Old 08-18-2005, 01:59 PM

Default What intake to go with

Is the Edlebrock Performer intake the only one that will fit under a shaker hood without having to mess with it. Also what year model Trans Am hoods will fit a 73. I have a Holley Street Dominator that came on the car but everyone has told me to get rid of it and go with a dual plane intake. The carb on their now is a Holley 750 with vacume secondaries. I have a Holley 800 Double pumper thats a spread bore is that a better carb to go with or should i just find a Q-Jet.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Holley Street Dominator intake is a fairly desirable single plane/medium rise intake, that is no longer available - if you clean it up well, and have a nice listing on eBay I suspect you could get some good money for it (it's one of very few aftermarket intakes that will fit under the hood of a second gen firebird - including a T/A... I wouldn't advise getting rif of it...)

I believe the "Performer RPM" is the commonly recomended edelbrock intake - if I recall correctly, the non-RPM exibits less bottom end power than the 'RPM'... but I might be wrong...

A hood from any 1970-1976 firebird will fit properly on any 1973 Firebird...

Old 08-18-2005, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

rpm won't fit under the shaker.
performer will.
your 6211 holley makes a wicked street carb if you have a combo that can use it - stickshift or a good amount of stall, and reasonable gearing.

intake wise, a dual plane will indeed make a bunch more bottom end then a single plane like your holley.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How wild of a combo R U running?

How about the new Hurricane / Tomahawk . Fits under the hood and supposed to perform similar to the Performer RPM.

It is also a single plane, so a slight loss of low end may come into factor. Depending on your combo.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:16 PM

I bought the car recently so i don't know what the insides look like yet. It lopes when running but i can't really drive it because both front tires are flat and it needs some front suspension work. I was wanting to get an idea of what kind of intake, cam, and carb setup i would need to occomplish this. It will mainly be a street car with a couple of days at the track each month. I was wanting to run mid 12's when i was done with it.

Old 08-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Larry Navarro, who is a member here has developed a drop base air cleaner assembly that will allow you to use your original shaker top with an Edelbrock RPM intake. I have one for my 76T/A and it is great. Here is a link to his order site and his webshots site to see some pics of it.

http://www.transamcountry.com/sponsor_WFO.htm

http://community.webshots.com/album/129263156jDeXOf

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"