THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-09-2023, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anybody into 65 and 67 Cadillacs?

I know of two "garage find" Cadillac 2 door sedans for sale in the city of Chicago. Bring a trailer or two. A 1965 and a 1967. It's an estate and the family wants them gone. Neither has been started in 10 years. The 1965 is in fair shape and I'm told the 1967 has some rust.

Interestingly the white 1965 used the belong to Paul Powell. Everyone over 60 in Illinois knows who he was. If not look up Paul Powell shoeboxes.

Just trying to help the widow. They'd like these gone in a couple of weeks if possible. I heard the son is "going to fix them up someday", but I'm told it's beyond his means. Probably beyond most people's means. No idea on the values since I haven't seen them in person yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caddys.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	617730  

Old 08-09-2023, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

body issues they arent worth much

family car was a 67 SedanDeVille
one year for Christmas I put a gallon of R&M lacquer in a box and wrapped it.
Dad opened it and said wow its the same color as the Caddy,does this include installation?
worst decision ever... no rust or dents just tired paint. I removed every piece of chrome
Clear coat made that navy blue metallic pop.A buddy that owned a shop said"thats a $2k paint job"
and this was in the late 70s
I ll state the obvious thats a big car and no easy way to do a good paint job without removing every bit of trim.

Old 08-09-2023, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty cool! I have my dad's '64 that I'm debating what to do with.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suspect that both of those "complete Caddys" have interested following, and thus potentially excitable buyers. Ebay, FB MKTplace, i dunno about... Caddy forms?

The defunct "Great Valley Junkyard" was full of such Caddys, and the owner was very keen on those cars. I pulled a few TH400s from them mid-60s Caddys; great Cores. The Delco Stereos too. FM had the station motorized seek capability.

Old 08-09-2023, 07:29 PM

Those Caddys would most definitely bring some good coin.

I doubt they’re rusty enough to not become nice drivers, even if one of them is too rusty it’s still a wealth of nice parts.

Put them up for auction and you’ll probably be surprised at how much they’ll sell for, they have a huge following.

Back in the day nobody who was anyone drove a BMW or a Mercedes, they owned a Cadillac.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Back in the day nobody who was anyone drove a BMW or a Mercedes, they owned a Cadillac.
True, but of course; neither of those brands was remotely comparable- BMW had zero in the luxury segment, and MB's were a decade & a half behind, at least.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:03 PM
Senior Chief

You'll probably get few takers if you're trying to flip and most likely won't get much for them. While bigger luxobarges are finally getting the attention they deserve, the niche is still rather small. If you're looking at keeping them, getting them running, or restore, they may be decent candidates. You won't get back what you put into them though unless prices skyrocket in the future....which could eventually happen. The last true rear wheel drive luxobarge basically ended with the demise of the Towncar in 2011.

1959-1964 is where my interest are for the Caddy's and IMO, '65' was the beginning of the end of true Cadillac quality. By the late 60's, they had way too much cheap plastic and the 70's were riddled with poor quality, fit and finish, ect like a lot of a GM stuff of the time.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looked around E-bay and some other sale sites for those 2 years. Obviously, need a good inspection and rust evaluation but the Hagerty valuation tool has one in running condition, more or less the way you described at around 10K tops, running for the 65 and around 12K for the 67. In what they consider "Good" condition, which I doubt either of these cars would qualify, they have the 65 at 17K and the 67 19K. All those estimates seem high to me based on what I see big GM cars from that era going for right now. The big car market seems to be one of the few buyers markets currently. There are several full size Pontiacs for sale on this forum that are priced at about half of what was typical just 2-3 years ago. I wish I had the money and space, I would have a couple of them in my possession right now.

Old 08-09-2023, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
Pretty cool! I have my dad's '64 that I'm debating what to do with.
Have FIL's '75 and in the same boat. Pun intended!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67916547892__D21D2BDD-ACE0-49D6-9CC8-348C7619A29F.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	617795  

TOM

Last edited by salem1912; 08-09-2023 at 11:06 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salem1912 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 12:51 AM

The 472 and 500 cubic inch Cadillacs of the late 60s and early ‘70s were real powerhouses. The front wheel drive Eldorado was blessed with the 500 engine.

The 1969 & 1970 high compression engines had 375 and 400 horsepower respectively, those big beasts could really move.

I remember racing one in 1979 in my ‘66 VW that ran in the high-13s. I had 3 people riding with me so that slowed my bug down considerably but anyway I was racing against a ‘69 or ‘70 472 Cad that also had a full load of passengers.

I ran door to door with him up to about 90 mph, that big barge was surprisingly fast.

Right out of high school in 1977 I had a friend whose parents always had a newer Cadillac that he would take out on some nights and just go nuts with, burning rubber for blocks.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is someone somewhere that would have an interest in those. They may not be as bad as they look once uncovered. I dont think either one will ever be a big dollar car and like any restoration the money put into them will be lost. Should be no problem getting rid of them for free but it would be nice to see them go to a caddy guy.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I had the room, I would love to have one. I had a '58 and a '62 back when I was in my 20s in the early 1980s.
My cousin/roommate had a '64 and a '65 during the same period. Nothing rides like a mid sixties Caddy.

