Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-13-2021, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front Drivers Side Brake Line Replacement Question

Hi

I have a 69 gto and need to replace the brake line that comes off the proportion valve located down off the frame. Right next to the header, lol. Its for drivers SIDE.

I went to Napa and bought the 3/16 12" line which is probably too short and the other line is 20".

My question is will the existing fittings that are on the NEW line actually work? I see one is "shorter" than the other, I assume short one is meant for prop valve?

Part : https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_8...pressionRank=1

Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	577695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	577696  

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 11-13-2021, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_blake View Post
Hi

I have a 69 gto and need to replace the brake line that comes off the proportion valve located down off the frame. Right next to the header, lol. Its for drivers SIDE.

I went to Napa and bought the 3/16 12" line which is probably too short and the other line is 20".

My question is will the existing fittings that are on the NEW line actually work? I see one is "shorter" than the other, I assume short one is meant for prop valve?

Part : https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_8...pressionRank=1

Thanks guys.
FWIW, yes you can use the fittings on the premade line, but they may not be the right sizes.

Assuming they aren't all rounded off from trying to remove them I try to save the old fittings, and make my own lines. I reuse them frequently because hunting down all the special sized fittings, or adapters at a parts store can be frustrating at best. I always take pains too preserve the specialized size ones. The OEM used some weird sizes of fittings.

Making your own lines requires you to have a double flare flaring tool. so if you don't have one, you'll need to buy, rent, or borrow one.

I wouldn't use the mild steel, premade lines from a parts store. Get some of the Nicopp line and make your own. they'll fit better, can be very easily bent, and you never have to worry about corrosion, not that you'll be driving your GTO in the winter, but for everyday drivers, the line will outlast the car.

About 12 years ago I bought a 93 K3500 that the rear line had just been replaced by the guy I bought the truck from had replaced them when he put it up for sale. In 4 years the lines he purchased from the NAPA store were rusted through. I elected to replace all the lines on the truck with Nicopp line so I never have to mess with corroded brake lines again.

BTW, it flares really easy, same as it bends around corners, a little expensive, but worth it for the ease of working with it, especially if you're plumbing the whole chassis.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-13-2021, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for your response. I do bet the prop valve fitting is nothing like this one. That's my guess. Right on thanks again!

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane