Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dave, I am going to go with the Mayfair Maze and black roof that is was originally but I am just going to leave the roof painted instead of the vinyl. I am going mostly stock options on this one with little modifications I can change back to original if wanted. The only major change planned is a 200-4r and torque thrust wheels but I am undecided on the size. Pat

Old 01-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Senior Chief

Pontiacdaver and Mike,

Yeah, the whole country is experiencing the fun of the real estate market, but it is my understanding that it is hitting a few states (California, Florida, and New York for example) the hardest based on the perceentage in value lost. It's really crashed in my neck. As for lot sizes, I've got some family in the midwest and the south, and it's amazing. They could have fifty old cars on their property, and it would be hard even for a neighbor to know they were there unless he came over to visit. Man that would be nice!

I used to live in Oregon (I lived in Springfield, in downtown Portland, and in Tualatin). Still kind of miss it. And I lived in Washington for a few years at my Uncle Sam's place (Fort Lewis) while in the Army. In both states, you could buy a lot more with a lot less than in Southern Californiastan. But gosh, when I've gone to visit kin in Texas, or Oklahoma, or Louisiana, or Iowa, shoot. You can get some serious chunks of land out them ways.

Three cars is my max. Two in the garage, and one parked on the driveway outside. I wouldn't want to chance keeping a car on the street where I live. Maybe overnight, but not for a real stretch. And there's no way I could get a car in the backyard unless I had a crane (due to the walls and the narrow gates).

But dang, I see these great deals on old cars all the time, and it just .... hurts me to have to pass on them.

Maybe I should look for an old crane to buy?

Old 01-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Michaeld,

Ironic isn't it? You live where rustfree cars are cheap, but have no place to keep them. We have the space, but here rustfree means "rust free with purchase of car". Oh well, I guess there's good and bad things about wherever you live.

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 01-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Prix
Dave, I am going to go with the Mayfair Maze and black roof that is was originally but I am just going to leave the roof painted instead of the vinyl. I am going mostly stock options on this one with little modifications I can change back to original if wanted. The only major change planned is a 200-4r and torque thrust wheels but I am undecided on the size. Pat
That sounds cool Pat, the painted tops are better looking, and less rust prone.
I was thinking of going to a painted top as well, although I lean towards deleting it completely, to me the 68s look so much cleaner without the top trim. I am also thinking of painting it my favorite 68 color, Aleutian Blue, it should look nice with the Parchment interior.
Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 01-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver
That sounds cool Pat, the painted tops are better looking, and less rust prone.
I was thinking of going to a painted top as well, although I lean towards deleting it completely, to me the 68s look so much cleaner without the top trim. I am also thinking of painting it my favorite 68 color, Aleutian Blue, it should look nice with the Parchment interior.
Dave

Your paln is similiar to mine. I'm painting my 68 Cat Vert its original Aleutian blue, which in person, is a really cool color. Instead of leaving my interior all Medium Blue like it was originally, its gonna be two-tone parchment/med blue. Have pics of metal work on car in bodywork section. Good luck!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver
Michaeld,

Ironic isn't it? You live where rustfree cars are cheap, but have no place to keep them. We have the space, but here rustfree means "rust free with purchase of car". Oh well, I guess there's good and bad things about wherever you live.

Dave
In the local section of my paper today, there is an article honoring a code enforcement officer named Caleb Enriquez. The article begins thusly:

"Improving Riverside one house at a time.

That's the motto of Caleb Enriquez, who was recently honored as runner-up for the American Association of Code Enforcement's officer of the year.

While most code officers are making sure properties don't become overgrown with weeds and inoperable vehicles aren't stranded in the middle of yards..."

Damnable busybodies, I say!!!

Yes, your observation is pregnant (as well as fat, ugly, whiny, complainy, and mood-swingy) with irony. Dang it, why can't we line up our "rust free cars" with our available space to hold on to said rust free cars?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dave- I deleted the vinyl on my original GP and painted it early 90s Medium Green Metallic. I did like the way it looked, even with no fender skirts. The car was a work in progress until I decided to buy this new replacement putting the old car to parts car. I wish I could save it but with a week frame and whole back half needing to be redone it just does not make much sense. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gp0009.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	119014  

Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I figured I would make an update. The new engine harness came yesterday from PY. I should have ordered one of these months ago. I had major electrical problems after changing the dash harness. The problems seem all solved except for me forgetting where the power windows plug in. I will have to look at the under dash harness again to make sure I routed it correctly. I am highly recommending a new harness if any electrical problems exist. I have no idea how this car did not burn up or how anything was working. Someone seems to have re-invented the whole system. Getting ready for the convention, and the summer fun. Pat