Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-05-2024, 10:43 AM

Default Spotts Performance Cam

How is Spotts as a vendor? I’m getting my build list together & prefer to not order from multiple vendors just to save a penny. I know Spotts has an eBay store with good pricing & quality but wanted to confirm that they’re a good source. One thing I noticed was their version of the 068 cam, like some some other suppliers they note that their 068 has additional lift built into it so it’s equivalent to running a factory 068 with 1.6 rockers. I’m considering a Melling SPC-7 but with so many HFT lifter horror stories I’m nervous about purchasing any lifter other than Hylift Johnson but since this is a super low budget build I question if it’s worth it with a factory style 068 cam? I also realize that the Hylift lifters are still cheaper than a cam failure during break in so I’d rather not cut corners there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28554861293...kAAOSwBO1k-1im

Old 01-05-2024, 10:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have purchased from his Ebay Store multiple times, always a great experiance and fast shipping. I have never used any of his camshafts though... I would still opt for the Hylift Johnson Lifters from Topline Automotive, even if using his camshaft, and get some Isky Rev Lube(black moly version) for the camshaft and lifter faces. Use a good Break-In Oil, we use and prefer the Lucas SAE 30wt Break-In oil. You can get 5 quart jugs from Summit reasonable, I believe it is only around $35-$38 or so, then purchase 1 single quart extra to go with it.

Old 01-05-2024, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I start a new build I get a lot of parts from Paul.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2024, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've bought parts from Paul and he is a really good guy to deal with. In fact several years ago he gave me a good deal on my Topline Hi-Lift Johnson lifters. It's my belief that I probably got them quicker by going through Paul. A few weeks ago I got some Crower 68404-16 valve springs from Paul..good price and very quick shipping from him. He also contribute to the forum here.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to 1968GTO421 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

bought alot of things from him always great
quality and fast shipping.

Old 01-07-2024, 06:53 PM

Any comments on the Spotts cam being a high lift version of the 068? I noticed that Butler also offers a high lift version of the 068 with the same claim that while using the factory 1.5 rockers the lift is equivalent to running an 068 with 1.6’s.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:31 PM
Senior Chief

Pretty much the same cam. Like a Summit 2801. I used Spotts and lifters from him. All good. I was careful with break in. Pushrods all rotating. Lifters are quiet. I am happy with parts from Paul Spotts

The Following User Says Thank You to helmerrock For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 07:32 PM

I would bet most any vendor selling a ‘high lift 068’ cam is selling the same generic cam that’s sold by Summit Racing, the 2801 cam (214/224 @ .050, .444”/.466” lift) just in their own box.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...kaAkc_EALw_wcB

The Melling SPC-7 068 cam (212/225 @ .050, .407”/.407” lift w/1.5 rockers or .447”/.447” lift w/1.65 rockers) would be the easiest to use on a budget. You would be retaining the original 1.5 stamped rockers and stock pushrods and not over stressing the press-in rocker studs, keeping the original non-adjustable valvetrain.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dating clear back to when I first got into this hobby I figured out very quickly that VERY few of the cams offered by any company are ground "in house" or are most of them proprietary to any particular vendor. Yes, like it or not you aren't buying first level no matter what they tell you. So with nearly any camshaft purchase unless you are ordering a custom ground cam you can find it for less money someplace else.

Most folks selling all these cams "juggle" the specs some to throw the potential customer off track trying to make it look like their own cam, which just makes the entire process even more confusing.

Despite being able to save a couple dollars searching this purchase out I'd just throw Paul a bone on this. He supports the hobby and makes a living doing it. If he's selling those parts you can also bet he's done the homework for you and located USA made parts that work together without issues. While you are buying the cam/lifter combo ask him if he has any of the USA made stock type Cloyes timing sets left with the steel top gears. If so grab one of those as well, light years better than these "low" end POS double roller sets folks get talked into with these "budget" engine builds.....IMHO......

http://www.pontiacpower.org/PontiacCams.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1289.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	626174  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2024, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Dating clear back to when I first got into this hobby I figured out very quickly that VERY few of the cams offered by any company are ground "in house" or are most of them proprietary to any particular vendor. Yes, like it or not you aren't buying first level no matter what they tell you. So with nearly any camshaft purchase unless you are ordering a custom ground cam you can find it for less money someplace else.

Most folks selling all these cams "juggle" the specs some to throw the potential customer off track trying to make it look like their own cam, which just makes the entire process even more confusing.

Despite being able to save a couple dollars searching this purchase out I'd just throw Paul a bone on this. He supports the hobby and makes a living doing it. If he's selling those parts you can also bet he's done the homework for you and located USA made parts that work together without issues. While you are buying the cam/lifter combo ask him if he has any of the USA made stock type Cloyes timing sets left with the steel top gears. If so grab one of those as well, light years better than these "low" end POS double roller sets folks get talked into with these "budget" engine builds.....IMHO......

http://www.pontiacpower.org/PontiacCams.htm

My thoughts are to go with him for everything I need in the valve train, I just got concerned when I saw high lift 068 because my current plan is to stick with the press in studs & new stock valve springs, not sure that all that additional lift is good with what I’m wanting to do.