Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-25-2023, 12:05 PM

Default 455 Rebuild - Which heads? And, to stroke or not to stroke....

I am working on gathering parts to rebuild my 455. It's a YC block, .030 overbore, with #96 d port heads.

My plan is to upgrade to aluminum heads. For the longest time, I only wanted ported Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. But, as I'm gathering parts and researching, I've "heard" (internet rumor) that the Kaufmann Racing Heads are equal or of better design.

Is there a preference to either head? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

Next: Crankshaft. I currently have a factory 455 "N" crank. But, I'm considering going with a forged crank with 4.25" stroke and 2.20 rod journals. Again, any advantage/disadvantage going with the 4.25" stroke on my 455? Would keeping my current crankshaft and upgrading to h-beam rods/Ross pistons work fine?

Lastly, I currently have a standard Performer intake due to the Shaker clearance. I am running the Holley Sniper and plan to keep that. But, will a Torker II or RPM be the better choice? Meaning, yes, I know those intakes will make a huge difference in power compared to the standard Performer, but will having to use a drop-base air cleaner negate any performance gain of those intakes?

Thanks!!

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 6-Speed, LS6 block, TEA LS6 heads, 4" SCAT forged crank, SCAT H-Beam rods, 226/234 cam, McLeod RST clutch, SLP Lid, SLP Power Flo Catback
1980 Pontiac Trans Am Y-84 Bandit WS6, 455 (.030 over), #96 Heads, Hedman headers, Wolverine 234/244 cam, Performer intake, Holley Sniper
"Need a car to run blocker. Speedy car. Speedier than that....."
Old 08-25-2023, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 78 still has a massaged Shaker base with a T2. Tight but OK. Has run 10.90s with 2 different 455 with it and only a slight wedge spacer to get the angle an the Shaker perfect. Both motors used stock 455 cranks, but aftermarket rods and pistons.

It depends on if you have D port headers already. I have seen some guys make good power with D port KRE heads but I think a lot more work to get the same flow as the round port E heads. 2" headers a little easier on the round port motors.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-25-2023, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The big question you need to answer for your own good is this.

How much HP do you want to make.

After this the next question is a A and B .
The A part of it you need to answer is how much hp do you think you need ?

The B section is how much is good drivability important to you.

Keep this in mind.

Your stock 96 castings along with Headers can make you a easy 390 hp with the Performer intake along with excellent idle and drivability.

As you step up in the level of intake air flow a head can provide your going to start a trade off process between drivability and top end HP.

Once you get to the point where you have a head on the motor that your not making full use of the intake air flow it can provide, then your really going to trade off idle quality, drivability under 3000 rpm and the level of HP you where looking to make will not be achieved either.

Most of the aftermarket heads even out of the box flow like 260 intake cfm@28” and should make you 500 HP while not effecting your drivability with even 455 cid, no less stroking it larger.

If you have never even driven a car with a motor making a solid 450 hp then don’t go over board paying for and installing parts to make 600 HP.

Don’t go over board with Flow numbers and or HP just to have short lived bragging rights!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD2000TA View Post
I am working on gathering parts to rebuild my 455. It's a YC block, .030 overbore, with #96 d port heads.

My plan is to upgrade to aluminum heads. For the longest time, I only wanted ported Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. But, as I'm gathering parts and researching, I've "heard" (internet rumor) that the Kaufmann Racing Heads are equal or of better design.

Is there a preference to either head? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each?

Thanks!!
There are different camps on that subject. Kauffman makes a nice head but one of the things I noticed that I like about Edelbrock better (at least on the older ones I've had my hands on) is the use of helicoils in the threads. Thought that was a nice touch as most aluminum heads don't bother with that. This is rarely if ever mentioned. It's the small details

Either head would get you to a nice power level.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 08-25-2023, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set of Butler 290 cfm D port E heads shaved from 87 to 81cc in the bird. And on the shelf I have a set of 85cc KRE 310 D ports. Both have the heart shaped chamber design and folks on here have had great results with both. One thing I recall with a friend’s set of off the shelf KRE D-Ports is Paul Carter built the engine and said some of the threads for the rocker arms pulled out of the heads and he had to install heli-coils. It’s my understanding E-heads have steel thread inserts in all or most areas.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 08-25-2023, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Of course Larry Tree’d me!

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 08-25-2023, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Of course Larry Tree’d me!
LOL

Old 08-25-2023, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD2000TA View Post

Lastly, I currently have a standard Performer intake due to the Shaker clearance. I am running the Holley Sniper and plan to keep that. But, will a Torker II or RPM be the better choice? Meaning, yes, I know those intakes will make a huge difference in power compared to the standard Performer, but will having to use a drop-base air cleaner negate any performance gain of those intakes?

Thanks!!
You'll find a lot of guys here agree on the opinion I'm about to explain. My choice on a Pontiac that needs to keep hood clearance, especially with shakers or Formulas with ram air, I prefer the stock iron or aluminum intakes.
Not only does that make fitting factory air cleaner parts a snap as everything goes together as it should, but they have no problem making HP. I've done 455's with stock intakes (455HO aluminum intakes in particular) make over 500hp without any work done to them. The factory intakes are simply a pretty good design from the start. And if you want to do the common modifications to them that's been done for decades, they have the ability to support even more HP.

Old 08-25-2023, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Iv`e got my 455 with the factory crank, RPM I beam 4340 rods, and Ross piston. This thing goes to 6500 with my combo. No need to "stroke" to 4.25 IMO. It also keeps the piston pin out of the ring pack better with the 6.625 rod in a street app.

