Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 02:41 AM
Suspended

Default 1967 428 ci Block vin and block installation Date in Vehicle

I am painting my engine block and have uncovered the Block Vin and Block installation Date. I think

the block installation date installed into a Vehicle would be the number in question here. How do

I read this Information. Inserting a photo of the location of both that and the vin number. Also I

made a clear drawing so there won't be any confusion, if the photo image is not suitable. I bought

the 1967 Pontiac 428 ci that is installed in a 1979 Pontiac TA, as a second hand project so I don't

no what the original Vehicle the motor belongs with. Please help me decode this mystery , It's been

7 years trying to figure it out. The number in the upper left corner is upside down why? Sideways

"P" means what? Block EUN upper right is understandable # 538897. YK code is Automatic 4bbl. Block

cast date code is D127 April 12 1967. Block 428 ci is # 9786135 . My research tells me that there

are 1024 YK code 428 ci HO Pontiac engines produced in 1967.They are designated as Special

Equipment and I want to no why?Now I pulled out recently a very worn out cam # 524886.This motor

has Tri-power Rochester carbs. I want to no if any body else that has the YK code ever pulled out a

cam like the one I pulled. This cam is known as a Tri-power exclusive cam from the factory.

Question is : Special Edition Mean, in my case # 524886 cam, Tri-power carbs. , y-branch exhaust

manifolds.We no that Pontiac stopped putting Tri-power on all but Corvetts and Corvair at some

time. We no that Tri-power was not offered in 1967.So mine is a 1966 intake and GTO carbs. with a

TH 400 Automatic Trans. The cam is 50's -60's and the carbs. are 65-66. All I can say is that I

have speculated on this for years but I have no proof , so I will leave it up to the forum for now

thank you in advance .Michael.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Photo  4.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	572365   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Photo  5.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	572364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Photo 1.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	572363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block vin.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	572362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Block Vin Drawing  2.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	572361  

Old 09-03-2021, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 428 was a optional motor above the baseline 400 motors in the B body cars and in 67 could be had in both 2 bbl and 4 bbl versions in the B body Catalina model.

The optional 428 HO motor came with the 068 cam which as used in tripower motors in previous years.

The 428 HO motors with a 4 speed behind them also had a special valve spring package.

The HO motor also had the high performance long branch Exh Manifolds.

The HO motors also had 4 bolt Armasteel main caps.

Pontiac did not make the Corrvette nor the Corvair so I have no idea what your taking about with that other then it's true that Chevy with the 427 motor kept the tripower thing going thru 1969.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 09:49 PM
Suspended

The 428 HO motors with a 4 speed behind them also had a special valve spring package. ANS: to this: Mine is automatic PC code TH 400. YK means automatic 4bbl most of the time or so I have red. I have dual springs 670 D -port Heads. . How do the manual vs auto springs differ? ANS. 2 Pontiac did not make the Corrvette nor the Corvair so I have no idea what your taking about with that other then it's true that Chevy with the 427 motor kept the tripower thing going thru 1969. GM stopped all Divisions in 1967 from using Tri-power so I red.Called an "edict".

Old 09-25-2021, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
The 428 HO motors with a 4 speed behind them also had a special valve spring package. ANS: to this: Mine is automatic PC code TH 400. YK means automatic 4bbl most of the time or so I have red. I have dual springs 670 D -port Heads. . How do the manual vs auto springs differ? ANS. 2 Pontiac did not make the Corrvette nor the Corvair so I have no idea what your taking about with that other then it's true that Chevy with the 427 motor kept the tripower thing going thru 1969. GM stopped all Divisions in 1967 from using Tri-power so I red.Called an "edict".
When GM issued an "Edict", Pontiac, unlike Chevrolet, Oldsmobile and to some extent, Buick, followed the rules. Chevrolet completely ignored them, and it seems Oldsmobile was generally slow to respond. An example would be the Oldsmobile 3x2 barrel engines they ran through 1967 and the Chevy stuff through 1969.

