Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 PM

My 70 GTO conv came looking for me 15 yrs later.In my teens I would pass a duplex ranch rental on my way to Greenville,ohio close to Shultz Motors(an used car dealer) after many attempts probably 20 ,I found out an ex-bodyman owned the car and wasnt interested at all in selling.He had changed occupations,(long haul trucker),hence hard to a hold of.Alas 15 yrs later 1989 he called me up one fri eve and suprised the heck right out of me.I never even found out til sat that it was a 455 car one of 263 produced w/very few options No air,pw,tilt,ps or any other options I really didnt want to deal with
,during a restoration.I checked all numbers and bought on spot.He needed money for concrete in his large barn.60x100ft!!!!

a69ta@woh.rr.com
Old 08-30-2007, 04:37 PM

After a span of time being "pontiac-less", a friend of mine decided to part with a project car that he'd had on his back burner and gave me first shot to buy it. He knew how bad I hated being out of the hobby, and I was thrilled at getting the call. The car: a '66 GTO. It was a hardtop, missing the motor and transmission, and needed a lot of work. It was a solid car that really deserved it, but wasn't going to be anything for the light-hearted (as he was/is). PHS confirmed it as a Nightwatch Blue/parchment interior 3 speed manual 4bbl car, and I fell in love with it the minute I handed over the money. It hasn't sat outside one night in the past 3 years and is about 1/2 way done with it's frame off restoration. I love this car, and it is my dream Pontiac. My angle I used when I brought it home to show the wife was by telling her that it was going to be our son Ryan's car. He was about 7 mos. old at the time, haha! Fast forward to today now that he's over 3 years old, and he is fully aware that the car is "his", and is very proud of it.
Rewind to just yesterday, when I completed the purchase of another '66 hardtop, this one being Barrier Blue, parchment interior, but is a tri-power 4 speed car with a 4.33 rear end. This one was built right!! My angle this time???? This car is for our OTHER son, Evan, who is just now 9-mos old. haha!! I am proud to have two beautiful boys and two beautiful (someday anyway) cars that my boys can say they've had since they were dang near born. By doing this (promising them to the boys and calling them "theirs"), I'm not tempted to cash in on the current market prices of these cars, and I can take pride in working/tinkering/enjoying the cars with them someday and teaching them appreciation of the hobby and automobiles in general.
The cars are/will be titled in both my name and theirs, so that way they can honestly brag that they "own" a GTO, haha!
Pontiacs aren't just fuel for the soul....they are GREAT for the soul.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:31 PM

My dad had a new 67 and 68 gtos but i always loved the 67's i have had mine since 1989 and will never part with it.I have owned over 100 cars mostly gto's and this one still is here.Was my first car and will part with it when they pry it from my dead cold hands

Old 10-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Default my story

I grew up in New Jersey in the sixties and seventies and I loved muscle cars - the were frowned upon by hotrodders who called then "daddy- bought super cars" then. I bought my 65 GTO when I was 16 for 600 bucks in 1972. Threw out the 389 for a bonneville 400 and was never very happy with the six pack. A spread bore quad worked better. I flipped burgers for another 600 bucks for amoung other things tires and rims that were only on the back - very few kids had rims all round then. The gas crisis hit hard then and you couldnt give the cars away. I dumped the GTO and now 33 years later I found a 65 lemans convertable here in Sweden and had to have it. The early pontiacs are all that!

Old 10-19-2007, 09:06 PM

In 1989 I started college (driving an old beat up 78 Olds Cutlass)...after 4 semesters of making 3.0 or better grades my oil man uncle said to me one day...you're doing real good bud I am going to give you 4K dollars for a new car... ...I had always wanted a muscle car...didn't matter what kind to me...looked around for about 3 months and just couldn't find the right car...one day uncle calls me up and says I am coming to pick you up and we're buying a car for you today...so we tool around all day...don't see anything I like...on the way home there is a Nissan hardbody lowrider pickup all jazzed up for sale on a KMart lot... ...uncle stops we call the guy and buy said truck for 3800...I drive the wheels off of it and basically turn it into a POS...grandma dies I move into her house temporarily...write For Sale 1200 on the windshield of the P/U...guy stops a day or two later says I need a truck would you trade for it...what do have??? 1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 4 speed car... ...traded him straight across...drove the car for 7 years...first son was born..sold car in 99 for 3500...wish I still had it...

