Old 01-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Color Test Car Body? (Nixon's)

I'm working on a Top Secret project (shhhhh) and have run across a very interesting mis-match. This car is a CC paint code car (Cameo Ivory/Cameo Ivory) and the build sheet matches also.

Here is the situation. This car, from the fire wall back was originally painted Tiger Gold poly - then painted Cameo Ivory. The dog-house has never seen a coat of Tiger Gold poly, and still wears it original Cameo Ivory. I've played around on this car enough to know that the Cameo Ivory is likely a factory applied paint.

BTW, that's rust, not Tiger Gold poly on the front fender.

So, is this a factory goof, a color test body, or....... your thoughts. I thought this would spark some good discussion.

-r-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Start4.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	194065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Start1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	194066  

Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 PM

Hey, that junker looks familiar!

FWIW, PHS states It's a Cameo Ivory car, Trim Tag confirms it, VIN is unmolested as is the trim tag, unless someone had the correct rivets and did it a LONG time ago. That's not the only thing odd on the car but I'll let that lie til the next thread.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...just slightly

Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I could only recall where I have seen that car. hmmmmmm It will come to me.

Maybee it was started in one plant then shipped to another for completion? na gm would never do that.

patrick

Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike and I have had some discussion on the car. The doors are a Tiger Gold poly base also (although it's not shown in the pics)

-r-

Old 01-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe it was damaged in shipment and customer came to pick it up only to see it wrecked. throws a fit so the dealer takes parts off another car on the lot repaints it and customer is happy.

just thinking

patrick

Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Patrick, they had to take the WHOLE BODY off and swap trim and vin tags if that was the case.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I know the answer. Human Error. lol

Yep thats it Human Error.

patrick

Old 01-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like a screw-up occurred on the car somehow. Maybe it was one of those cars like is described in the Smoke Sigs Art. where it fell off the crane and got put off to the side & then run through again when they had another order etc.

Since they painted the front clip separately the body could have gone through as gold, gotten messed up during assembly & out of synch then put back on the line after they got another order. That would explain why the front clip was never gold.

Since the car is the product of a screw-up & is in no way totally perfect, the owner is not going to want to have anything to do with it. In fact, I doubt anyone on this board would be caught dead owning such a reject Ron. You had better just send it on to the crusher.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 01-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since the car is the product of a screw-up & is in no way totally perfect, the owner is not going to want to have anything to do with it. In fact, I doubt anyone on this board would be caught dead owning such a reject Ron. You had better just send it on to the crusher. Today 11:10 AM
I'll let Mike address that comment...

The out of sync, to me, doesn't make sense, unless they would have re-VIN-ed the car and put another trim tag on it. The VIN and trim tag come from the build sheet and the build sheet was produced a day or so before hand.

I'm still leaning toward a test car or someone in the paint booth grabbed the wrong spray gun (like due to ingestion of a beer or two the night before)

And just to give a glimps of what's to come...

-r-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Pics 009.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	194147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Pics 010.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	194148  

Old 01-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Aaaaww he!! It's the Purple Nurple.

That rocks! Glad to see the dream coming to "reality".

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 01-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Homo Purple?
Was it very hard to get the tint correct?
Looks good so far. Like all your projects.
Do you think it will be done before you go down under?

patrick

Old 01-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't quite tell from the tone of this thread if you guys are teasin' or if you are serious - so - I'll give a serious answer and then if you are jokin' you can let me in on it later.

It sounds like you are saying you think the body may have been painted the wrong color (Tiger Gold) from the factory.

What would have happened is, once the car was on the final line, and the correct white fenders installed on the incorrectly painted gold body they would have realized their mistake.

I can't ever remember this happening (the body being painted the wrong color, not to say it didn't), although I do remember fenders being painted the wrong color, especially two tones. I can remember fenders that matched each other that didn't match the car, and I can remember fenders painted two tone that didn't match each other! The repair in that case was always to build another set of correct fenders and bolt the replacement fenders on (rather than repainting the existing fenders).

As far as an incorrectly painted body - I honestly can't say what they would have done. Certainly they could have stripped the trim off and sprayed a white color coat on, although they would have had to paint the door jambs and everything. I have also seen them scrap a body (usually one damaged in the body shop; not a completed body) and build a replacement with the same VIN and cowl tag.

This all would have been done back in heavy repair, since the car was already completed. There would have been no need to "cut in" a replacement body, since the assembly process on this particular car would have already been complete.

Does that help any? Based on what you are seeing, it sounds like an assembly error and that they repainted the body back in the paint repair area (at the end of the line).

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 01-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith-

When did the VIN & cowl tags get put on? At what stage of assembly process?

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM

Keith, this is a serious thread, The car's mine and the color wasn't the only screwy thing with it when I bought it. The white matches the PHS.

Yes It's gonna be Homo Purple to show my feminine side! Should look good with the Rallys.

Re the actual paint color, That wasn't a big deal My supplier called Dupont and I did a test spray on the header panel for my 65 GTO. Looks dead on to me.

Bruce, if GM as like most other asm plants I've been around the Trim and Vin tags were put on in final Assembly.

If the trim tag would've come back as a Gold Car it'd stay Gold, I like the gold you don't have to wash them nearly as much as a White or Black car! This things a driver although it looks as tho it'll be WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too nice for that when Ron's done abusing it.

There's no pressure on this one to be done, Ron's pushing himself harder than I ever would on this. He's doing it because I didn't want it down for 5 yrs like the rest of my cars end up being when I start on them.

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Yes It's gonna be Homo Purple to show my feminine side!
She will look LOVELY in homo purple, Mike! And to think that all this time I thought you hated that color.

'41 Plymouth Business Coupe

You can't put a price tag on a good time!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:21 PM
Senior Chief

I work in an assembly plant myself and the vin doesn't go on until late in the assembly process, long after its been painted. I would have thought that they would have just sent a new body throught the assembly process rather than repaint the existing. It's much cheaper in the long run. They would either wait until a car was needed in that color (provided it happenned early enough) or if it was too late in the process, or if a bad defect in the paint was dicscovered that wasn't easily repaired they would just scrap it out. (A shame though, I would love to get a REALLY cheap new vehicle with a defective paint job or wrong options). Anyway, it's neat to see when a mistake gets through, or at least that's what it appears to be.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat4spd View Post
She will look LOVELY in homo purple, Mike! And to think that all this time I thought you hated that color.
REALLY? Where'd that impression come from? Homo Purple is a term of endearment, It's probably my Favorite color in the 65 color chart. Iris Mist is the proper name for those not in the know, Evening Orchid in Chevyspeak and is a one yr color unless it was a special order paint.

Let's HOPE she hides the dirt well!

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM

As a side note, I'm going to have to get my ass in gear and get some other parts rounded up for this thing. Ron's way ahead of me in this process.

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's an iris mist '65 GP on the Minneapolis Craigslist right now. An Arizona car with a factory THREE speed. Needs restoration, but it's pretty tempting.