After that, I will leave it to the shaker guys to find the best combo for fitment. Cam, heads and intake, air cleaner, have to work together. So, you would have to put together a "shaker" package for your needs.

Your choices would be wider outside of the shaker system.

The Following User Says Thank You to PunchT37 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are going round port in a 2nd gen run the Edelbrocks just for hood clearance issues. Unless you are trying for big, big numbers in your bird you are better off with E heads.
They can do more than what you want without any issues.
The no heli coil thing was one of the reasons I went with shaft rockers on my High Ports. Spread the load out was my thinking.

Old 08-25-2023, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good advice from Steve regarding goals. For ME, these old cars loose their luster when my 2019 4cyl Buick outperforms it in every category. I like a little raw HP and grunt!

Had a 400hp iron head 455 in my 66 GTO 4spd and got a little bored with it. I essentially bolted on a set of KRE 290 cfm d ports, bigger cam (stump puller) and factory iron intake with qjet. Estimated at 480 to 500hp, This combo completely transformed the car, making it a lot more fun to drive, even when cruising. The combo was mild enough to have great idle, decent exhaust tone, and run on pump gas. It was a home run in my book!

As far as dport vs o port, a lot of it depends on availability of manifolds or headers for your car. I have 325cfm d ports now, only because of header availability when I first built the 461 stroker 5 years ago. If I were to build a new engine today for the firebird, I would definitely go with o port for more flexibility and available 2" headers for this chasis.

These are the types of decisions needing to go into your evaluation process. Enjoy the journey!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 08-25-2023, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question for you are…Edelbrock round ports out of the question for you. If not I have a nice 500 hp combo that sounds perfect for what I think your looking for.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One thing I want to mention when it comes to KRE heads, unless you plan on helicoils them don’t waste your money because The aluminum threads are prone to pulling out.
Even shaft rockers aren’t going to help not that you would or plan on shaft rockers.

Last edited by Gach; 08-25-2023 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

An HO intake on any kind of ported Eheads is a cork even if the intake is ported compared to a T2 I ran one at first because I did not want to "massage" my original base for a Holley. Found a used base -dimpled the front for the bowl adjusting screw grafted in a section from a cheap drop base for the rear one.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-25-2023, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to get on a compression calculator. If you plan on using pump gas an increase in stroke greatly affects your compression ratio. So figure out what heads your going to use and the size of the combustion chamber and your bore and stroke. If using aluminum heads you will want to keep your compression below 11:1 preferable 10.5: to be on the safe side. You will need to figure how far the piston will be in the hole, the size of the valve reliefs etc. A forged crank is a good choice if it will be driven a lot and driven hard or raced. A 4.25 stroke will give you more torque and HP but you need to make sure your target compression ratio is in order.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
One thing I want to mention when it comes to KRE heads, unless you plan on helicoils them don’t waste your money because The aluminum threads are prone to pulling out.
Even shaft rockers aren’t going to help not that you would or plan on shaft rockers.
Really? You have personal experience with this?
I ran 1100lbs open 500lbs on seat 9000rpm with zero issues. I think your info is exaggerated.

The Following User Says Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2023, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thing is, in the end a heli coil is still just steel on aluminum threads. If a bolt is being used a lot, tightened, adjusted ect I could see it being a big deal.
Usually rocker studs are tightened down only a couple times in the life of the head.
So the only difference in a heli coil not pulling out is that its one size larger in diameter, thats it.
And yes, shaft rockers would help, 3 bolts are stronger than one.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Really? You have personal.experience with this?
I ran 1100lbs open 500lbs on seat 9000rpm with zero issues. I think your info is exaggerated.
Well others haven’t been as lucky as you. Thats your opinion… but of course I expected that from you. Maybe you should go back and read this

Quote:
grivera:…I have a set of Butler 290 cfm D port E heads shaved from 87 to 81cc in the bird. And on the shelf I have a set of 85cc KRE 310 D ports. Both have the heart shaped chamber design and folks on here have had great results with both. One thing I recall with a friend’s set of off the shelf KRE D-Ports is Paul Carter built the engine and said some of the threads for the rocker arms pulled out of the heads and he had to install heli-coils. It’s my understanding E-heads have steel thread inserts in all or most areas.
Hay you never know maybe Paul made it up, and it didn’t really happen, have I had it personally happened to me no ! Has it happen to others I think I’ll take Paul‘s word vs yours. Plus have heard this has happened more then once. Its funny how you think I am exaggerating, but Grivera isn’t…LOL

Old 08-25-2023, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Well others haven’t been as lucky as you. Thats your opinion… but of course I expected that from you. Maybe you should go back and read this

Hay you never know maybe Paul made it up, and it didn’t really happen, have I had it personally happened to me no ! Has it happen to others I think I’ll take Paul‘s word vs yours. Plus have heard this has happened more then once. Its funny how you think I am exaggerating, but Grivera isn’t…LOL
Your reputation says your exaggerating. Has it happened I'm sure it has. Just like I bet someone out there has pulled studs out of an edelbrock head. You have a tendency to post a lot of hearsay with no actual experience. I have put my HP heads through the ringer without issues. Also my d-ports see lots of street use with decent spring pressure without issue. I sure wouldn't base what heads I buy on rocker stud threads. In this case due to potential head clearance issues the edelbrock round heads are best choice for power followed by either kre or edelbrock d-port heads.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The whole object of both of us mentioning it, is to make him aware of the downfalls or should I say possibilities that it could happen, For instance lets say he gets a set out of the box and on Final assembly, discovers that the thread are pulling out. WOW ! what a mess that would be. Over pass 8 years or so i’ve heard of this happening, can I recount all those I’ve heard it from, hell no ! Hey in the end its his choice.