Old 06-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up My "new" Pontiac purchase!

For the past several weeks I have been in touch with a guy concerning a 72 Grand Prix for sale. I actually drove my first GP in 1979 and I loved it. It was a 71 SJ that was on a Pontiac dealer's lot in Hampton, Virginia. My wife and I test drove it one night, and we both loved it. I didn't leave there with the car, but I left with a desire to own one one day.
Well that day finally arrived on June 1st. My wife (yes, the same one) and I drove 14 hours/820 miles to southern Florida. There, we met the owner and his fiance, both great folks. After a short test drive and all of the formalities, we became Grand Prix owners. I wish we could have stayed around longer, but couldn't because of weather. Because of an approaching storm, Tropical Storm Barry, we had to make our way north as quickly as possible. Another 820 rain-soaked I-95 miles later, the Grand Prix made it's way to it's new home yesterday. All driven miles, no trailer, no regrets.
WE LOVE IT! This car was built for the interstate. It handles fine, has plenty of power, and lots of room.

Thanks Bruce!!

Here it is, rode hard and put away wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	packing.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	93525   Click image for larger version

Name:	on the road again....JPG
Views:	164
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	93526   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0762.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	93527  

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 06-03-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Looks good Steve!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Jeremy. Do you remember at VMP I told you about the "mystery" red 70 Judge? The one supposedly in a back yard? I found it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM0681.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	93539  

Old 06-03-2007, 11:12 PM

those g/p's are GREAT cars. i've got one on my RESTORE list. i've owned it for 20 years. that looks like a nice one.

now if someone would just stamp some panels...........

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-03-2007, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd.
Thanks, Jeremy. Do you remember at VMP I told you about the "mystery" red 70 Judge? The one supposedly in a back yard? I found it.
Yes, I remember! What's the story on it? Gonna add it to the '67 and the GP?

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-04-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd.
For the past several weeks I have been in touch with a guy concerning a 72 Grand Prix for sale. I actually drove my first GP in 1979 and I loved it. It was a 71 SJ that was on a Pontiac dealer's lot in Hampton, Virginia. My wife and I test drove it one night, and we both loved it. I didn't leave there with the car, but I left with a desire to own one one day.
Well that day finally arrived on June 1st. My wife (yes, the same one) and I drove 14 hours/820 miles to southern Florida. There, we met the owner and his fiance, both great folks. After a short test drive and all of the formalities, we became Grand Prix owners. I wish we could have stayed around longer, but couldn't because of weather. Because of an approaching storm, Tropical Storm Barry, we had to make our way north as quickly as possible. Another 820 rain-soaked I-95 miles later, the Grand Prix made it's way to it's new home yesterday. All driven miles, no trailer, no regrets.
WE LOVE IT! This car was built for the interstate. It handles fine, has plenty of power, and lots of room.

Thanks Bruce!!

Here it is, rode hard and put away wet.
I'm happy the car has made its way to a good home and to owners that are interested in preserving a little bit of Pontiac history. Nice to hear that the GP was long desired and finally realized. Was the same for me when I purchased the car. Unfortunately, the timing of my purchase was bad with no time to spend having fun with the car. Always feeling that pang of guilt when I went in to the garage to see the GP just begging to be taken out and put through its paces. Not being able to spend my evenings tweaking, fixing, improving something other than my house. The sad part is that the garage is already filled with construction debris in preparation for wood floors in my bedrooms. Sometimes things change really fast.

As I mentioned on the phone, you guys made it out of dodge just in time. Within the hour after your departure the rain started and did not stop until the rain gauge read 6 inches. I know you had a wet trip, just glad you missed the part I experienced. I like the picture of the speedo at 80mph - Drive it like you stole it! Yeah! Keep me updated with this stage of the GP's life and feel free to contact me if you have questions that I may be able to help with.

I know 4004spd has been around the forums for some time and some of you have probably met Steve in person. For anyone who has not had the pleasure to meet Steve and his wife they are super people who represent the Pontiac hobby well. Wish we had more time to shoot the breeze, swap stories and bench race. Hopefully, in the future I'll be doing just that.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless
Yes, I remember! What's the story on it? Gonna add it to the '67 and the GP?

Jeremy, I don't know if I could be that lucky, but I plan to find out more about it.

Bruce, thanks for the kind words. It was a real pleasure doing business with you. I will be in touch, and thanks again for everything you went through getting the car ready.

Steve

Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Very nice GRAND PRIX.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 AM
Suspended

Congrads. GP looks great !!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ahhh!!!! You bought it. I remember when he put it up for sale here. It looked like a good car and a real good price. Congrats, and good luck. I was seriously thinking of selling my car or taking out a loan to buy that. Just kind of slept on it though. Look forward to hearing more stories about you and the car.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 06-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sweet Ride Steve!!!!!

I have always liked the early 70's GP's

1969 Pontiac GTO - Back On Top - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
Old 06-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice car. Am I correct in seeing only 37K miles on the odometer???

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 06-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all of the compliments! It is a nice car. There are a few things I plan to do to it in the next few weeks. I also need to locate a few trim pieces, so if anyone has suggestions...............

Jeff, it does say 37K, but it is probably the second time around. IMO it looks too good to be more than that. It came with documentation from day one, such as the Pontiac dealer's bill of sale to the original owner, protect-o-plate and all of the warranty booklets.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Senior Chief

I was lucky enough to drive it this week. A sweet riding car for sure! Plenty of power. Stong shifting trans. Nice rumbly idle. Real comfortable interior. Great purchase, Steve.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

nice grand prix it looks nice

Old 06-10-2007, 09:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue70 Send a message via Skype™ to Blue70

In case anyone is interested and is in the area..I know of a couple of these GP's and other Pontiacs that are about to be crushed in North Carolina. I have bought stuff from the yard (inc a 68 bird conv) and there is a bunch of stuff there including a 70 T37,65? GP , Lemans' and all sorts of full size cars. I can't get back there in time so am willing to pass on pics and the guy's # to whoever wants it. Makes me sick to see 900+ oldies get turned into Nissans.
PM me or email chevmad@camaros.net and I'll hook you up. Pass the word as there is too much crushing going on....in April I saw 8 T/A's squashed together on the back of a truck....I am still ill about that one.

1967 400 'bird 4 speed
1967 Firebird Sprint
1972 Trans Am
1973 Esprit
1976 T/A Carousel red (for sale resto project)

I think I need therapy...and a bigger garage....
Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 AM

I sure considered buying the car myself, it is exactly what I was looking for, but the distance made it difficult. It looks like a nice car, hope you enjoy it. I had a '71 in high school and have been kind of looking for one lately. I am afraid one of the Goats would have to be sacrificed if I bought another car, and I am not quite there yet.
TG

Old 12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Senior Chief

Name:	DSC00630.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	113974 Rest stop on 95 S in SC. Caught this one while eating a sandwich. It was a purdy one.