WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Engine Tech

04-06 Engine Tech LS engine tech center. Get the most out of your car here.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Normal LS2 pil pressure?

I'm looking to buy an 05 GTO here fairly soon. Went and looked at a nice black 05 auto car last night. Guy had an aftermarket gauge pod on the top center of the dash and I couldn't help but notice it constantly read around 20-25 psi. I thought that was a bit low but I'm not sure what LS2s usually run at? Any ideas? If it's normal I'm really considering buying the car. If not I'm walking away as I've got 2 more I've looked at I liked.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonneville Joe View Post
I'm looking to buy an 05 GTO here fairly soon. Went and looked at a nice black 05 auto car last night. Guy had an aftermarket gauge pod on the top center of the dash and I couldn't help but notice it constantly read around 20-25 psi. I thought that was a bit low but I'm not sure what LS2s usually run at? Any ideas? If it's normal I'm really considering buying the car. If not I'm walking away as I've got 2 more I've looked at I liked.
You know, both LS1's I've had in my car read about 25psi at idle on my Stewart Warner electrical gauge, though they read onsiderably higher when I installed a quick mechanical guage. Could be just the gauge reading funky. At WOT and the top of the rev range, I do get my ~65 PSI indicated though.
Went 12's in pure daily driver trim! A/C, leather power seats, power
steering, full stereo, sound deadening, power windows, full suspension,
true street tires, power 4 wheel discs, and 25MPG!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure if it was an electrical or mechanical gauge. I didn't think to ask. If I do decide I think I want that car I'll investigate it a little further. Car was nice and the price was right.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Chief

Those gauge pods are electric and were a plug and play upgrade untill Feb on 06 model GTO's. Feb on 06's require an extra harness to connect gauges.
20-25 PSI is normal. Here are the specs from the factory service manual: oil pressure min HOT- 6 PSI @1000RPM, 18PSI @2000RPM, 24PSI @ 4000RPM. Hope this helps.
06 GTO M6 18's red/red - 1 OF 188.
09.5 G8 GT Stryker blue met. premium with sport pkg.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome. Yeah that does. I was afraid it had an oiling issue or something. That makes me feel way better. Now just to get the negotiating done lol.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Senior Chief

Cool! Good luck and let us know how you make out. I have an 06 and love it wouldn't trade for anything else. The only thing I dont like about the LS2 is it is a bit noisey on the top end the valve train makes a ticking noise most noticable when driving by a wall such as a drive thru. Mine started this at @ 2000 miles. But out of the whole car its the only negative I have besides sore cheeks from smiling ear to ear when ever I'm in it ;-).
06 GTO M6 18's red/red - 1 OF 188.
09.5 G8 GT Stryker blue met. premium with sport pkg.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe, I don't know if you remember my blue 06 in the drive when you stopped by the house a while back. It is NOT for sale!!! After driving for 4+ years now it is still high on the list of all-time favorite performance cars I've owned. Might not get much attention (which is sometimes a good thing) but it is a real driver's car.

My only complaint- the top corner seams of my rear seats split. But I understand many/most have done that because of the sun beating down through the window- especially here in the south.

Good luck on negotiations!

Walt

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 10-22-2010, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Walt, yeah I ended up with the car. I've changed the oil since I got it, it cruises just under 50psi now and idles at 25. Mobil one 5w30 oil in it. My rear seats split also. I just went to atlanta and picked up a new rear seat for mine. You need to join the gto club. We go all over the state. 64-06 cars.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad to hear that you got that car Joe, sounds like you are happy with it.

I have no idea what my oil pressure is, but its been serviced by the dealer since brand new and no indications of any engine problems. When they decided to kill Pontiac last year I got a letter in the mail from the dealer saying that they would give me free service this year except for the cost of the oil and parts, to try to keep my business. Can't beat that.

My AC compressor died this past summer and I got my "older car" mechanic to do the repairs. He told me it was the most expensive AC job he ever did for anyone- I guess suppliers figure that anyone with an LS engine can afford inflated prices for parts. But that's the only problem I've had with mine (other than the seats splitting) in the 5 years I've owned it.

I'm not sure which club you are talking about. I've started taking my LeMans to local shows and getting an idea of just how few classic Pontiacs there are in the Augusta area. And I have yet to meet another local "new" GTO owner- you are now as close as that gets

Walt

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lol, yeah. Let me know if you ever want to get together and tear up some pavement. The club is called the south carolina gto tigers club. We are a chapter of the gtoaa. I've got my '05, there's a red '04 and a orange '06 as of now. There's a ton of new ones here in the upstate I'm trying to recruit.