THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-30-2021, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Car Door Scratch Dilemma

was out for a cruise with a Work buddy, met at his place before hand to find out his dog was coming along, though no big deal, they will watch their dog. Due to them having Dog we did a take order for food and went to a local beach where we sat and ate. His wife took the dog for a walk while my buddy and I were outside talking, My wife was still in car. When she came back she decided to show my wife something and dog wanted to see and jumped up on door casing some rather large scratches on door. She says opps and wipes the door with her but and says glad dad did not see and carry's on.

My wife tells me as I am getting into car, and says don't look now, wait till we stop. I was already upset by this time. By time we stopped and they walked away to get coffee, I look and see 2 large scratches down the middle of door, MORE PIssed. I did not say anything when they came back, but I am sure she knew my wife told me. We left shortly after and went home, spent 1.5 hours cut polishing door, not perfect but did not got thru clear coat. Probably could get away with wet sand, but not by me.

Now do I tell work buddy what happened as I do beleive she has not told him, Pretty sure he would have freaked.
out.

Won't be anymore Cruise with him, that 's for sure if they are gonna bring the Dog.

A Little Frustrated.

Old 05-30-2021, 02:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think you tell him- any car guy would get it. I have a rather rambunctious dog and always make sure to have her close on the leash. I would not be shocked at all if a friend asked me to help with a scratch. I wouldn’t be surprised either.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell him that their dog damaged your car and that they are responsible.
Just like if you opened your door into their car and damaged it.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is still visible try wet sanding horizontally with 2500 then light compound.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would tell him 100%. My car has been scratched 3x by three different buddies. Actually the one was my bro in law, they all immediately felt horrible and offered to have them fixed. 2 of the 3 are not even car guys. Your guy knows you love that car.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am sure He will feel bad when he finds out, but gonna cause some **** cuz she didn't say anything. That's my issue,
if she had of said something right away I would have been pissed, but accidents happen. The dog is fairly new to them, although it's 10 years old.
But you guys are right, he has to know.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m sure your friend is a decent guy, but who brings their dog along with them in someone else’s car without asking ahead of time?

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No they had their own car, and wife just came over to talk when this happened.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
No they had their own car, and wife just came over to talk when this happened.
Oh, OK. I thought they showed up with their dog and you all piled in your car.

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Coincidentally, last night, I watched a Columbo episode where that is a main piece of evidence he used to catch the criminal. Columbo (my favorite detective) pulled into the crime scene and a big friendly dog jumped up and scratched his door. The criminal said he was never at the scene yet had the same scratch marks on the door of his car.

Old 05-30-2021, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That’s what good friends are for...

Old 05-30-2021, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go ahead and tell him if he's a friend of yours.

Friends have scratched my cars a handful of times over the years, and my reaction more recently is "hey, careful there!" Back when I was a teenager I would get more upset.

I've never asked a friend for money to fix a scratch, though - that's the risk we take when we use our cars.

Old 05-30-2021, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the long run, friends are harder to find than perfect paint jobs. Fixing a scratch by repaint will be $$$ and you probably will have as many issues as the scratch by time yer done. I would have a pro do some polish / work on magic and call it life.

The Following User Says Thank You to bird72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you DON'T tell him, you will never get past it. You will have that lingering feeling that you want to tell him and you are real sorry you didn't.

I'd put it like this: Mention that "I had a bit of car trouble while we were at the beach".
He will reply, "What sort of trouble?" And you say, "your dog Boof jumped up and managed to scratch my door. Suzie (his wife) saw it happen"
Before he can open his mouth tell him you have tried to rectify the scratch with some polish but its a bit worse than I can achieve - I'll have to get a professional to look at it.

And see where it goes from there. If he's GOOD guy, he will say right away he will pay the professional guys charges. And you say, "Well I'll find out what it will cost and let you know".
If he's not such a good guy, says nothing, then your relationship is marred for ever. But at least you know the measure of the man.

Ian

Old 05-30-2021, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
If you DON'T tell him, you will never get past it. You will have that lingering feeling that you want to tell him and you are real sorry you didn't.

I'd put it like this: Mention that "I had a bit of car trouble while we were at the beach".
He will reply, "What sort of trouble?" And you say, "your dog Boof jumped up and managed to scratch my door. Suzie (his wife) saw it happen"
Before he can open his mouth tell him you have tried to rectify the scratch with some polish but its a bit worse than I can achieve - I'll have to get a professional to look at it.

And see where it goes from there. If he's GOOD guy, he will say right away he will pay the professional guys charges. And you say, "Well I'll find out what it will cost and let you know".
If he's not such a good guy, says nothing, then your relationship is marred for ever. But at least you know the measure of the man.

Ian
Bet you don’t have any friends left...lol . They are called accidents for a reason....Sheit happens. Some days your the dog...and some days your the hydrant

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 09:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ask yourself what have you got to gain and what have you got to lose? Put on your big boy pants, pay to have it fixed and move on.

Don

Old 05-31-2021, 12:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dogs. These days people bring em everywhere and it’s out of hand in Ca. Sorry to hear that. Reminds me I gotta post my bird. I swear a dog chewed on the front fenders both sides.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the problem I have with many pet owners. They think because they love their pets, you should love their pets too and the dog cant help it because he is doing what dogs do. A lot of pet owners think this way and it is unacceptable.

I've had neighbors stop by my place with a pet and I just tell them "Maybe some other time without the dog" nor do I let them near my car or other stuff. I go by their places and they have no problem with pet stains on the carpet, kibble all over the kitchen floor and furniture and trim looking like a dog chew toy. Great, but not around my stuff please. Those are the compromises they make for pet ownership, not me.

Tell your friends straight out their carelessness with their pet caused damage to your car and they need to reimburse you for repairs to the door or appear in small claims and answer to the judge. Their reaction will tell you whether they really value your friendship, They are in the wrong and you have every reason to be upset over their carelessness. If I did something like that, I would not even wait to be asked or think its funny and try to conceal the damage. I would suck it up tell you to have it fixed whatever the cost as I am supposed to be a responsible adult, not a careless idiot.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 05-31-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Some car owners love their cars as much as pet owners love their pets. It's more about your buddies wife, it was an accident. She might think its no big deal and its an easy fix.

Unfortunately, things happen. Dents from baseballs, scratches from bicycles, crack in an old but perfect dash pad from friends daughter putting her feet up on it, these things happen. None were done to purposely to cause damage but that was the result. Sometimes its easier to deal with things yourself, if you want some compensation approach them for it, if not then just move on.

Old 05-31-2021, 09:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Take your good friend to small claims court…. Good grief. Don’t be that guy….

Don