THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A huge thanks to all that have responded, You can always count on the people on PY when prayers are needed, always a great response. Really great, solid people on this board.

I'm going to call the hospital this AM to see if they have any further news. Then I'm gonna do some car maintenance and get on the road, either today, or tomorrow. I have a few things I need to get done around the house before I leave. I'll see how the car looks from underneath before I take off do an oil change, check the tires, and fluids before I head out.

Gonna drive the 99 GP that was originally a Mary Kay car (yes it's pale pink, most times it looks white), that I inherited when my mom quit driving. Only 126,000 on it, The lowest mileage vehicle in my fleet. It has the 3.1 and gets around 30 MPG on the road so it will be easy on fuel. I want to be able to get around when I get there, so I didn't want to fly out there.

I'm taking the laptop with me so I can keep everyone updated on her condition, hopefully it will be a recovery, and then to rehab, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking she has an easy road. The facts don't support that.

Thanks again everyone for the support, I really needed it in this situation, I'll keep you informed.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-30-2020, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope she see's 100 and more. Be safe. Sounds like she has had a great independent run so far.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hope she gets good care, is not suffering, and recovers quickly. Best wishes to you and all in your family.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have you and your mother in my prayers.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:39 PM

Thoughts and prayers to you all Brad...

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 11-01-2020, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Staying in Rolla MO tonight, expect to be in Scottsdale Monday afternoon. Docs told me yesterday there was a slight improvement in her conditions on Friday. She is still very weak.

Again, thank you all for the prayers.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 11-01-2020, 12:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Docs told me yesterday there was a slight improvement in her conditions on Friday.
That's great news, shell be tickled to see you!

Tell her we all said hi, get rest an be safe!

Frank

Old 11-01-2020, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kinda fun that you're visiting her driving her pink car. 👍
Be safe, keep us posted.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 11-02-2020, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"It's not pink, it's Arizona Sunset", at least that's what the salesman told my parents back in 2000...........

Tonight in Amarillo TX, tomorrow is going to be a long haul to make it to Phoenix. One nice thing is the speed limit is 75 out here, no one bats an eye at 80. I just set the cruise on 80, and the miles get eaten up rather quickly, no small towns and such to slow you down along the interstates. The bigger towns I'm hitting on the weekend so virtually no traffic.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 11-03-2020, 10:53 AM
Senior Chief

Prayers offered for your mom, and for your safe journey. All things are in God's hands.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I arrived here Monday night about 8 PM. I'll be allowed to see my mother Tuesday afternoon, doctors are supposed to update me on Tuesday.

I was able to talk to her on the phone Monday evening, she sounded weak, and she told me she was confused about why she was in the hospital.

My cousin was able to see her Monday afternoon, said she was slightly better from last week.

Thank you all again for the prayers, it's much appreciated.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 11-03-2020, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Prayers for your Mom.

My Mom passed March 31st. She was in a nursing home with advanced dementia and got pneumonia. My wife or I fed her supper most nights until the damn pandemic hit, then suddenly we couldn't see her. Nobody could visit her the last three weeks, which was brutal, if I'm honest.

Best wishes, travel safe and love on her a bit.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:44 PM

Prayers offered Brad. Please update us when you can.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They only allow 1 visitor so I'm the person allowed at this time, I spent over 4 hours with her yesterday afternoon, talked to the doctor for awhile about her current ailments.

The events happened as follows near as they can figure out. She was bleeding from hemorrhoids for a few weeks depleting her blood supply. Evidently she isn't able to replenish her blood supply as needed and her blood cell counts dropped to the point she almost passed out in the dining hall. The called the squad to transport her to ER, where they did blood work and found the low levels of blood components.

At that point they gave her blood, and she improved enough to be sent to a rehab center to regain strength. After about 3 days they sent her back to the hospital as her blood was dropping again. The second time they deduced that her body isn't making blood as it should, but she has also contacted C-diff due to her low immunity levels.

She has colitis of small and large intestines, and infection in her stomach from the bacteria. This causes her not to be able to eat solid foods as she gets nauseous, sometimes vomiting. They are hoping that when and if they get the C-diff under control the blood manufacturing will right itself, but of course no one knows this for sure one way or the other.