Old 08-10-2023, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
If I had the room, I would love to have one. I had a '58 and a '62 back when I was in my 20s in the early 1980s.
My cousin/roommate had a '64 and a '65 during the same period. Nothing rides like a mid sixties Caddy.
22 y.o. me and my 22 y.o. Caddy

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, love that one, Greg!

I'll bet we miss the cars and the bodies from those days. ))

Old 08-10-2023, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking at the picture of the two Cadillacs, I noticed a similarity that is shared with the GTO of the era. Not the stacked headlights, but something else. Both 65 Caddy and GTO had turn signal in the bumper. Beginning in 66, both cars had the park/signal lamps moved into the center of the grille.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love '60s Cadillacs. Biggest problem with these cars is the engines before 1968 had multiple year to year changes that makes getting parts and keeping them running more difficult than the 472\500 engines after 1968. They're great runners, but rebuilding the engines and heads is expensive and speed parts are limited to non-existent (not that these cars were ever built to go super fast) so you're stuck with mostly factory stuff. It's hardly an insurmountable problem, but it's kind of like Pontiac v8s changing from 1956-1965 in this timeframe.

After you've solved that it comes down to what the interiors are like. If the seats are trashed they're expensive to redo, but the real problem is the door panels and dashes if they're ratty or trashed. If you've ever done a big Pontiac resto, it's even more expensive and harder to get parts (or harder to get them *quickly*) for the interior.

After that, body. Doing a paint job is crazy expensive just because of the amount of chrome and other trinkets all over the bodies that need to be removed. Rust repair? Good luck finding replacement panels, you're fabricating what you need or finding a rare dry metal car from out west (and paying through the nose accordingly). Suspension parts are also unusual and year to year specific to Cadillac too in this era (not unlike any other GM '60s B car).

No doubt there is a demand for these cars. They're amazing cruisers and are so much fun to drive around in and nice examples have held their value and will likely continue to do so. But if they're used up trashed cars, it's going to be more difficult to sell them for any big money. Plenty of people on the bookfaces will tell me I'm stupid and that they're super valuable and you can always just LS one but... yeah good luck with that. I'm sure you could find someone who just has to have it and doesn't care if it runs if you price it accordingly. Cadillac guys also tend to like multiples so you might find someone who will buy them both.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ben M. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only way I advise ANYONE to buy a late 60's Caddy 2 door is IF they had a same year Caddy convert project that needed nicer trim, possibly some really cherry interior parts from a far Northern garaged car.

Any other use, the costs are astronomical for any kind of return w a Caddy LuxoBarge. CRAZY money to have bumpers show plated, brightwork restored. Metal & body work, some mighty large panels... In the 90's, I dealt w two Caddy restorers both bought certain nice used early 60's -1970 model Cadillac pieces from me. Both had multiple Caddy convert projects going for customers. Out cleaning the Pick-N-Pulls & crusher yards, also had a little over two dozen specialty core pieces I'd pull off the late 60's-70 era Caddys. Some options would also pull for own retail. Wholesale specialty core parts were what kept the snowball going. Occasionally, when had a buyer, would pull a nice rear bumper, fender, or specific interior piece. Had one fellow, will call him the FenderSkirt King, who must have bought 20 pairs of fender skirts off of two of us. Both Caddy restoration services are no more. East OKC had an old stock Caddy/Lincoln Salvage for decades, but w/o any specialty services offered, it eventually died on the vine, closed, & crushed out.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Parts weren't easy to get even back when I had mine. Someone told me about an old guy right in the middle of downtown Atlanta that had a yard with nothing but Cadillacs dating from the '50s going back to the 1920s. I bought a master cylinder rebuild kit from him after Brake-O almost got me killed by trying to make one for me... without telling me that by the way.
That '58 in the photo above is what got me my first GTO. It was a very nice, clean survivor car but it just wasn't for 22 year old me. I drove it to a small neighborhood dealership and saw a Mayfair Maize GTO with a bent endura bumper that they'd just gotten in as a trade. I told the owner that I'd give him my Caddy and 100 dollar bill for the GTO. He pulled out a receipt book.
I had a '62 Coupe that I liked a lot better. I'd love to have that one back.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:44 PM

No doubt 'show-boat' restoration costs are considerable on Cadillacs, but every decent, sitting project car does not need NOR warrants a show-boat resto. I'm not sure why so many folk assume that is the only end goal (NOS parts, show chrome, etc etc). Mechanical refurbishment and then, as time & money allow; some cosmetics. Meantime: drive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WQ59B For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WQ59B View Post
No doubt 'show-boat' restoration costs are considerable on Cadillacs, but every decent, sitting project car does not need NOR warrants a show-boat resto. I'm not sure why so many folk assume that is the only end goal (NOS parts, show chrome, etc etc). Mechanical refurbishment and then, as time & money allow; some cosmetics. Meantime: drive.
This.

Get the cars mechanically sound, detailed and then start driving them. If they ran 10 years ago they should be able to run again without too much work.

Not every old car needs to be nicely restored to be enjoyable. As long as they’re roadworthy and not rotten to the core or structurally unsafe they can be a lot of fun for small money.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post: