Old 07-16-2020, 10:55 AM

Thanks for that idea of using an open end wrench.

Doing some searching on Ames parts site and another forum. Looks as '68-'69 went to 1 inch diameter bar.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:14 PM

Took the GTO to the alignment shop today. They said it took them 3 hrs to align and at a cost of $298 does that sound right?

When I called to check on status they said as they pulled the car into the shop the right side brake hose blew/leaking. They told me they could not take it out for a test ride after alignment because of the bad brake hose.

As I was paying the bill they had the GTO sitting outside running I hear a tech yell turn the GTO off it may have blown a radiator hose. I opened the hood it was boiling out of the radiator cap. Tech said I may have a bad fan clutch and that is why it over heated. Could that be the cause to over heat?

Now I need to order new front brake hoses and possibly a fan clutch.

I will post some pictures of before and after the spring installation once I get the brake hoses changed out and fan clutch?????

Thanks for any advice
Tom

Old 07-31-2020, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cost for alignment is in the ballpark, generally speaking. They usually cost me about $200 plus tax here in Seattle on my BMW track car which is pretty easy to align. Shops around here charge anywhere from $80-120/hr, so if it took them 3 hours to align your car, approximately $300 is what I'd expect to pay. Now cue all the people from small towns who say they wouldn't pay over $50 for an alignment...

For the brake line, well, there isn't much to that. It either failed due to age, incorrect installation, or being damaged somehow. Too bad the shop couldn't take the car for a test drive after alignment, though.

Regarding the boiling over, did you check to see what the actual water temp was? Did the engine actually overheat? Firstly, I hope they didn't allow the engine to overheat by letting the engine idle for an extended period. That would be unfortunate. It's possible the engine wasn't overheating and you simply need a new radiator cap. Or maybe it was overheating and you need to go through to process of fully evaluating the effectiveness/condition of your entire cooling system. More info is needed.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-31-2020, 10:48 PM

Ze,

Thanks for the info on cost for alignment. So they are in the right ballpark.

Brake hoses looks to be original to me. They still have the outer cloth covering.

For the over heating they had just pulled the car out of the shop when I got there maybe 15 minutes or a little more sitting and ideling while I was chattIng and paying the bill. I am not sure on actual temp since I only have the idiot lights on my GTO. I will need to look into it more tomorrow.

How does one know if clutch on fan is bad?

Tom

Old 07-31-2020, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the brake hoses appear to be original, or just old in general, I would prioritize replacing ALL of the rubber brakes hoses on your car, including the hose which runs from the chassis to the rear axle. That's an element of risk that I wouldn't gamble with.

Regarding the fan clutch, I don't have any genuinely insightful ideas (hopefully others here do), but one thing I check for is that it has some resistance and doesn't just freewheel when you spin it by hand. Also, when the engine is heat soaked from idling, you should be able to hear the fan moving a TON of air if the clutch has engaged. It sounds like you're driving a vacuum cleaner. But I'd encourage you to consider installing an auxiliary water temp gauge so you can actually monitor the temp. Others here have mentioned that the idiot light doesn't actually turn on until something crazy like 240f, which is nearly melting down.

Another thing to keep in mind is that although overheating while idling can be caused by a bad fan clutch, that condition can also be cause by a number of other things, like the wrong fan, clogged/corroded radiator, improperly clearanced water pump divider plate, and so on. There are a few things to consider in addition to the fan clutch. Or as I mentioned previously, it could just be as simple as needing to replace the radiator cap.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 07-31-2020 at 11:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 11:18 PM

Ze,

After we turned the car off the tech spun the fan and that's when he said the clutch is bad. So yes the fan spun freely.

All brake hoses will be inspected now.

I really appreciate the advice from you and others.

Tom

Old 08-01-2020, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Now cue all the people from small towns who say they wouldn't pay over $50 for an alignment....
Well...actually...yeah, I've never paid more than $60~$70 for a two wheel alignment. I would probably faint dead out if they told me it was $300.
Atlanta isn't all that small either.

Old 08-01-2020, 02:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadspackard View Post
Top view

New coil spring diameter is larger
There's a rubber insulator on the old one. You should, at bare minimum, move those to
the new springs. Keeps the spring centered, and it'll add a little height (compared to if
you left them out)

Old 08-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Cost for alignment is in the ballpark, generally speaking. They usually cost me about $200 plus tax here in Seattle on my BMW track car which is pretty easy to align. Shops around here charge anywhere from $80-120/hr, so if it took them 3 hours to align your car, approximately $300 is what I'd expect to pay. Now cue all the people from small towns who say they wouldn't pay over $50 for an alignment...
Rochester, MN is only about 120,000 - not a "small" town - but not a major metropolis either.

At the local Cadillac dealership, the alignment of my ATS when I purchased new tires was $80.00.

You might wonder why did I get my tires at the Cadillac dealership? Aren't dealerships more expensive?

Not always. They price matched the best deal I could get and had a $200.00 rebate if I used my GM credit card (only $100 without the card). Seeing as how I get 5% rewards towards a new GM product - that amounted to about another $45.00 off for a total of $245.00 off the best deal...

Old 08-01-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
There's a rubber insulator on the old one. You should, at bare minimum, move those to
the new springs. Keeps the spring centered, and it'll add a little height (compared to if
you left them out)
I did purchase new rubber insulators and installed them. They it did add a little height but I still needed to guide the springs into position.

Tom

Old 08-01-2020, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

$300 is definitely on the high side for an alignment. I paid $175 last time for my Silverado and I think $100-150 for my car. X20 on replace all the old brake lines. I have had an aftermarket clutch fan on my car the last 13yrs/40k miles. It moves freely in either direction when the car is off. Only time I ever had a problem with it was when the clutch gave out and it would spin all the time (wouldn't stop spinning at a highway rpm) and it was extra loud. You could get a $25 temp gun and shoot the water neck to check temps. Like Ze said, it could be as simple as a cap or thermostat.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can get an alignment for a modern car inexpensively. That's because thay can use modern technology, apparantly. Those shops wouldn't touch my Tempest. I had to find a guy that did classic cars and was happy to pay him 250.00 cash.

Old 08-02-2020, 09:24 AM

Thanks guys for the input on costs of alignment. I lived and learned on this one to come ask you all first before turning over the car to have others work on it

This is why I prefer to do whatever I can myself because the high labor cost here in Chicigiland.

Back to the GTO.

Advance Auto had the brake hoses and fan clutch. I saved $30 since I had perk rewards. ��

Have everything installed. Just need to get to the front brakes bleed and should be good to go.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:03 PM

If anyone is interested was doing some reading/research of the Pontiac GTO 1964 -1970 Restoration Guide and came upon this page (232).
Click image for larger version

Name:	pg232.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	546546
It states the spring part number 400881 are for convertibles without AC.

Spring that came out of my car. Tag reads
LY
Click image for larger version

Name:	1960 GTO Right Front Coil Spring Tag.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	546543

I wonder at some point the springs were changed out and someone put in 1968 convertible springs.

Tom

Old 08-08-2020, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More than likely the resto guide is wrong. It’s known to have a few errors.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 08-08-2020, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadspackard View Post
If anyone is interested was doing some reading/research of the Pontiac GTO 1964 -1970 Restoration Guide and came upon this page (232).
Attachment 546546
It states the spring part number 400881 are for convertibles without AC.

Spring that came out of my car. Tag reads
LY
Attachment 546543

I wonder at some point the springs were changed out and someone put in 1968 convertible springs.

Tom
I found a chart that shows LY springs for 1969 standard 400 Gto, auto or manual, passenger side. Drivers side should be SB