Old 01-18-2009, 02:48 AM

Default AC Removal

I havent posted in a while, my project 74 FB Esprit has been dormant for the past 9 montsh while I was in Afghanistan. Got it running today. It has a 350, which had a 2 barrel on it, but I changed out the intake and carb with a edl performer and a edl perf 600 carb. seems to to running okay but needs to be tuned. I am learning as I go. planning on getting everything out of the 350 that is possible. Will taking the whole AC set up get a little more HP? I know it will cut back on weight and drag from the compressor. It doesnt work, so I wont be losing any comfort. Any ideas on how much of a hassle it would be, and what it would take to get it back in? Thanks

Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Hawk397

Hi,
Unless the clutch on the A/C is dragging - it's just an "idler" pulley when it's turned off. Weight is the the only real advantage to removing it. (and some better clearance on the passenger side).

Pulling the compressor and hoses are no big deal but pulling the Evap box is a real PITA. I pulled the setup in my 71 and just installed a firewall plate. (Put a Vintage Air setup in after that - it's all under the dash)

It's kind of an all or nothing deal with the evap box, you pull the whole thing (outside and under the dash). Although it could be done with out doing this - it's much easier pulling the dash and the right front inner fender well.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Senior Chief

Unless you are really trying to lighten up the car it will be alot of work for little return.

What is wrong with the AC? In 29 Palms I figured you would want to fix the AC.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

another option, while not cheap, makes for a clean look under the hood and still retains the funcitionality of the climate control system. minus the AC of course.

the american graffiti AC delete boxes. i dont have personal exp with them, but i'm going to this spring.

removing the factory evap box is going to be a bit of a PITA. if you search the F body forums i'm sure youll find threads detailing that endeavor.

you can also search on the AC delete boxes, there were several over the past year or so, outlining the good, bad, and ugly of them.

http://www.acdelete.com/pages/70-81_F-Body.htm