Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok to the wise a$$ pm sender [you know who you are ] i know that the 76 ho heads are d ports but i am prety sure these are round
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3260017.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	47588  

Old 03-26-2006, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NOBODY drolling over the rear console this car had??

Old 03-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWAGON
im thinking a silver state challange car?
That would be cool--TransAm Kahuna would love to see this car. It sure was neat back in the 70's and early 80's when guys would race their 70-81 T/A's at race circuits . Saw a pic of a 76 T/A that raced in Colorado back in the 70's-his T/A was setup similar to this one--he also designed the race course himself were he raced----COOL.

Old 03-26-2006, 05:57 PM

Nice find man! I would definatly restore it to its racing specs. It'd probably be easier than a full original car resto, and an scca racer looks way better than all original IMO.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is to racy to go back to stock i think

Old 03-26-2006, 06:49 PM
PY VIP

Absolutely- this car has race history and unquestioned pedigree. It needs to back to its race configuration. There are plenty of stockers- the number of original, vintage race eligible Pontiacs can be counted on no more than two hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOWAGON
This is to racy to go back to stock i think

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 03-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the Douche Bag PM'er hung up about HO heads...in 1976 the 455-HO is not what one would consider a true "HO". It was just a marketting ploy by Pontiac, there's nothing special about the d-port heads that went on the 455 "HO" in 1976, or the power it produced as compared to the 71-72 455-HO.

What he has there are beautiful round ports, and if they are HO they will have a 197 or 7F6 casting.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here are the pics of the oil pan and pickup assembly. as i said earlier this is not a dry sump it uses a conventional oil pump but it has a unique pickup and baffel setup. the baffel basically keeps the oil in the sump from getting out there is a screen in the baffel for the oil to get back to the sump. i have this apart so if anyone has any questions on this setup i will be happy to answer i hope the pics are clear enuf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3260018.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	47635   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3260019.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	47636   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3260020.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	47637   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3260021.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	47638  

Old 03-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"im thinking a silver state challange car?"

I think that would be cool! You would have to add some cooling type stuff though. Being a solo car it may not have the same stuff as a normal GT-1 car would have for cooling.

The cage should make most tech inspectors very happy for the race.

Can you send me some dimensions off of the oil pan and the screen/ baffle? Typical Herb Adams stuff, well thought out.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just assumed because of the small size of the sump that it was a dry sump.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker
I just assumed because of the small size of the sump that it was a dry sump.
I had seen these described as dry sumps in another post and possibly they make 2 different versions this is the first one i have ever seen in person., the last oni i saw here had 2 an fittings in the side so possibly this is adaptable to a dry sump prety easily. i think the whole setup is prety cool. i was also very happy to see that this is a compleatly rebuilt motor the heads has light rust in the rocker area like you see in a motor that has sat in a carhole for a long time but when i pulled them it looks like everything is new. the short block has popup pistons and a solid lifter cam and everything had been white lubed up so it looks like it had just been put together. so this just keeps getting better , can't wait to see what i find when i go through the 15 totes of loose stuff he gave me.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What a great find. Like formula Bruce said, the fact that it is a rear console car also makes it extremely rare.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught
Quote:

"im thinking a silver state challange car?"

I think that would be cool! You would have to add some cooling type stuff though. Being a solo car it may not have the same stuff as a normal GT-1 car would have for cooling.

The cage should make most tech inspectors very happy for the race.

"Can you send me some dimensions off of the oil pan and the screen/ baffle? Typical Herb Adams stuff, well thought out."

Tom V.
the car is already set up for a oil cooler and accusump system with a remote filter and he also gave me a new aluminum radiator. what else do you think i might need? i am planing on running a bigger engine
as for the dimensions I certainly can and will do so tomorrow

Old 03-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Hawk
What a great find. Like formula Bruce said, the fact that it is a rear console car also makes it extremely rare.

i had only seen one other original rear consol before this too bad there will never be an interior in this car hmmmm maby i could make one out of aluminum

Old 03-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Senior Chief

Cool

great score! if you ever get tired or discouraged, shoot me an email, i'll give you your money back. your find keeps the dream alive that there is still plenty of cool old cars to be discovered. keep looking! pontiacmonstr

Old 03-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"what else do you think i might need? i am planing on running a bigger engine as for the dimensions I certainly can and will do so tomorrow.

One of the PY members races in the Silver State every year. I would defer to him on what his car has. I personally would built the car with very good brakes, with an excellent water cooling system, with oil coolers for the engine, the trans, and the rear axle (basically like how a NASCAR vehicle is built).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have that same pan but was setup for a dry sump.Am very interested how it was used with the wet pump.Mine only holds four qt. without it getting into the crank?Mine also has a builtin baffel-scraper.Tom

Old 03-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Quote:

"what else do you think i might need? i am planing on running a bigger engine as for the dimensions I certainly can and will do so tomorrow.

One of the PY members races in the Silver State every year. I would defer to him on what his car has. I personally would built the car with very good brakes, with an excellent water cooling system, with oil coolers for the engine, the trans, and the rear axle (basically like how a NASCAR vehicle is built).

Tom V.
Car already has a nascar style airheart 2 piece rotor and huge 4 piston calipers although i discovered today when i went to put the centerlines on the front they have a 5 on 5 bolt patern the spindles also seem to be unique with an extra hole in each one to mount the tie rods in two different positions i think these may also be adams components as are the tie rods which are 2 ends with a solid bar in the center instead of the normal sleve . the front suspension has all aluminum control arm bushings with grease fittings. the subframe has a adams lowering kit in it and the cage has been tied into it. the rear suspension has adams springs swaybar and lowering kit. i will probably be replacing the rear with a 9" but it is currently a 10 bolt 3:23 with a 79 disc setup i will try and get some good shots of the underside tomorow

Old 03-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Boost Engineer

I would look into the Ford rear and I have been told that the Gear Vendors people make a nice "add-on" piece for a turbo 400 transmission. This will allow much higher speeds with minimal engine speeds which is what you need for the Silver State.

It sounds like the Dealer bought all the good parts for the time frame the car was raced. Put good brakes on the rear too.

Tom V.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I would look into the Ford rear and I have been told that the Gear Vendors people make a nice "add-on" piece for a turbo 400 transmission. This will allow much higher speeds with minimal engine speeds which is what you need for the Silver State.

It sounds like the Dealer bought all the good parts for the time frame the car was raced. Put good brakes on the rear too.

Tom V.

Probably going to keep it a stick but upgrade to a richmond 5 speed. although i do prefer an automatic

Closed Thread