Old 07-24-2020, 12:44 PM

Default 68 OEM core support into 69

I have a chance to pick up a nice 68 OEM core support, thinking about swapping into my 69 because mine is slightly tweaked (was straightened by a collision shop at some time in the past, but the top surface is still crinkled after straightening).
This should be a straight bolt in I believe, based on researching older posts....but, I’m unclear on reusing my good 69 fan shroud.
So - looking for confirmation on fit of 68 support, and comments on fan shroud usage
Thx in advance

Old 07-24-2020, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

68 radiator support is different than a 69.
Fan shroud for 69 won't work on 68 radiator support.
68 has a metal top and plastic bottom can shroud.
Might change top metal of radiator support and make it work, not sure about that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepontiacman View Post
68 radiator support is different than a 69.
Fan shroud for 69 won't work on 68 radiator support.
68 has a metal top and plastic bottom can shroud.
Might change top metal of radiator support and make it work, not sure about that.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Yea, thx - your reply is exactly what I needed. My backup plan was to buy a repop and swap the top, which was your last suggestion

Old 07-24-2020, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

one way street 69 into 68 with a trim

not a 68 into a 69 ,,,,, I have a 69 in one of my 68 converts and it bugs the KRAP out of me

but I dont have a spare 68 right now ....

Old 07-25-2020, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if the '69 repop support has the same issue that the '68 has.
'dataway' did a thread somewhere on it. He had to do extensive surgery to get the pronounced forward 'lean' right. Literally had to do surgery on it.

Found it- After viewing this, it may be easier to convert the OEM '68 to your '69.... https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=835789

Old 07-25-2020, 04:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's the same repop part sold for 68 through 72 with different modifications required depending on year of the vehicle. Might be "bolt on" for 72. I've seen them listed as 68-70, or 70-72 etc. Depends on how much the vendor thinks you are willing to modify them.

My repop was 15 years old ... they might have fixed the lean angle thing, but I kind of doubt it. Pretty good test is to see if it will stand up on the bottom rail ... if it will then it's not going to fit right. I think people are installing them anyway and just forcing them into place. Because the support and radiator are rubber mounted you can technically force the top of the support forward so the fenders will bolt on, but that still leaves the lower radiator mounts at the wrong angle and the frame mounts all jacked up. I'm guessing ugly things will happen when it comes time to align the front bumper and sheet metal.

The assembly manuals show that the support is supposed to lean at about a 10 degree angle with the bottom rail being level (not leaning) .... the repops have the top plate and bottom rail parallel, so when you angle the support it cranks the bottom rail to the wrong angle.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you were closer:
I would trade my 1972 Core Support & Shroud (both very nice, and core top cut nicely for 68-69), for your 68 Core and a 68 shroud.

But, seems to far and spendy to ship.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:28 AM
Senior Chief

Is the following link a different reproduction than most people have used? Curious as to whether it was the one requiring the angle modifications. They also list some notes in the info section about fitment.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/supp...o/178043/10432

Sorry- not trying to derail the post, just curious as my original ‘68 support is shot and I picked up a used ‘68 support in better condition that I still have to do some welding on the lower right mount area to make functional.

Old 07-25-2020, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's almost impossible to tell from photos unless you can find one on level ground taken from the side.

Need to find someone that knows what they are doing that has bought one recently. Most people set them on the frame horns, put in the mounting bushings and figure they fit and don't find the problem until it's time to bolt on the sheet metal. I've mentioned it to vendors ... even ours, and they don't seem interested in informing the customers of the issue if it still exists.

Here is the pertinent drawing from the assembly manual ... note where it says "Point BD" ... that it's horizontal. On the repop (again at least on mine) this lower rail was at the same angle as the top plate.

If you can discover if the new repops have corrected this you are good to go other than the modifications they require for your year vehicle.

(correction to my previous post .... should have said "if it will stand up on the bottom rail on the edge of a bench or table ... there is a lip on the bottom that is supposed to be there")

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Core-Support-Lean-1.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	545730  

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 11:10 AM

If you choose not to use the 68 support I would be interested in it.
Thanks

Old 08-15-2020, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just had my original 68 core support repaired and powder coated. A few things that crossed my mind was the forward angle of the support. So I dug out my scientific angle tool and measured a little over 9* from vertical.

It needed the bushing mounts repaired. I found set of metal patches from OPGI that worked well. I don't weld but had a good friend do the work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_20b1.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	547284   Click image for larger version

Name:	R8DoVXqdQ4+0IcRvb0iudg.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	547285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Y20SliUZQ06BSffaISB7lA.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	547286  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 08-15-2020, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, after going through the repop modifications .... I'd highly recommend an OEM part if only the mounts need repairing. Looks like yours turned out nice.

Sometimes the repop is the only practical answer, specially in the Northeast ... good examples go for stupid money, and good Southwest examples cost a ton by the time you get them shipped. If you are lucky you find a Northeast hoarder that will let you pry a nice one from their tight sweaty magnetic claws

Old 08-15-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe'sgto View Post
If you choose not to use the 68 support I would be interested in it.
Thanks
Sorry but it’s sold. When I told the seller I was going to pass it he advised he already had a second purchaser for it