Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2020, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce
Default 067 or 068 Cam in stock 350...Rhoads lifters?

Some of you may remember I've been helping out a friend with his build and sent him an old (late style) P4B manifold to replace the 2bbl setup on his factory stock 72 Lemans 350.

He scored a carb recently and set about to swap the intake and carb this weekend. In doing so he pulled the valley pan as it had been leaking as well. Inspection revealed one lifter that had started to mushroom. The face had not gone concave, but the lifter edges were showing signs of distortion and there was some slight marring on the cam lobe. Fortunately he caught this now before it became a much more expensive issue.

Anyhow, long story short, I can't let him put it back together like that, so I'm helping him out with a cam and lifter set.

Had been thinking about the 067 even possibly an 068, but I think that's just too much for the low comp engine. My wonder however is the use of rhoads lifters to help out.

Thoughts? His car is still in the driveway torn apart, so I'd like to get parts to him ASAP.

Car is a 72 Luxury LeMans, stock engine with about 53K miles on it. Not in the cards right now to change springs, so I'm only looking at factory cams that can go in right away and get him moving again.

The car does have a 700r4 in it, so he's got that steep first gear in it to help out with some loss in low end with a slightly larger cam than the 555 that's in there.

The other thread kind of got off topic with varying opinions on these cams, so I'm open to any suggestions. The goal is just a bit more power from the 350, but being able to maintain good manners.