Old 01-14-2010, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Professional Products Crosswind intake w/shaker?

I've got a tomahawk/hurricane single plane intake on my '77 and I'm starting to not like it. I'm sick of that dead spot when you accelerate. I've been looking at the crosswind but I'm not sure it's going to fit under the shaker. If it dosen't work I'll probably put the cast intake back on it. Anyone have one? I can't find any info on it to see if it works with a t/a shaker hood.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the answer for intake/shaker problems..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wfo11.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	193830   Click image for larger version

Name:	474 186.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	193833  

Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah Larry, I think I'm going to order 2 from you actually. I want one for my 77 and I'm turning my 71 Esprit into a T/A. I've got a top off a 76 for the 71 but I want a base. Car is going to see some road course time so I want a better flowing setup. Not to mention they look cool as hell lol.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you're ready to order, shoot me an email at
wfotech@comcast.net

Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 AM

Where is the dead spot when you accellerate?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you abruptly hit the throttle either from a dead stop or the car is cruising and you hit the throttle hard there is a dead spot where it almost just dies for a second then it starts to go. I've learned you have to roll the throttle slowly through that dead spot and then you can really get on it. It's weird. With the factory intake and quadrajet you could just pound the throttle and it would take off. I've messed with the carb and it's getting a good fuel mix, I just think that single plane is a bad combo for a street car.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

YOU DON'T WANT TO TOUCH anything FROM professional products,I luckily had the P.P. damper taken off my 462 Olds in my 68 442 before I had it dropped in.
Some one informed me of this crap product from China,and yep,some one else put one on in the shop where mine was built on there car,and boooom!....grenaded!
I wont have any Chinese crap on any of my cars...screw the commie bastards.
Oh,I called the company too,they admitted the country of origin is CHINA.

1968 442-gone but not forgotten
"Oh,you can think about it,.....but don't do it!"
Sheriff Bufford T.Justice
Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used a 50 cc accell pump to cure the problem you are describing with my Holley/Hurricane combo. I also have a nitrous plate under my carb. I'm very happy with the combo and also use the WFO aircleaner assembly. You can also tune using different accel pump cams.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 AM

The hesitation described is a fuel delivery problem. The single plane requires more of a shot and changing the location of the arm on q-jet may help that out. Thomasmoto cured the problem with a mod to the accelerator pump. That makes sense to me.

A single plane intake doesn't have the same pulse as a dual plane. PMD engineers really designed a very good dual plane unit for our Pontiacs. Moving to a single plane typically changes things that require adjustments.

Keep in mind that with many high powered Pontiac race engines a high flow Edelbrock Victor is used to compliment the rest of the engine and higher rpm use.

When I first read the post from Bonneville Joe I thought for a moment it was similar to what I was experiencing with my 77 Corvette. It was a dog from idle to 3000 because of the single plane street dominator and converter. When a dual plane was reinstalled and the converter changed back to near stock, the car performed much better. For low rpm use a dual plane is hard to beat!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:07 PM

I have the same problem with my stock 1978 L-78. I had the carb rebuilt but still have the same kind of dead spot. Would a bad/weak fuel pump be the problem? Thanks for any help, Robin Bailer

Old 05-28-2010, 09:53 AM

CMK-2
I have found the stock fuel pump provides adequate fuel to a q-jet in most street 400 applications. Even my 406 with all it's current power building mods can handle it. The q-jet is probably in need of work. The system, and I'm no expert, runs off an idle system and then graduates to the main metering. That first "pop" when you hit the pedal hard should provide a sizeable spurt of fuel from the primaries so there is no "dead" spot. IMO if your fuel pump is not providing adequate fuel, there would be loss of power at high rpm, just before a gear change, a loss of power like a nose dive. You may want to double check your gasoline filter. If in doubt, get a new one. The other thing is the location of the accelerator pump arm. It should be in the inner hole position to get the biggest spurt of gas.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Thanks Bill,
I was thinking fuel filter as I was writing my question. I'll go a head and change it. Robin