Old 03-25-2018, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1970 Sandlewood interior questions...

I have a 1970 GTO Convertible I am working on. It is Grenada Gold with a Sandlewood interior. The car was fully restored but has a few things that needed attention.

The key buzzer was on anytime the door was opened. I knew this was not correct so I pulled the column apart to find the ign tumbler was never removed (flashing was still obscuring the button to remove it. The car came with original keys that were badly worn. I had new Ign keys cut from the original code on the tumbler and cleaned/lubricated the tumbler and now everything works as it should - buzzer stops when you pull the key out, or door is closed.

While I had the column apart, I decided it needed to be repainted as the keys had scratched it badly. So I figured I only had to remove the top section of the column and prepare and repaint it. I took this top section to a local body/paint supply and had them match the paint. It was close, but not perfect. Looks even worse that the column is now together as the upper and lower are very different.

I ordered some Sandlewood paint from Ames and it is not correct either. Pulled the entire column to paint (as now its assembled/working and no need to pull it back apart). Easier to pull the entire column. I even tried painting it black before the sandlewood. It darkened it up a bit, but not enough.

This column looks to be more of a carmel color than the sandlewood. The Dash, steering wheel and column all seem to be darker than the rest of the interior.

I would imagine I am not the first person to run into this issue.

Also looking for a nice original Wood sport wheel for this car. This car has the standard wheel and is a little 'sticky'. Especially when it sits in the sun and you drive it. Ames does not have the reproduction in stock right now and looking 6-8 weeks before they do (and basically told me it could be longer).

If anybody has any recommendations for fixing the 'sticky' on the wheel, I'm all ears. It is in decent shape otherwise. I've tried a few cleaners, but nothing too aggressive, as I don't want to make it worse.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5624.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	478973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5629.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	478974  

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 03-25-2018, 12:48 PM

Subscribed

Old 03-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was thinking that lacquer thinner was used to clean these deluxe wheels but it only asts for a little while. I have used simple green with success. Search the 70-72 section for more info.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Would your shop if you took the column and the mix back too them re-try the mix until correct paint tone?? I would try that as far as color matching best bet..
I don't know of any spray can that gets Sandalwood right
SEM Santa Fe looks close on charts but haven't tried it

Old 03-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Senior Chief

9704-L DuPont with 0 gloss

Old 03-25-2018, 04:15 PM

I came up with this post from another forum. <You don't want the 0% gloss for the column, you need the low gloss, often referred to as 60% gloss. That Ditzler number is 23324. Remember the paint on there now has probably faded and may look light next to new paint. If you're going to paint everything, it will all match anyway. The best method to apply would be a gun and a bc/cc application although getting it in a spray can would be easier.>

Old 03-25-2018, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cificare View Post
I came up with this post from another forum. <You don't want the 0% gloss for the column, you need the low gloss, often referred to as 60% gloss. That Ditzler number is 23324. Remember the paint on there now has probably faded and may look light next to new paint. If you're going to paint everything, it will all match anyway. The best method to apply would be a gun and a bc/cc application although getting it in a spray can would be easier.>
What he said….9727-L DuPont 60' semi gloss

Old 03-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a lot of expertise in Sandalwood Interiors as I did all my homework on my judge back in the 90s when you could get all the DuPont books it's too much for me to explain here but there's three different colors used on 70 Sandalwood Interiors if you want to give me a call I can give you an idea on what you're up against and how to do it the correct way most every car I see at car shows these days all have there Sandalwood Interiors destroyed and not even close to what they were when they were new that paint That's when your column it if that's what he did is not even close to what it once was which I'm sure you already know by now 267 246-6903 I can explain to you what to do with your steering wheel also to rejuvenate it. Give me a call tomorrow when you have a chance I just got home from a long day and probably going to bed

Old 03-25-2018, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Right on. I restored my brother's 70 OO Judge Sandlewood interior, and holy smokes that is a beautiful color play. Sandlewood is just stunning.

Even the 3-spoke steering wheel is a beautiful play on tri-tones ( i just cleans the heck out of it).

Old 05-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ended up having the paint supply shop use the camera on the steering wheel and they came up with a 2000 Chrysler accent/pinstripe color being the closest match in their DB. It worked out perfect and is very close to the dash color. Then added a wood sport wheel. I have attached a pic of the paint color info as well in case anyone needs it. This matched the original overspray on the column.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5706.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	482238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5663.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	482239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5698.jpg
Views:	100