About 6 months ago I was at a bodyshop installing an interior kit in a Maro...somebody pulls up in a 79 Malibu...he leaves and I ask bodyman you know where any cars like that are for cheap...couple months ago he calls and says you owe me 1200 bucks come down here and pick up your car Pontiac man...giggling...they are all chevy guys and gave me all kinds of trouble when I had the bird...they are once again giving me crap about driving a Pontiac...and I don't care...

Old 10-21-2007, 06:59 PM

At age 13 I saw a picture of a 1968 Starlight Black GTO, that saved me from becoming another teenage ricer. Learning about muscle cars I came to learn that a part of my family were die hard chevy-drivers. I wanted a pony car, and was convinced I'd drive a '69 Camaro in either blue w/ white stripes or garnet red w/ black stripes. Then the prices shot up, I started looking at mustangs, after I realized my family would disown me, that was taken off the table. I wanted a '68 Firebird because I believe while the boxier redesign for '69 looks great on a Camaro, but the Firebird should look more organic. The one-piece fornt window also adds to the organic, flowing image. And while writing this I realize that it sounds like I settled for my '68 Firebird. That's not the case, I am now a die hard Pontiac fan and on my list of dream cars, the majority are Pontiacs.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like somebody said earlier the 65 GTO is the best looking car ever.Just my opinion.In Nov.1965 when I was 4yrs. old my dad traded our 65 LeMans for a 66 GTO.Montero red,parchment int.rallye gauges.Tri-power.4-speed.3:90 posi.whitewalls w/ custom deluxe hubcaps.My dad was an avid street racer and Ive been told many times that after picking the car up at the dealer he went racing that nite with me and my mom along!A 4yr old in the back seat,no car seat,no seat belts,it had them we just didnt use them,ever.A few months later he ordered a Ram Air kit from Royal Pontiac.It was the pan and a scoop insert that was open.I dont remember that first ride but I do remember many other rides in it.I t was our only car until 1970.What was the question? Oh,yeah.My cousin had a 65 from 65 to 67,he hit a cow and totaled it.That car is what hooked me on the 65s.I just love that front-end.My cousin later bought a yellow 68,69 Judge,70 GP,76 455 T/A. all new.So even though I grew up with a 66 GTO the 65 is my fav.My dad passed away in 2000 at 57.His 66 is in the garage,99% original and unrestored and is in awesome condition.Sorry for rambling on I just like telling my stories about the musclecars I grewup with.Almost forgot,I have a 65 GTO I bought 24yrs.ago for $1300.Ill be buried in it !

Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My first car was a '66 LeMans which I cloned into a GTO way back in the very early 70s. I don't know if I was the first one to do this, but It must have been close. When that car was stolen, I got my first "real" GTO in the fall of "73. Since then I have had 5 '66 Gtos (I still have the one I got in '73) & 3 '66 Bonnevilles. Throw in a '67 GTO & a 67 Malibu that I had over the years & it just seems that I am stuck in the '66, '67 era.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In 1972, when I was 6, a guy came to the door for my dad. In the driveway was his red 68 gto. I saw those letters in the grill...GTO. My brother liked cars, he was 12. I'd never heard him mention a gto. I asked him about it he said" yeah cool car". I knew it! but now it was official. I saw very few of these after that, and thought they were rare.
I'm a musician. In 1992 a guy starts coming to alot of shows with a 71 gto. he knew i liked the car and would bring it to the local shows often. One day he says "i'm selling it; want it? Its really a lemans."
It was a very nice clone, white,complete with gto interior and judge stripes. He knew i didnt have money. He let me make payments. I drove it home that night, and for two weeks on his insurance and tags! What a guy!
I woke up the next morning and thought it was a dream...then i looked outside.
I'm now in the process of buying a real 71 gto from another PY forums member; who has also been kind enough to let me pay in installments. its almost mine.
I guess 71 is my favorite year; but I've never seen a 2 door lemans that i didnt like.
www.animalhouseband.com

