Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
The moon style hub caps could have come on the 73-76 a-body & firebirds as they were an option & the moon was the hub cap you got on 73-74 when you ordered no optional wheel at all the wheel you have on the yellow SD is the hub cap that came on the ventura. That was the wheel cover you got when no other wheel option was ordered on the ventura. The order sheet shows the option code for the hub caps on the a&f bodys as steel wheel with small chrome cap, the ones on your bird are alum.
For argument sake I'll say your right.However I have only seen one other 74 in my life with a moon style hub cap and secondly i too did look in a parts book before I went out to look for these wheel. So for what it's worth my car did not come with Steel Wheel's and Dog Dish hub caps,it's a Rally Wheel car and if you dont like the look,I dont care....

Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74 SD455 Formula View Post
For argument sake I'll say your right.However I have only seen one other 74 in my life with a moon style hub cap and secondly i too did look in a parts book before I went out to look for these wheel. So for what it's worth my car did not come with Steel Wheel's and Dog Dish hub caps,it's a Rally Wheel car and if you dont like the look,I dont care....
nicely said on the "if you dont like the look, i dont care"
that is one reason i quit showing cars years ago. i got tired of everyone telling everybody else how they should do something to their cars.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I'll be darned . . .

Checked my MPC about Rex's moon cap deal and it appears that he's correct - the standard wheel cover for '73 AND '74 'birds was the moon cap. '75 they went with the 498800 pov cap.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 11-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
BTW - My car has trim rings on the original sales contract.....
And I for one am glad that you haven't "ruined" those beautiful JW's with 'em, LOL.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 11-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not criticizing anybodys car. I remember Dan Jensen had a red 74 SD,and it had the moons if i remember correctly.Thought it was hideous then,but i kind of like it now.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have a set of arrow head moons somewhere. 2-3 are dinged. 1 pretty bad.
Wonder how much it cost to perfect them for my 67.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 11-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Suspended

Default hub caps

I never said I didn't like the caps on your car, (which I don't But thats me ) If you like the caps go for it Iv'e done several things to my cars that some haven't liked but I did it. I'm just saying if you were trying to be correct they are the wrong caps. Mayby some one told you different but they are the wrong caps if your trying to be correct. If you look in MUSCAL CAR REVIEW for this month you'll see the correct caps on steves car, his is a formula too.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
I am not criticizing anybodys car. I remember Dan Jensen had a red 74 SD,and it had the moons if i remember correctly.Thought it was hideous then,but i kind of like it now.

John.

Would the steel wheel/moon cap combo be lighter than a rally II for 1974? Just thinking about a future FAST formula 455 ( non air this time).

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 11-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do they allow hubcaps to be on when racing?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

Yes,

They are actually a nice cover for the longer wheel studs some guys use. Most use the dog dish/steel wheel combo if it applies to their package.

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 11-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 74 SD

Quote from The Boss:Nothing sleeper about a yellow SD Formula - I don't care what shoes it's wearing!

Very true.............................

Old 11-24-2011, 02:41 AM
Suspended

Default hub caps

I do have a very nice set of the correct hub caps for your SD car if you would be intrested in putting on the correct ones. I can sell them for the price of $ 150.00 plus shipping. reply to rexs73gto@sbcglobal.net if you would like the correct ones on the car. Thanks Rex.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
I do have a very nice set of the correct hub caps for your SD car if you would be intrested in putting on the correct ones. I can sell them for the price of $ 150.00 plus shipping. reply to rexs73gto@sbcglobal.net if you would like the correct ones on the car. Thanks Rex.
Really !!!!

You keep those extra's for your 73 GTO I already have a set of Moon's as well ( NOS ) as well as a set of one year only 72's for my GTO,but thanks anyway.And for what it's worth if you have a 74 dealer showroom book as I do you will see that in 74 they show a Ventura with the moon style hub caps in one of there illustration's which i know is wrong. Should I question GM. What does it matter........

Old 11-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qikta View Post
John.

Would the steel wheel/moon cap combo be lighter than a rally II for 1974? Just thinking about a future FAST formula 455 ( non air this time).
Jay,I dont know if they would be any lighter,but i definetely like your plans on a Formula 455.You could probably easily drop 400 pounds,if not more. You could also be more free to lighten things up,instead of worrying about messing up your car,which is very nice,and valuable.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
Jay,I dont know if they would be any lighter,but i definetely like your plans on a Formula 455.You could probably easily drop 400 pounds,if not more. You could also be more free to lighten things up,instead of worrying about messing up your car,which is very nice,and valuable.
I was thinking about a really nice little old lady non air espirit. Then cloning it into the Formula 455. Like you said could really put it on a diet. Just swap the speed and safety parts over from the retired TA and go back stock with it.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's an Admiralty Blue '75 with red and white guts. I thought it was pretty cool myself.

On the dog dish topic, to each their own. I think they look ok on some cars. I used to really like them, and I too thought they added to a "sleeper" look. But face it, these cars are 35+ years old now, and no one thinks "sleeper" anymore. Those days ended back in the 1970's and 1980's, when you still saw 60's and 70's Musclecars cruising the streets.

So if you like the dog dishes, go for it. But they aren't a "sleeper" look anymore.

To me, it's like seeing Grace Kelly in Army boots. I prefer Rally II's, Honeycombs, and Snowflakes on the 2nd Gen's. But again, to each their own.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1975 Trans Am - Stellar Blue - Oxblood interior 12.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	264889   Click image for larger version

Name:	1975 Trans Am - Stellar Blue - Oxblood interior 9.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	264890  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i love that car. wasnt that tellis brothers car at one time??? i should have bought it years ago when it was for sale pretty cheap.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

The NHRA rule book used to mention that center caps, hub caps, trim rings and such were, not allowed (something that could potentially fly off, create a problem).

I thought that was a good idea, when I read it, way back. Can you visualize a Q/SA car taking off, flinging off a hub cap, then running over it in the lights w/ your A stocker, doing maybe 120+.............

Talking NHRA rules....

Don't have a clue, what's current...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 12-03-2011, 02:58 AM
Suspended

Default hub caps

I think the rules say that just about anything that can come off the car while running is disallowed. So the caps are out along wiht trim rings & any item not mechinaly fasted to the car is out.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's why I asked. Most tracks won't let you run with hubcaps on. (or trim rings)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates