THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 22 yr old goes 198 mph in a Hellcat just outside Apex NC

This was on the local news.

Apparently a 22 yr old guy was having some fun with his Hellcat on US1 right outside of Apex one night this summer. In the video, it appears he is racing a motorcycle. He videotaped the action, then posted it on youtube. Somebody sent the link to the NC Highway Patrol, who promptly arrested him.

I drive this section of road often when I go back to visit family in Monroe. Traffic is often very light, especially after midnight. I've been passed by cars moving well in excess of the 70 mph speed limit, but I've never seen anything like this.

No comments about the driver or how he was able to afford such a car. I would prefer to keep this out of the Clubhouse.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/08/...ook-video.html

Old 08-18-2018, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL....gotta love that hair! The newscaster said that he was going to be charged with Speed Racing.....is there any other kind?? As a grown-up I frown on this, but if I were 22 again with 707 HP under my foot, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While one can say it is not respectful of societies rules and safety, which is a point.... I have more issues with people getting robbed, killed, wives getting abused, over this.... not defending guy, but there is worse everyday

Old 08-18-2018, 11:32 AM

Angry speed

another social media victim, Allot of tellers out there, STAY OFF THE GRID

Old 08-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been a number of years, but one weekend I was driving that same stretch of road about 2AM coming back from my home town of Monroe. That stretch of road between Apex and Sanford is pretty rural, with few exits. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw blue lights in the distance. The blue lights rapidly gained on me, and some type of foreign sports car blew by me at high speed, followed by three police cars that were in close pursuit with a couple more lagging behind. The road has some gradual turns, so the convoy disappeared and I never saw any of them again. I expected to see something in the news the next morning about a high speed chase that resulted in an accident, but nothing was reported. I still wonder if the driver managed to get away.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:32 PM
Suspended

Another dumdum that should have kept the video to his damn self and not posted it online! How can you be so stupid as to post something like that and not expect the wrong people to find out?

I mean, I'm not saying he should be out there going 198 mph on public roads, but for christ's sake don't post video of that online if you do! Stupid!

Old 08-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, the guy has got a "friend" that is not really a friend.

Anyway .... jeez, did you see him shift into high gear at about 170 mph. That's some serious fast car there.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't understand, there are millions of street racing video's, none of them are getting arrested. Why that guy?

Old 08-18-2018, 02:36 PM

I just got rid of my 2016 Hellcat a few weeks ago.

I only got up to 156 in it. Bought it new, I was 24 at the time, so not much older than this kid.

I had some serious fun and was above the speed limit most of the time. Dusted off a current model Corvette just before I sold it from a 60-70 roll like nobodies business. Dont believe it was a ZR1 but a Z06.

Very fun car with memories that won't soon disappear. I never took any videos of my shenanigans but worried about others catching me on video and sending it in. I was never very careless for obvious reasons but I liked to drop the hammer.. Unless you post incriminating videos, the old adage of "No face no case" is pretty concrete when it comes to alleged driving infractions.

Hopefully he learned his expensive lesson..

Old 08-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The worst part of this story for me is the sensational "news" reporting.

In my opinion, the media is getting really really really (triple really) good at scaring people for money.

Probably has something to do with why this particular YouTube post led to an arrest... but I freely admit to being cynical.

I have a hard time watching "news" programs anymore. One local channel is KING. I call them KOMG as they seem to scan the world for scary video to fill their "news" program every day.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yep, the guy has got a "friend" that is not really a friend.

Anyway .... jeez, did you see him shift into high gear at about 170 mph. That's some serious fast car there.
No doubt the best part of the car was when you were already at highway speeds and over. From about 80 it just might spin the tires slightly after you drop it to the rug, then it's a rocket. 80 to 120 is so quick that all you can do is giggle a little and try and get back down to misdemeanor speed before Ponch and Baker see you.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Young men in fast cars do that kind of thing. In '62 or '63 a friend and I took his '61 Vette north of town on U.S. Hwy 69 late one night to see how fast it would go. It went about 127 as I recall. It was a convertible and the glove compartment in those old Vettes is an open top thing. The vacuum behind the windshield caused my pack of cigarettes to float up
out of the glove compartment so I grabbed it and stuck it in my pocket, which I thought was kind of neat.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

And to think, the Hellcat isn't even the top rung of the Challenger performance ladder...