Old 11-11-2007, 09:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to lemnstr71

well im probably among some of the younger guys on her, im only 17 but heres my story

i had wanted a older pontiac, my mother has had GP's all my life, so i wanted something like a firebird around 85 or so, fairly cheap, easy to make fast and all that jive. so after looking at a few i kinda gave up hope and stuck with my 96 grand prix. so theres a annual car show in Stowe VT which is about a hour and a half from town. and i went with my best friend who recently got a 66 mustang 289 coupe. his father is maybe 65 or 70, and his fathers long time friend came along with us in the truck. so we're driving along and i mention that i wanted a older pontiac. and he goes "ya know, my daughters old 70 LeMans is in my wood shed". so we get home and go check it out, and my mouth dropped... it was so awesome. the car was from florida and NEVER seen a winter. brand new pontiac 350 and rebuilt tranny, new tires, new exhaust, performer intake, carter 4BBL, new brakes, all new lines, originally a AC with the AC taken out,89,000 on the clock, and a florida car he told me i could take the car off his hands for 3500, the price included the car, a spare 350, spare tranny, a ****load of parts (which i still have)... so it was mine 2 days later. now im working my ass off with 2 jobs and going fulltime to school to restore this car. i love it!

1996 pontiac GP cowl inducted
1970 leMans 350
Old 11-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Like many others, I fell into my 70 GTO. My brother had ordered his GTO from Right-Way Pontiac in DeKalb, IL. Living in Long Beach, CA, he drove it daily until 1983 when he decided it was time for a new car. He called me and asked if I wanted it. I quickly said yes but wondered how much he would want for it and how I would get it back to Illinois.

A few weeks later he called again and proposed that I fly to CA and he and I would drive it home for Christmas. It sounded like a lot of fun and adventure. Another week later he changed the plan. He said "My wife and I will drive the GTO home for Christmas. If you buy two one-way tickets from Chicago to Long Beach, the car is yours."

I about crapped my pants and said, "You got a deal."

When I finally got the car there was a brick on the driver's side floor that he had used for cruise control!

Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:05 PM

I WANTED ANY YEAR GTO.I ALWAYS LOOK ON EBAY FOR A GOOD BUY AND FOUND A 1971 GTO...I ALAWAYS LOST THE AUCTIONS I BID ON BECAUSE I ONLY HAVE 3000 TO PLAY WITH..BUT I WON THE 71..IT WAS ADVERTISED AS A 400 WITH AUTO..BUT AFTER GETTING IT HOME.I CHECKED ITS NUMBERS,IT ENDED UP BEING A LATE MODEL YEAR 455 HO BLOCK WITH #48 1969 RA3 HEADS.NICE SURPRISE!!

Old 01-22-2008, 03:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: The ObamaNation we once called the United States of America

Well, I like Firebirds/TA's and have had a couple others in the past. I happened upon one and it was dirt cheap so I bought it..........its an '81 and not my favorite year model but for the $800 I have in it I cant complain as its a rust free car. Well, rust free other than a quarter sized hole in the passenger floor that was caused by the leaking heater core.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserves neither and will loose both."-Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe it is just a coincidence but I was born in 1964 so were the GTO, I bought my first GTO in 1988, it was a 66. I always loved the agressive look of that awesome musclecar with the stacked headlights and its beautiful look. I pretty much like all the Pontiac vehicles from 1961-1975 and the way they handle with the Pontiac V8 power !

Old 02-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Senior Chief

My wife surprised me in Feb 05', it was a great Valentines gift! 69' GTO

Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My folks owned a restaurant and gas station in northern Alberta. One day, back in
1981 when I was 16, a guy and his wife pulled in to fill up with gas. They were driving a beautiful red 77 TA 400 4 spd with a for sale sign in the window. I got to talking to them and as it turned out, they lived in a town 85 miles north of home and were going on holidays. I didn't think too much of it at the time, but after a few days, I couldn't stop thinking about the car. He paid for his gas with a visa card, so I had his name from the card imprint. I knew the town where he lived, so I tracked down his phone number and called and called and finally reached him when he arrived home from holidays. I bought it within a few days. The rest is history. It's been the longest relationship I've ever had and about the only thing thats never let me down...lol.
Chris