Old 10-03-2020, 11:48 AM
Senior Chief

Default '64 Cowl Tag

Hello,

I'd like to get some feedback on this cowl tag from a '64 GTO I'm interested in.
What's with all those ampersands (&) displayed on this tag? I've never seen anything like it.

Thanks a lot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6191.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	550802  

Old 10-03-2020, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting tag!

Off-hand, I'd say the operator flipped the wrong thing '&' instead of what it had or just a 'blank space' on the setup?

Does your car have any items that should have been stamped on it?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks to me that there were codes stamped originally and the ampersands were stamped over the top to "x" them out, so to speak.

I've never seen anything like that either. I've seen "& " designating special paint but nothing like this.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 10-03-2020, 03:19 PM
Senior Chief

It's not my car, it's a car for sale. As of yet, I haven't seen it in person.

I too have read that "&" can designate a special paint color but never a long string of these.

Maybe the plant re-used this tag that was originally slated for another car (like Keith has suggested).

Old 10-04-2020, 09:49 AM
Boost Engineer

Maybe the guy who screwed up the 3 Kansas City cowl tags from '64 GTOs,
(mine being one of them), got transferred to the Pontiac Plant doing the same work.

JUST KIDDING. I have never seen a Pontiac, Baltimore, Kansas City, or Fremont data plate (in my lifetime), that ever looked like that.

Appears that they took a regular plate, "&" out the valid info, and added the 5N to make it appear as a GTO for sales purposes. One thing to leave a code off the plate, another to
add info after the fact when the data plate was already created. Maybe John V has seen something like this in the past.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.