Old 03-27-2024, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 69 A Body Sideview Mirror

My 69 Lemans has a factory chrome remote driver’s side mirror and someone added a chrome passenger side mirror which has a smaller body. I don’t like the mismatch so if I want to retain the remote feature I will have to choose between a chrome factory driver’s side mirror and no passenger side mirror or matching bullet mirrors, driver’s side being remote. I realize a passenger side mirror wasn’t a factory option on my car.

I’d like to see pics of bullet mirrors on an A-body assuming someone here has done this already.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 03-27-2024, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it's done all the time, bugs me as a purist when it comes to mirrors but I'm also stuck with the non matching mirrors due to having a 69 remote. I haven't been able to bring myself to do anything about it so no mirror on the right.

keep in mind that it seems everyone skips over the part during this conversion that they mount the 71/72 body mirrors into the hole on the 69 or 70 doors and it's too far forward on the doors. body mirrors mounted back further due to the shorter distance between the stalk and the mirror face. yes it fits on the door in that 69 hole but it looks weird and isn't very functional from the right side if you mount that right one to match the left as far as position. this picture shows that with this mirror too far forward for that style mirror because they matched the hole on the left door intended for chrome mirrors.

pic of the 72 shows correct placement on the door for the mirror. they moved it back for a reason.

I'm leaning towards just biting the bullet and putting the non remote on the right. I am a stickler for symmetry....but i had the same issue on my dad's 68 cutlass with him having a remote on the right side and no matching version of it for the right side. He insisted on having a mirror added to the right door so I put the non remote on it for him. yes they're different....and no I don't even notice it at the shows. you're always on one side of the car or the other and it doesn't stand out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hotwheels.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	631203   Click image for larger version

Name:	72.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	631204  

The Following User Says Thank You to gto4evr For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for great information and the pictures - they look good on the 69 and the endura nose likely helps. Makes me wonder about a chrome nose car. My 69 bird had bullet mirrors when I bought it and they look OK so I kept them - but it too has limited amount of chrome on the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3404.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	631206  

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project