Old 12-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Arrow Kill Stories

anybody have any good kill stories? where you beat the chevys, mopars, buicks, fords, and rice boys.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In 1967, '64 GTO still had the original 389 with Tripower, wide ratio Muncie, and 3.90 gears. I added Doug's 3-tube headers, Engle hydraulic cam, and Firestone 9X28.5" slicks. It ran low 13's at about 109 mph at Union Grove Drag Strip in Wisconsin.

One Sunday, a Plymouth GTX with 440 4 bbl. showed up in my class. He was really upset when I beat him in eliminations. He accused me of having a 421, since he "always beat GTO's on the street".

That same week, I was cruising Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee, and he spotted me. I still can't believe what happened next. He wanted to race again, but on the freeway. He had some work done on his car and was convinced it could now do the job. He had two buddies that followed us onto the freeway. They STOPPED TRAFFIC from behind us so we could race from a standing start. We did. We had street tires on, so there was smoke from both cars like you see from funny car burnouts. I beat him again, and he was REALLY pi**ed. He never believed it was only a 389.

If you did something like that today, I think you'd end up in jail. Even back then, I think my heart rate was about 200.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 12-21-2007, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A few years ago we headed off for a "test and tune" session. Didn't even think to check the tracks website. As we approached the track around 5pm, I heard that staging lanes were closed for time trials, and there were at least 500 cars, mostly Imports with wings and "fart" pipes.

At the gate they said that APEX Performance was having their annual street car challenge, and that we couldn't race, as it was only for "street" cars, DOT tires, mufflers, etc. I told them that our car was street legal (our car was on the trailer), on DOT's. The gal said $50 to enter, I had to go back in line and borrow $30 from a couple of kind folks, as we only showed up with $20.

Anyhow, we raced all night long, it was so much fun spanking those little buzzing "fart" pipe cars. We ended up winning the entire event. The last 6 cars in staging were all Musclecars, and we spanked the piss out of a guy with a high compression 454 in a Camaro. He got real nastly with us, and looked extensively for the Nitrous system, which wasn't allowed. When I told him we were using 3.42 gears, he told me to "go BS somebody else", and left all pissed off.

We ran a BBC powered Chevelle in the final round, and the margin of victory was about 8 thousanths of a second. Got a big pay check and HUGE trophy, not a bad time for just heading out for "test and tune"!......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 AM

Years ago, my friends and I still cruised and street raced in York and Lebanon, PA. One night in Lebanon I encountered an 85 or 86 Mustang with my 76 T/A. My T/A had a 400 with forged pistons, a small split duration cam, Performer intake, headers and duals, Turbo 350 with a shift kit and airplane gears.
Well, we see this Mustang cruisin' and I pull up beside it to mess around with absolutely no intention of actually racing because this thing looked way faster than I could deal with. It was miny tubbed, at least an 8 pt. cage, guages everywhere, and you could see the sump and lines from the tank, big tires, skinnies up front, etc. I just wanted to shoot the breeze. Well, this cocky S.O.B. starts pointing at my car and hitting the throttle so I say to my buddy "Here goes nothin" and I hit the throttle a few times and we "play" down the road for awhile. Then we catch a light. I ask him what's done to his car. The passenger says its a 351 with heads ported by Andy Jensen, about 500 hp, 4.33 gears and still has the 5 speed. His passenger leans out the window and asks if we "want to go". I tell him my car isn't very fast and I was just looking. I tell him I have 2.56 gears. They taunt me and I say "I guess I 'll see how close I can stay to you".

When the light changed I holeshot him but he caught me like I was standing still but then he shifted out of first and his tires when up. We ran up to about 80mph or so and he stayed right beside me maybe getting a fender on me. We raced from about 10-20 mph up to about 100 mph about 6-7 times with him only getting in front of me twice. I only had to shift out of first at around 75mph while I could see his shift light coming on 4 times every few seconds out of the corner of my eye. His car was spinning almost the entire time.

So, we pull over to "discuss" our races and the driver gets out of the car and slams his door. He asks what's done to my car and I say it's a 400 with 2.56 gears and weighs 4000 lbs. He says"4.56 gears"! I say "No, 2.56 gears"! (I later found out they were actually 2.41 gears). We pop our hoods. My engine looks stock with Q-jet except for the Perfomer and headers while his says Ford Motorsports everywhere with a tall single plane and big Holley. The driver is livid and walks away. We talk with the passenger for awhile and he congradulates us on a "pretty decent running car".

Jump to two weeks later. I see the same guy at Maple Grove and I ask how's he doing. He says he pulled the 5-speed and put in a glide with an adapter plate and did some suspension stuff to help traction. He runs low 11s that day. My car never broke 14.7s at the track due to the highway gears and shifted out of 1st at the 1000ft mark. I never changed the gears because I drove it to work everyday, even in the snow, and drove it to Maple Grove from Harrisburg on the turnpike (about an hour drive) to race.

Lesson learned... all the power in the world won't do you any good if you can't get it to hook....Jason

Next story... how I embarred the guy on his Ducati SS on the highway. Later.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:40 PM

Default a couple of good ones

1st hey cliff the only reason you won that night is because you snuck down there and didnt tell me.., ok back in 91 i was running a kinda crappy looking 73 ventura with a 455 30over with a set of 48s , mean old crane commander cam,10inch tci and 390s out back,this car could run low 12s/highs 11s through the exhaust on 9inch slicks.i used to drive this car everywhere, one sunday night my brotherinlaw and me were heading from pittsburgh to jerrys curb service in beaver county about 20miles away, i was hungry and also you could usually find a good street race outta this place, so there we are about 10pm just cruising down rt65 which is a good stretch with some redlights.so we are heading down and next thing i know this black porsche 911 comes blowing past us, im like dude hes toast so i put it to the floor and off we go,i get up by his rear and i can pass him but thats not much fun,so we get to a redlight, and this guys windows are tinted black as can be, and hes over there reving his little german toy up, and i said to my brotherinlaw, when we 40mph im gonna toast this thing. so the light drops,. hes laying tire and smoking his clutch, i start rolling it out cause im on a old set of L60s well we got rolling and hes already 5 cars out!!im like ok we are moving now, i put it to the floor those old 60s start lighting up and then they bite and i shoot past that thing likes he,s sitting still.. we ended up destroying the porsche, so we get down to the next light and we are laughing our as*** off and we are waitng for him to pull up so we can rub it in that a $500 dollar car just blew away that expensive porsche, well he wont pull up all the way and we are still giggling so i finally stick my head out and look through the front glass(only place on that car that wasnt tinted)and guess who it was?none other than the home run king himself Barry Bonds,yeah this is when he still played for the pirates,i was like no sh*t. dude its barry bonds,and my brotherinlaw says i dont think this is a good time to ask for a autograph. i was like yeah your right he does look kinda po,d, well next time i,ll tell ya about the 11.80 viper vs the 12.80 grand am