Old 09-03-2021, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most likely;

1967 Late model Bonneville 428 HO with the TH400 coded "PC" Towing package and 3:42:1 posi rear.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:00 PM
Suspended

1967 Late model Bonneville 428 HO with the TH 400 coded "PC" Towing package and 3:42:1 posi rear. Mikes ans. to this : Since I have an automatic 1967 TH 400 behind this 1967 428 ci YK Block , "are you saying that "PC" also Means Towing package and 3:42:1 posi rear end in all vehicles receiving automatic Trans. carrying the "PC" designation ?

Old 09-03-2021, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
All I can say is that I have speculated on this for years but I have no proof , so I will leave it up to the forum for now

Proof of? What is it that you are speculating?

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
Old 09-03-2021, 10:11 PM
Suspended

Proof of? What is it that you are speculating? Mikes ans. to this: Speculate, form a theory or conjecture about a subject with out firm evidence. So in my case I speculated that the upside down numbers" 2288" that appear in the upper left hand corner area are The date that this engine was installed in a new vehicle? Since I am not sure I can only Speculate about the meaning of these numbers . So I am asking the forum to give me factual data on the subject so I won't have to speculate any longer .

Old 09-03-2021, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can Mike post a picture so we can see what id is stamped on the cam?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 09-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Suspended

Can Mike post a picture so we can see what id is stamped on the cam? Mikes ans. to this: There are Photo's all ready posted of the Block number in question . Now, the cam is #524886 that I pulled out . All the identifiers were on the cam and I don't have that info. handy , however I did keep that used cam .I do have the info. from the past when I took notes . Do you have a special interest in viewing the actual cam , because I can all ways dig it out If you think reason enough. Thanks Mike .

Old 09-19-2021, 09:50 PM
Senior Chief

I have no information about whether and how Royal might have stamped engines they transplanted or modified in customer vehicles, but I did have an engine that was blueprinted by George DeLorean’s Leader Automotive which was the continuation of Royal’s high performance service department. They did stamp the block in the same location with the name LEADER and the service ticket number. Nothing else. I can’t say how Royal did it, but might have been similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93E85320-7E4B-4B01-A372-FCFCE0FA7CEC.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	573427  

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 09-19-2021, 11:09 PM
Suspended

GOOD INFO. THANK YOU, MIKE

Old 09-20-2021, 12:22 PM
Suspended

We have one Motor Block photo that shows a shop will stamp the Engine Block after they work on the Block . Lets see were the trail ends up. Not that my Motor is special but I want to see more Block Stamps to compare mine to . When we find the upside down Stamp in the same place as mine we may have a clue to who performed the work on my Engine. Perhaps I don't find a match but it's worth a try. By the way I have never removed the Heads off this motor, I can believe she has 10.75:1 CR from the factory . My roommate said "the man I bought the vehicle from changed the upper Head gasket when he replaced the timing Gear and chain, the Head Gasket looked to fresh to be 50 years old". The man I bought the vehicle from said "the motor is stock". However, how stock is the question? We already know the cam and Tri-power is "not" stock. I myself installed Johnson Lifters and 16 Chromemolly HD Push Rods. This is the second new Timing gear set, with more adjustment then the first one.The first set only had 7,000 miles on it when I just replaced it. I installed the "041" cam after the original Cam proved faulty. Then we added Air Induction. So you can say this Engine has a light build on it. I added a new Oil Pump and Oil Pan too. Under the Valve Covers I added the Oil Drip Rails,a stock part plus the new 7/16" Screw in Studs with Nuts and Washers. I use MSD Ignition and Headers. Tri-power carbs. are Rebuilt and up jetted. New Power Piston and Power Valve. Filter Screens in the carb. Bowl area . I added discharge tube Anti- Peculation vented device with holes and AC vent Valve in the carbs . I forget the the exact names of them. The bottom end is strong with the 4 bolt mains and when we changed the Oil Pan the Stock Crank was Armor- steel. Since I have not removed the Heads I would not know if the Exhaust valve Seats were replaced. When I replaced the old warn out Cam I found a cracked nut on # 1 rocker arm Stud. I bent 2 push Rods, one after the other, while Testing and Tuning before I Found out why the stock push rods were bending at 130 miles per hour. We are painting the Engine , Engine compartment ,Trans.,Gear Vendors and under the Body . We also Painted the Brake Calipers and Wheel Wells. I have to install the Wire loom and finish the Engine compartment Electrical wiring Professionally. We have the new rear Brake lines and a Proportioning valve on its way. Soon I will install the new Torque Converter.We are replacing carb. Gaskets and I am thinking how to finish the Tri-power Carbs . It seems that just keeping up with this project as I drive it keeps me from finishing the project. I have all the Options available installed on this vehicle but the Cruise Control. Even that is painted and ready to be installed ,some day, if I ever get there. Then there is the wish list. Michael out.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:37 PM
Senior Chief

