Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Vacuum pump installation questions

I've gotta run a vacuum pump to operate my hideaways and power brakes. Where have you guys mounted them and who's did you use?

Thanks

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:16 PM

270Win--

I recently purchased the Summit brand. I had trouble finding a spot to mount it and wound up mounting it on the front of the engine, passenger side. This was not a problem for me to do as I have no AC in place and don't expect to have any of the compressor and brackets mounted for some time (may never again). The vac hose from the unit runs along the heater hoses and they runs between the back of the carb and the distributor over to the filter and then on to the brake booster. I have not set this in permanently at this point and could take it out in 15 minutes or less. As for wiring, I tapped into the HEI power (pink) line and the positive wire runs along the passenger valve cover to the unit. The negative is attached to the ground strap on the firewall near the distributor. There is a built in 12 Amp fuse on the unit.

My power brakes were not receiving enough pulse to properly operate my 4 wheel disc brakes. It felt like a manual. Mods to the engine reduced the vac. The increase in vacuum made a big difference.

As for noise--it runs intermittently and only for several seconds. Not an issue.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks!
Do you have any pics of the setup?

I was also thinking about a hydroboost power steering setup to get the needed vacuum. I'm going to do some experimenting with tuning to see how much vacuum I can get out of it. Last time I messed with it, it was 8.5"hg at idle...but it was out of tune.

I'm trying to stay as stock looking as possible so I'm not sure I want the electric pump unless it can be hidden...

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM

I'll take a few photos and post.

Hydroboost is another method that will work.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyle View Post
I'll take a few photos and post.

Hydroboost is another method that will work.
I have been thinking about that. Especially if my ps pump is fried...

Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 PM

270--I posted the photo on my website forum. I couldn't get it to appear here. So, click on the link below.

http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4611

Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

cool! thanks for the link too!