Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3m ez sand.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	626284  

Old 01-09-2024, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are u asking an adhesion promoter with this Bruce…..

1973 Firebird Navajo Orange w/shaker,1973 400/461,1972 Intake SD CNC'd,1977 Q-Jet 800 CFM w/ Cliffs Kit,Tanks Inc PA4 255 Walbro intank pump ,-8an feed/return,RobbMc Regulator,RobbMc 40 micron filter,253 CFM 6x-8's w/H.S 1:5 Roller Rockers,SD Stump Puller H/R Cam 230/236 @.050 112 lobe separation 565/.570 lift,Crower Solid Rollers,28150 Hedman Headers,3" exhaust,full tailpipes,350 Turbo,9.5" 3200 Converter,3:42 gear,8.5 posi,C/E slide-alinks,Koni adj frt shocks,Best 12.18@110.55 Lookin for 11's
Old 01-10-2024, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Is the 3M 05895 the product that was recommended by the often used "Endura Repair" sticky topic? The gray colored stuff that sands so well?
Yes.

3M packaged it in two sizes of squeeze tubes, as well as in a twin tube cartridge. They phased out the larger squeeze tubes first, then the smaller ones. twin tube cartridge still available.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO, epoxy products last much longer compared to urethane products past their "best before dates". I bought a gallon of black R-M epoxy primer over 10 years ago (probably closer to 13) and it still mixes fine, activates fine, and cures just like when it was new.

Having said that, I would not use it on anything that was critical, like under paint on the exterior of a car. I use it on blasted or sanded brackets & small parts that are under the hood or the interior, and will continue to use it until it is gone or it stops working. Have about a pint left so will probably get to use it all .

Note that I am not recommending anyone use old product; I am just relaying what I have seen and what has worked for me.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 01-10-2024 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2024, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
Yes.
..... twin tube cartridge still available.
Same 05895 number?

Old 01-10-2024, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Same 05895 number?
No, the twin tube is 05887, the product Bruce showed.

05895 was the 5 oz tubes. Still available online from a few sellers

05896 was the 13 oz tubes, discontinued some time ago.

05887 is the twin tubes that require a special gun, still easily available.

I have used all 3 and the 05887 is a wee bit different as far as cure time (either slower or faster, can't remember which, but the product sheet is slightly different compared to 05895/05896). All 3 sand the same, very well.

CNC asked about adhesion promoter...it is not required with Endura. Epoxy sticks like crazy to properly cleaned Endura. Adhesion promoter is for specific plastics that need it.

Regarding cleaning Endura, do not use a solvent based cleaner as the Endura will absorb it. Wash with Dawn soap and water, spot clean with a water based W&G remover if required. Blow dry with air and be certain it is clean and not contaminated prior to epoxy.

Paulatfast's original recommendations on Endura repair work very well, and mirror SPI's recommendations, many of us have followed them with good results. Using a urethane product (or someone else's epoxy) may work but you are on you own for results and going down your own path LOL.

Case in point: the R-M epoxy I have specifically says not to use on flexible parts. The SPI is recommended for Endura. Not all epoxy is the same. I often keep the leftover "discs" of leftover product from my mixing cups when I don't use it all. R-M epoxy and regular urethane primer/surface are hard as a rock and will not flex at all. 7 year old SPI epoxy still has a little flex.

Last edited by mrennie; 01-10-2024 at 10:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 11:58 PM
Senior Chief

That’s some great info posted above concerning expiration dates. I use Fusor 123EZ often (just as an epoxy based seam sealer, not for Endura btw) and I used one set of tubes that was just barely 6mos past their stated expiration date. Man that was one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made in a long time. Imagine a seam sealer that never sets and then there’s the toxic smell you get during application and that won’t go away either.

I’d also add that you should think twice about where you get your product and be sure to read the tech sheets posted online. The one I mentioned above has a 24mo shelf life if stored at 75°F. If you don’t trust the place you get it from to ship you fresh/properly stored product, it’s just a gamble. Many of them can’t handle a freeze/thaw cycle either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2024, 04:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hopefully someone will update the Endura sticky to reflect the new part number?
I'll probably croak before I need it again, but might be helpful to others