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 08-18-2018, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From 16-23, I used to drive at top speed on the highway all of the time - every time I took the freeway. I even had more than a few friends crash north of 110 mph (including at least 2 rollovers) with no serious injuries.

I can’t believe how lucky I was, and am glad that we didn’t have the powerful cars they do today. We sure didn’t have any fear back then...

Old 08-19-2018, 05:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't want to brag ... but I had my 68, standard YS GTO, with about 90K miles on it at the time ... up to the "B" on the brake light on the speedo in the early 80s .... had to be a solid 130-140 mph. Mostly stock with a 2.93 gear. Yes ...wrapped around past 120 and through the "brake" light to the "B"

Old 08-19-2018, 05:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIX8YAK View Post
No doubt the best part of the car was when you were already at highway speeds and over. From about 80 it just might spin the tires slightly after you drop it to the rug, then it's a rocket. 80 to 120 is so quick that all you can do is giggle a little and try and get back down to misdemeanor speed before Ponch and Baker see you.

Did you see how fast it went from 80 to 120 ... the freakin speedo would barely keep up.

So Friday morning, about 9am ... I'm still asleep because I work nights ... I hear some hellaish burn out in front of my house, I thought it was a rice burner because it sounded like about 9,000 rpm, beautiful music ... I heard it catch first and second.
Tonight at work (bartender) my friend Shawn comes in and says "did I wake you up yesterday?" I'm like "what?" ... he said "I did a burn out in front of your house" ... mystery solved ... Shawn and his 2016 HellCat ... thing sounded like a Banshee. ... Course he said he had the traction control off to get it to make a show.

BTW ...he's no kid ... about 50 years old ... freakin guy .. so maybe he still is a kid

Old 08-19-2018, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho-mike View Post
He videotaped the action, then posted it on youtube. Somebody sent the link to the NC Highway Patrol, who promptly arrested him.
He's probably going to have to re-adjust to a 49cc scooter bike for the next several years. Unless he gets Cousin Vinnie as a counselor , and some way to rig up 'proof' that the speedo was altered by software or imagery just to get the effect in the video.

Wonder if those cars have a "black-box" like some of the past Vettes.
That would be tough to beat

Quote:
And to think, the Hellcat isn't even the top rung of the Challenger performance ladder...
Who would have ever thought we could buy a new car off the lot and go do high 9 - low 10 second 1/4 mile times pulling the front wheels on the launch.
Drive it back home on cruise control with the A/C running.

Demon was a weak name.
Should have been Hell&Back or something more like that [Helen-Bach]

Old 08-19-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Did you see how fast it went from 80 to 120 ... the freakin speedo would barely keep up.

So Friday morning, about 9am ... I'm still asleep because I work nights ... I hear some hellaish burn out in front of my house, I thought it was a rice burner because it sounded like about 9,000 rpm, beautiful music ... I heard it catch first and second.
Tonight at work (bartender) my friend Shawn comes in and says "did I wake you up yesterday?" I'm like "what?" ... he said "I did a burn out in front of your house" ... mystery solved ... Shawn and his 2016 HellCat ... thing sounded like a Banshee. ... Course he said he had the traction control off to get it to make a show.

BTW ...he's no kid ... about 50 years old ... freakin guy .. so maybe he still is a kid
Hahaha, that's great! I'm happy he doesn't prescribe to his supposed maturity.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Don't want to brag ... but I had my 68, standard YS GTO, with about 90K miles on it at the time ... up to the "B" on the brake light on the speedo in the early 80s .... had to be a solid 130-140 mph. Mostly stock with a 2.93 gear. Yes ...wrapped around past 120 and through the "brake" light to the "B"

Nice, farther than me, only got to the middle of "BRAKE".

Old 08-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We had a V6 Fiero in 85 and the speedometer didn't have a stop for the pointer so when the needle was buried, it would start spinning in circles......sorta like a clock in fast forward. We used to get a kick out of that feature.