration. If your pocketbook supports, then you should probably also consider it since it is already bothering you to some degree. Pilkington Glass sells date coded glass and is located in Ohio where I believe your car is also located. It would probably be a better option than our host because I would suspect that Ames is just having it drop shipped anyway from Pilkington or another supplier.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I think it depends on what your plans are for the car and your pocketbook. If your are planning to get the car judged then you should really give it ample consideration. If your pocketbook supports, then you should probably also consider it since it is already bothering you to some degree. Pilkington Glass sells date coded glass and is located in Ohio where I believe your car is also located. It would probably be a better option than our host because I would suspect that Ames is just having it drop shipped anyway from Pilkington or another supplier.
Great advice I think Ill contact Pikingtion and get a quote.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:12 AM
Suspended

Then you have correctly dated incorrect glass. From an originality and points view I'm not sure that's any better than having any other screen.

Old 12-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
Then you have correctly dated incorrect glass. From an originality and points view I'm not sure that's any better than having any other screen.
I did find an original 1979 non antennae used windshield . Paid 100 bucks at a Camaro/ Firebird used parts place. My restorer is hesitating because its 40 years old, and obviously not perfect. Is the Ames repro a good piece?

Old 12-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would definitely rather have a brand new windshield, regardless of brand, rather than use an old used one.

I'm not a fan of Safelite, since I have one and it just seems to be lower quality than other brands I've used. If you can get a Pilkington, that would be my 1st choice. I have a Pilkington in my 75 Lemans that I put in about 14 years ago, and it's always looked great. I believe PPG auto glass became Pilkington, so it's good quality.

You don't have to order a windshield for your TA from somewhere else and have to pay for shipping, packing, and handling and wait for it. Check with some local auto glass installers in your area. If you're close to any fairly large metro area, the auto glass guy should have access to a windshield warehouse where he can get one for you. And it costs far less. Remember that Camaros use the same windshield too. So, if he can get you a Pilkington locally, that would be best in my opinion. Or I would accept any brand other than Safelite. So, checking around with local auto glass suppliers and installers is what I'd do.

I don't know what Ames sells. They might sell AMD (Auto Metal Direct) windshields, which is a company that has them reproduced. And they seem to be good. I bought one, but it's not installed and if it were where I could look, I'd look for a logo on it to see how it looks. But, as I said, I wouldn't order one from somewhere where it would have to be shipped, since that's the most expensive way.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Fresh, unmarked glass is better than tired and somewhat original glass. No one will even look at the glass unless you try to sell the car as a 5-mile museum piece once complete.
Only windshields out there are with antennas. Now since my car has a power antenna, this would not be correct.. Now let me ask this, for 179 bucks would the wrong style windshield hurt the value of this car? How many of you guys would even notice this obvious restoration mistake?

Old 12-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Suspended

Leaving the windscreen out completely might affect value

Old 12-26-2017, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott, your over thinking buddy. Most of the people who buy these cars, are usually not that knowledgeable. Lot of knowledge on this site, but hardly any buyers!

Old 12-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Didn't they install the windshield with the antenna even if you had a power antenna?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-27-2017, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny, I was wondering the same thing. Both my 79 & 80 have power antenna's & original glass. For the life of me I couldn't tell you if either car has a windshield antenna.
I will look next time I am near the cars.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-27-2017, 08:02 AM
Senior Chief

I would go with non antenna repro glass. X2 on Johns thoughts!!! Fred

Old 03-23-2018, 07:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
I would go with non antenna repro glass. X2 on Johns thoughts!!! Fred
So what we decided to do was buff the glass that's on the car. We feel we can remove the Safco emblem , that's down low in the middle of the windshield. A guy who parts out these cars sent two replacement original windshield' from his shop across the street. Both had gold tint across the top instead of the proper? blue. My restorer, Bill, rejected both because of this flaw.Whats left to do now, is apply the decals, buff the car, redye a few interior pieces. Now the motor detailing is next. Did someone tell me a person could have great access to the motor by simply removing the inner fenders? Will try to post a picture soon.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:46 AM

It is not gold tint across the top it is 40 year old sun faded blue tint!

Old 03-26-2018, 06:35 AM
Suspended

Oh wow, we're doing that again. Just buy a windscreen and put it in. If anyone is going to check the details to see if the windscreen is original I'm sure they have more than that to distract them. Original parts are only suitable if in perfect condition. No point bragging about the original paint if it flaked off with the rust.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Oh wow, we're doing that again. Just buy a windscreen and put it in. If anyone is going to check the details to see if the windscreen is original I'm sure they have more than that to distract them. Original parts are only suitable if in perfect condition. No point bragging about the original paint if it flaked off with the rust.
Original paint is now base coat /clear coat.