I might not have worded that well. MIKE will never convince anyone it was factory assembled. I was agreeing with you.

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 09-25-2021, 01:06 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekuhn View Post
I have no information about whether and how Royal might have stamped engines they transplanted or modified in customer vehicles, but I did have an engine that was blueprinted by George DeLorean’s Leader Automotive which was the continuation of Royal’s high performance service department. They did stamp the block in the same location with the name LEADER and the service ticket number. Nothing else. I can’t say how Royal did it, but might have been similar.
Tradermike wants to know why the stamped Vin numbers are not aligned on your photo? Why the code letters are off set ? Who stamped this Block and what Engine is this and what year is it . Is this a "factory" code and EUN number?

Old 09-03-2021, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is block still standard bore? I usually see numbers like the 2288 from machine shops that stamp a numeric control number on blocks and heads to identify them as they move through the shop. The Tri-Power and cam would also indicate that the engine has been worked over sometime in its life.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:00 PM
Suspended

Is block still standard bore? I usually see numbers like the 2288 from machine shops that stamp a numeric control number on blocks and heads to identify them as they move through the shop. The Tri-Power and cam would also indicate that the engine has been worked over sometime in its life. Mikes ans. to this , note it is better for me to copy and paste the answer to a question to have it in front of my face , so I can reply faster to each persons post. You are the second one to have that view. How do I no If the Pontiac employee himself stamped the Block. Also is the upper top left hand corner a place in 1967 that got stamped at all . Also were is the designated place to stamp the motor for the vehicle it was to go into in 1967? Since my Block Has the EUN # and not the vin as some one stated ,then how do we no if this particular 428 was ever installed in any vehicle? As for the bore , I think the former owner might have changed the Head gaskets because they look to fresh not to have been replaced. I no he put a new timing gear set and chain and oil pan gaskets. So the answer is I don't no if this has been bored or touched. The man I bought this car and engine said the motor is Stock. That answer is so vague that I never under stood what he meant . Stock, now means he changed a few gaskets ran it and put it in a 1979 Pontiac TA and never started it after that . He never finished the project so I took over and put a "041" cam , Johnson lifters , HD push rods chrome molly , oil pump and rebuilt the Tri-powers. And everything else .The story he was told that moon shiners in the Caroline- rs ran the 428 ci Pontiac engine in a truck and went over the edge of a cliff and the motor was retrieved and then sold to my friend. Who knows could have Nascar Provenance ?

Old 10-14-2021, 06:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys have tried to give you your answer but you refuse to listen. Maybe quit the search to prove what you are hoping to find and follow the evidence instead?

What I see is someone who wants information that does not exist and will reward for doing so. NOT HOW THE FORUMS WORK. sorry caps got stuck but I am 64 and expect a lot...

Old 10-14-2021, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH0911-11...-royal-bobcat/

1968 428 4V documented no mention of other options but maybe just maybe.

https://www.racingjunk.com/news/boss...al-bobcat-gto/

Old 10-14-2021, 09:18 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@blo View Post
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CH0911-11...-royal-bobcat/

1968 428 4V documented no mention of other options but maybe just maybe.

https://www.racingjunk.com/news/boss...al-bobcat-gto/
Cool car. From the first engine view, you can see the normal engine numbers and block code on the machined pad. They are not clear enough to read, but you can certainly see they are there. On the other side of the pad, there does not appear to be any stampings.

Closed Thread