THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:28 AM

Heat definately has an effect on the longevity of LEDs and CFMs, if you are blowing through them it might have something to do with the fixture or wiring. Once or twice getting a bad one I can see, but if it's happening that much I'd consider what else could cause short life.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No problems here. I've been doing the same thing, changing them out as the incandescents go. Haven't lost one yet.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
You can't get 15 years out of a new refrigerator. Foolish to think you're going to get that out of a bulb.
Ya, well, I'd be happy to get 15 MONTHS out of my light bulbs. Duh! I'm not that naive to think I'd actually get 15 years but that's what the packaging says.
Don't get me started about the varying brightness of these things. I just replaced the four bulbs in one ceiling fan fixture. Of course the new candelabra style leds were packed in three, so had to buy 2 packs both labelled the same. First package fine and bright. One of next pack much more yellow. Argh!
Welcome to my world lol.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
You can't get 15 years out of a new refrigerator. Foolish to think you're going to get that out of a bulb.
Oddly enough, I have a "Crosley Shelvador" refrigerator that was made in 1950, still ticking like a watch in my garage! It sits beside freezer #3 over the last 25 or so years!

68 GTO
Old 10-30-2020, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Switched over entire house, garage, and 3 outside double flood lamps......cant remember how many years ago. Was whenever they 1st became available at Costco. Haven't had any fail yet.
My daughter all ready had 1 or 2 fail from Menards after 1 yr.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-30-2020, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a facility manager and I change lights almost every day.
I'm not an electrician or a scientist, or an expert, but i can tell you that non dimmable bulbs don't always work right when used with a dimmer switch, even when the dimmer switch is turned to full power.
i havnt had any LED lights fail, most of the time it's the wrong bulb for the app.

On the other hand, the failure rate of the newer fluorescents , T5's & T8's is unbelievable, and they seem to take the ballasts with them. T12's are still good.

The LED's have colors, just like fluorescents, warm white, sunlight, bright white.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:52 PM

I'm becoming convinced it's my Menards bulbs.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been slowly replacing burned out incandescent bulbs with LED's. Most seem to last 2-3 years. I like that they don't get too hot in operation. My shop has a dozen 8' LED fixtures. Very bright, clean light. No failures in 4 years. Non-serviceable fixtures.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been installing LED's for years with very few failures in our contracting business. Installed 8' led lights in my home shop. Nice bright light, looks like daylight in there at night. Draw about 80w per fixture putting out 8200 lumens. That's a ton of light and cheap to operate.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:15 PM

My beef that has my tighty-whities in a knot is with household bulbs.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:28 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 433lemans View Post
My beef that has my tighty-whities in a knot is with household bulbs.
Besides TMI...…. That right there has got to be the post of the day. Signature worthy I say.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:30 PM

LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to 433lemans For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The screw in ones don't seem to last, but all the 4' ones I put in the garage with the exception of one are going strong. The one that's failing still has 7/8 of the tube lit.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 10-30-2020, 09:33 PM
Senior Chief

Every bulb in my home is a LED. The screw in 60w replacements that I purchased from Costco are very good. The first 3”recessed lights in my kitchen all failed, 9 bulbs in a year. I purchased a better quality replacement bulb and only have had one failure in 8 years. Same thing with the LED Edison bulbs. I put a led compatible dimmer and they still would start blinking after a few months. Changed to a better quality bulb and only one has failed.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:41 PM
Suspended

Check the voltage at the service entrance.. You might have a bad connection at the neutral creating a back feed of over 150 volts to every three wire (two hots 240 v and one neutral) circuit in that house.. Make sure you check both sides of the circuit..

Old 10-31-2020, 07:32 PM

my local Habitat store had them for sale over a year ago for 99 cents for a pack of 4.. Lots of different sizes, for lamps, cans, etc. MaxLite brand. I replaced all bulbs in my house and garage (86 bulbs) and havent had to replace any yet. They don't work well with a dimmer but that's not a big deal for me. I still have regular bulbs in one 4 light fixture that uses a dimmer and I have to replace one about every two months.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Changed out all the bulbs in my house, garage and detached garage 4-5 years ago with LEDs. Have not had to replace any. If memory serves me correct they were GE.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get this guys. We moved here in 1989. The previous owner had installed a switched light under the eave of the house to light up the back yard. It has a cast housing and removable glass lens. The bulb is just like the old halogen work lights that put off so much heat, and fail on a regular basis, but only when needed the most.
This light has stayed on for days at a time, and always when we are away on vacation.
I have never opened it because it still has the same bulb in it. It must have thousands of hours on it. I also have an old mercury vapor light on a pole that is sensor activated and burns every night. That bulb is probably 20 years old.

Old 10-31-2020, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Huge waste that LED's , in general, present.
At their smaller wattage usage they should be quite a bit cooler than a incandescent bulb. NOT!.
All LED are a DC voltage diode. So each bulb has a 10:1 step down transformer, a 4 way bridge rectifier, and a condensor/ capacitor to get to a steady roughly 5 volts. This reduction causes HEAT!
If you have solar, you convert solar DC to AC, and back to DC to run LED's.
The tiny ac/dc converter in the bulbs is almost always a quality issue and cause for failure.
If houses has very low current 5 volt DC wiring ABOVE 4 feet in each room bulbs would NOT be hot, and never burn out.
There are LED'S in space that live at -400 degrees oF. They run on DC.
Some LED you could put in an easy bake oven!. The whole premise was to save energy, there is MUCH more to be saved.