Old 04-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmurrell View Post
There is a '64 convertible GTO with tripower & 4spd for sale in the April edition of the Legend. Owner is Cleve Thurber and can be contacted at clevethurber@gmail.com or (313) 886-2805. Bill
I talked the the gentleman as it is a local call for me. He probably lives 3 miles away from me.

Here is how the car is built:

1964 Pontiac GTO Convertible, 4-speed, Tri-Power; Aquamarine, parchment interior, white top; power steering, power brakes, power windows, wood wheel, console w/vacuum gauge, Hurst wheels w/new Coker redline tires, splitters, padded dash, electric clock, vintage sun tach mounted on steering column, AM-FM stereo w/trunk-mounted 12-disc CD changer (have original radio); MSD ignition, new clutch/flywheel, new 3.56 rear axle, ceramic coated headers, Flowmaster exhaust system, engine meticulously rebuilt, balanced and blueprinted. Top-shelf restoration by R&A Engineering, Manchester, Michigan. PHS documented, Protect-O-Plate. All receipts.
$89,500

http://ra-restorations.com/

(Supposed to have done restorations for Bob "the Putz")

The car has obviously been tweaked to suit the owners taste.

"Vintage sun tach mounted on steering column, AM-FM stereo w/trunk-mounted 12-disc CD changer (have original radio); MSD ignition, new 3.56 rear axle, ceramic coated headers, Flowmaster exhaust system"

Lots of pictures in Hemmings. Car has been on the market for 8 months.
Owner says he will lose money at sale of $89k. Not a Pontiac guy as did not know if car was built in Pontiac, K.C., etc. He said that he would look at the protect-o-plate and read the build letter. He has PHS info but if it is for a Pontiac build and the car was k.C. then we know stuff is wrong.

He has owned the car for 3 years.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Boost Engineer

Thought I read recently that someone was going to provide the 64 GTO Registry Information to some GTO club in the near future. I would be very unhappy about that deal.

I was told that there would be some confidentiality if the info was provided to the Person in Charge of the Registry.

So what is the story here?

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, I'm not aware of that being the case.

My understanding is that when I forward the updated Registry by pdf to Don, he distributes by email only to the guys who have submitted their cars/info.

Hopefully Don will chime in.

Of course, as I write this, it occurs to me that anybody on the Registry could distribute the pdf to anyone. I've assumed that each Owner would keep the Registry confidential but maybe not so.

Do we have a problem?

I'll email Don.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

No problem that I am ware of. Tom I sent you a PM and an e mail to all those that have participated so far . Don

Old 04-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Registry is underway. I'm the data entry clerk for Don. So far, 3 cars have been logged. C'mon all you '64 fans, need to catch up to the '65 Registry!
Ha! You'll never catch the '65 registry....

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 04-17-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post

Of course, as I write this, it occurs to me that anybody on the Registry could distribute the pdf to anyone. I've assumed that each Owner would keep the Registry confidential but maybe not so.
I replied to your PM, Don with my concerns based on a situation that happened to a friend of mine.

You would like to think that everyone in the Registry would honor the confidentiality of the Information. I have no issues with someone knowing that I have owned 64 GTOs built certain ways. I do have an problem with distribution of VIN numbers for very desirable vehicles where the info could easily make it out on to the internet or to people who know how to find information on the internet based on State Records, Tax Records, etc.

I can remember when we used to have to give our SS # every time we passed a check in college. It was used as your Student ID. Today we have learned that that was a very bad idea.

JMO

Tom Vaught

VIN numbers are no different.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i agree with your concerns tom.

how about john leaves off the vin #'s when he publishes the registry, as extra precaution? i don't think anyone has any legitimate reason to know this.... tim

Old 04-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Boost Engineer

Yep, I think that would be an excellent idea.

I provided the VIN to John V to help him "track" build info vs time dates. If that would not have been a valuable thing I would never have given out the VIN to anyone.

The PHS documents clearly show GTOs built with Tr-Powers from the factory.

Tom Vaught

Old 04-18-2011, 01:08 AM

I think what Tom V is referring to is an email from Tom Arendt that he was going to publish information about the registry in their widely read Cruising Tigers Club newsletter to spread the word about the registry, not publish the actual registry data. At least that was my take on it. Walt

Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The blurb in The Crusin' Tigers' monthly has only info on joining the 64 Registry, nothing else. Larry B.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Found One Today

It's not mine but I met the Husband and Wife which bought this 64 Tri-Power 4 spd. Conv. new in mid 1964. I have pics of the firewall data plate and LH door jam VIN tag. He has done some odd personal touches, but it's the real deal. It's up to you guys if you want to add it to your list? LMK, Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Niles 5-14-11 000.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	244380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Niles 5-14-11 003.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	244381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Niles 5-14-11 016.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	244382  

Old 05-22-2011, 09:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don,

I've mentioned this before but failed to follow up. Will begin to do so.

I started collecting info on all '64 GTOs back in '84. B'Cast copies, VINs, Trim Tag info, Warranty Tags, owner info, Window Sticker info, Manifest info, etc. The purpose was to decipher the Trim Tag codes (working w/Pete McCarthy).

Over the years, I've collected info on hundreds of '64 GTOs by surveying owners from Smoke Signals, the GTO Assoc., car shows, junk yards and even a car I'd see on the road. Back before computers & databases, I'd organize this info manually. At some point, I started logging the data into an Excel matrix.

I'll start putting together everything I have and send it to you.

As for disclosure of VINs, I guess I can understand some concerns regarding confidentiality. There are some out there who mis-use everything (shared a Build Sheet from an HO 68 GTO once to a local Detroit area friend.. car was parted out. He ended up doctoring what I gave him for his own 'clone' and didn't present the car at a show as a clone). Anyhow, I suppose it makes sense not to publically distribute VINs. However, one wonders then why VINs are not hidden on vehicles. They're right there on the dash for all to see (which is how I gathered many from car shows). Not saying it can't be done, but how is it that someone can take the VIN from another's car and use this to steal/clone or?? another car? It's your VIN; you have the title. Is it that easy to take ANY VIN and walk into a DMV/Sec.State and get a title for it?
Then what? Create new a new VIN tag (and Trim Tag), put it on your car and claim that your's is legit and the rightful owner of the real car/VIN is in possession of a fraud? Again, I'm sure anything is possible. Just saying; if it were that easy, Auto Mfg. wouldn't display the VIN.

Is there a law anywhere about publishing VIN numbers?

Not trying to stir up a debate; Just wondering why the secrecy?

Personally, I think that part of a Registry is to see the VIN and associated data to reveal some interesting results. Maybe help someone find a car they once owned. Track certain production variations. Determine which are still on the road or similarities. The VIN is the unique element of research. The Body Unit Number (I'm told) wasn't duplicated during production; That too would then be unique. In any Registry, you're going to have partial info. Sometimes, I obtained only the VIN; Sometimes only the Trim Tag info. The Dash VIN didn't appear until '68 so in order to get the VIN on a '64, you'd have to open the Door (wouldn't do that at a car show).

Anyhow, for what it's worth, I'll make copies of everything I have and put together a pkg. for you Don. Would be nice to finally see this info shared in a way that can benefit others (with or w/o VIN). It is interesting to see consecutive VINs come in from different parts of the country or, to find very early (like the 1st or last) VINs.

Thanks!
John
SR71@comcast.net

Semper Fi
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sent you an e mail

Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 PM

Default registry

Well reading the post on this subject sounds like my car is a rare bird or should I say goat (:
i have a real documented 4 speed tri power convertible. this might explain why when I bought it I receive a phone call 6 months later that the person was sorry and wanted to buy it back. Sorry if you ever read this post but no way jose. I dont understand what people are afraid of by listing it in the registry are they afraid someone is going to clone it ?

Last edited by Curnane; 06-05-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA1John View Post
Just saying; if it were that easy, Auto Mfg. wouldn't display the VIN.

Is there a law anywhere about publishing VIN numbers?
It's a Federal requirement for the VIN to be prominently displayed on the vehicle (hence the move from the door pillar to the top of the instrument panel in the 70's).

In fact, we have to build in features so the VIN cannot be obscured, such as a bump to prevent slipping an index card between the VIN tag and the IP dash pad.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile You Have to Love It

When I stopped in AZ the other night the assistant manager called me over and said Don you'll appreciate this. A friend of my mothers just had eye surgery and got her drivers license back so she could drive her GTO ,can you guess what it is ? a 1964 tri power convertible, she bought the car new and it has been garage kept and always serviced by the GM dealership.
I told him I have to talk to this lady.He's going to try and get contact information for me I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love these types of stories. My mom had a Bridge partner, and they used to play every week or so. Her name was Margo, and in 71, bought a 70 GTO CVT. off the lot in La Grange, Illinois. Drove it to the card tournaments, games whenever the weather was good, even when it was iffy. She was 75 last time I worked a bit on her car!
Don, please post any info you obtain on this car! Larry B.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

Default top boot snaps

I'm looking over the instructions that came with my convertible top boot and I'm unsure about the number of snaps that are used. I have 4 total= two on each side. Are more used? Are there snaps on the corners of the stainless trim? The instructions mention 5 more. How many are on yours?

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_ron View Post
I'm looking over the instructions that came with my convertible top boot and I'm unsure about the number of snaps that are used. I have 4 total= two on each side. Are more used? Are there snaps on the corners of the stainless trim? The instructions mention 5 more. How many are on yours?
There are 6 total two on each arm rest then two on the back of the rear seat on each end there is an elastic piece with a snap on the boot that attaches there. . Only 65s have the two snaps on the corners of the stainless boot well trim .

Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Senior Chief

Default Top boot

I think this has been discussed before but let's start again. It looks to me like the clips that hold the top boot in place are going to scratch the hell out of the stainless trim. Is that the case? It's for that reason I haven't put the top boot on when the top is down. What do you guys do?

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"