She also told me yesterday that her vision is getting worse, I assume that all the trauma her body has experienced that it would affect her vision, but I never addressed it with the doc because I didn't learn of it until after the doctors had left, I will address it today.

Mom is in good spirits considering the level of her illness. She has had a remarkable run of good health and isn't used to being ill such as this. She is making steady progress, but is impatient and doesn't like being confined to bed.

All in all, we had a good visit yesterday, she's making slow progress so as everyone has been doing, keep my mom in your prayers. I told her I had mentioned a prayer request on PY, and she is thankful for the prayers, she says she needs them.......

I'll keep the PY members updated on progress, but know she appreciates the prayers and it seems that prayer is working at this point to move the needle the right way.

Many thanks from our family, to all that have taken up the cause...... It's much appreciated!!!

1984 Grand Prix

Old 11-04-2020, 03:06 PM

Your Mom has myeloproliferative syndrome, a gradual failure of the bone marrow most commonly due to old age. There is no cure but transfusions can prolong life if indicated. In your Mom's case her kidneys and colon are failing also. That is known as multi-organ failure and is generally a gentle spiral at the end of life. Sad, but not typically painful. We can't live forever. Think of all the wonders she has seen in her 99 years and cherish the memories of times together when she is gone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbobeast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 08:01 PM

Prayers for you and your mom. Stay safe. Lost my mother in law this year at 96.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:06 PM

I get on here every few weeks so I spend a lot of time catching up. Prayers have been lifted to heaven’s throne room for your mom. May God grant her His peace in her current situation. May His power and grace sustain her till He calls her home. Prayers for your family, also while you attend to her. A good life is not measured by the years, but by our love and service to others.

GT

The Following User Says Thank You to TAGTOboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2020, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Update from her doctors is, that her kidney function has returned, The C-diff while not easily defeated, has come down in count, her bladder has urine in it, according to the scan they did just before I left the hospital. C-diff is what finally took my fathers life, it can be a death sentence for anyone with a compromised immune system.

I talked with the doctor this afternoon, and there is a drug that they can try to stimulate the bone marrow to start again producing the blood components. Of course there are no guarantees it will work, it is worth a shot.

Jimbobeast, I know you're a doctor, and I'm not disregarding your assessment at all. My wife is an RN and has cautioned me that the odds are against her full recovery from the bone marrow issue, as well as the body getting tired just from sheer aging.

It would probably be a miracle if the bone marrow started functioning again, but God is the only entity that can perform miracles. If God decides to call her home, I'm fine with that. We are not in charge of our destiny, he is. Whatever his will is, I, nor anyone else can change it. In the end The Father will decide how, and when things will happen.

99 years is a long life, and she has seen a lot of change in the US. She has raised me, and I think she, and my dad did a pretty good job setting good examples for me, as I grew up. She's been to China because it was her lifelong ambitions to see the Great Wall of China, she lived through the great depression. A very full life, and she has seen many things.

If prayers are the way to miracles, then we are in her corner, Again, I thank all of the people that have responded to this thread.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 11-06-2020, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Updating this thread again:

I have a family meeting with 2 of the docs from the hospital tomorrow at 11:00 AM. There is mild improvement each day, which is good, but I'm not disillusioned that all is good. The main problem is still the bone marrow is not producing as it should, all the bleeding has stopped, but the platelet count is only mildly improving.

If the medication to stimulate the bone marrow production of blood does not work, and my wife also tells me that that medication is pretty harsh to the body, there is little hope of recovery.

There was a mention of hospice today so we shall see how the meeting tomorrow goes.

Prayers are appreciated, thank you for your consideration.

The Yost family.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 11-06-2020, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hang in there and spend as much time as you can with her if she is up to it. I lost both my parents over a 2 year period and I was in OH and they were both in San Diego. Being able to spend some extended time with them was something I am very glad I was able to do. My dad was still really sharp and drove my siblings and I to dinner at night 2 weeks before he passed. He was 92. So like you have said, your mom has lived a great life so far and could possibly rally. I am sure she loves having family near.