THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-02-2020, 04:57 PM
Senior Chief

Default Some Neat Automotive & Hurst Items

Found some pretty cool Hurst items on this site.

I called the number and got a recording from someone named Jason, who I suspect might be Doc Watson's son, but I'm not positive.

Some great car stuff available, and here are a few examples:

https://itsjustcrazy.com/index.php/p...-to-pontiac-2/
https://itsjustcrazy.com/index.php/p...iftin-gears-2/
https://itsjustcrazy.com/index.php/product/docs-desk-2/

Harvey

Old 10-03-2020, 01:27 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Doc Watson? To me that means great singin' and flat top guitar pickin'. No?

Old 10-03-2020, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking DOC WATSON, AKA "The Shifty Doctor"

Old 10-03-2020, 09:10 AM
Senior Chief

Default Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Doc Watson? To me that means great singin' and flat top guitar pickin'. No?

The Shifty Doc. Long and involved history with Hurst Performance, Hurst/Olds, Jaws of Life...

Old 10-03-2020, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's all cool stuff Harvey!

Old 10-03-2020, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This may be the first reference of a factory collaboration between Pontiac and Hurst - a Hurst shifter was available as a dealer installed option in the middle of the 1961 model year for three speed transmissions.

Old 10-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed, I thought I had a ad from '59 but don't.

Old 10-03-2020, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to this write up, through his deal with Pontiac, the '61 Super Duty Catalina received some of the first production shifters.

https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-his...-olds-history/

I've been a huge fan of his accomplishments for several decades. So much so, that during the early 80's he and I were in contact about me possibly joining in on his last venture, George Hurst Transmissions. I won't go into all of the details, but it was a departure from manual transmissions to GM automatics. I've saved the letters I got from him during those talks.
From what I was told by one of his associates at the time, a deal with Sunbeam Electric led to his eventual demise.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Senior Chief

Default Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
According to this write up, through his deal with Pontiac, the '61 Super Duty Catalina received some of the first production shifters.

I've been a huge fan of his accomplishments for several decades. So much so, that during the early 80's he and I were in contact about me possibly joining in on his last venture, George Hurst Transmissions. I won't go into all of the details, but it was a departure from manual transmissions to GM automatics. I've saved the letters I got from him during those talks.
From what I was told by one of his associates at the time, a deal with Sunbeam Electric led to his eventual demise.

Great link 400, and cool story about your involvement with Doc. I'd love to hear more about that collaboration if you're willing...
Harvey

Old 10-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post

Yes, when George asked Bill Campbell to resign, he did and shortly after in 1969,Bill sold his shares to Singer corp. which led to George being forced out. He left Hurst ,I think in 1971.

G. Hurst started his company alone. He hired Bill Campbell part time to design jigs and quallity to mass produce his engine swap components. He offered a partnership around 1958 or 59.

Hurst did not open the Warminster plant until 1965. he was previously working out of 3 or 4 garages in Glenside, Pa. Before that he was working out of his garage in Abington,Pa.

The first "Miss Hurst was not Linda Vaughn., it was Pat Flannery. She only lasted in that role for about 1 1/2 years.

Singer sold the company to "Mr. Gasket" and moved the company to Ohio in late 80's. The building is still there only 5 minutes from my house. It now houses a company called H&H plastics. Ironic that Hurst used H/H for the logo for Hurst Hatches.

I still live in Warminster as did I during my teenage years. Previousy I lived in Willow Grove,Pa. near the Willow Grove air base where George was stationed.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still have this grease tube I bought when I was a teenager, driving my 67 GTO convertible.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	551300

Old 10-12-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Neat stuff Harvey, you buying them?

Old 10-12-2020, 03:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default Hurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrat1 View Post
Neat stuff Harvey, you buying them?

Trying to buy a couple of items but I'm getting no return calls or emails to my questions. Not sure I want to drop $50 or $100 into a shopping cart with an online purchase and never see the items if nobody's minding that site...

Old 10-12-2020, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason Watson is the owner of the site and is "Doc" Watson's son. He's in his 50s now.

Here's his LinkedIn page

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jasonwat...0-1b34118b1e17

Looks like he took a software job in 2019 ending his own HP Media biz at the same time.

You could try contacting him thru the It's Just Crazy website or perhaps try the email address from this older resume page.

https://djwservices.itsjustcrazy.com.../jason-watson/

His last blog post on the site seems to be from May 2020 about Covid so I'm guessing stuff is still for sale but guessing the site isn't real active anymore.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:25 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhcarguy View Post
... sold his shares to Singer corp...
... air base where George was stationed...
Wikipedia says "... to Sunbeam...".
I wasn't aware of George being a veteran. Even when he formed the Hurst Armed Forces Club there was no mention of his own veteran status. Do you know any more about his military service?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Gifford For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Wikipedia says "... to Sunbeam...".
I wasn't aware of George being a veteran. Even when he formed the Hurst Armed Forces Club there was no mention of his own veteran status. Do you know any more about his military service?
Against his father's wishes, his mother signed the paperwork that he lied about his age. I think he was only 16 when he joined the Navy. he was stationed on an Aircraft carrier. He served ,I think, for 10 years. he got out when he was stationed at the Willow Grove Naval Air Station. He married a local girl and that is how he wound up in my area. When he was in the service at Willow Grove, he used to do engine and transmission swaps for officers and buddies.

Old 10-13-2020, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe George suffered burn injuries to his hands while on the deck of a carrier.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:07 AM

I was fortunate to have had both Linda Vaughn and Doc Watson sign the shifter plate of my Hurst Dual Gate shifter back in 2010 at a local area car show.. I know that is a memento that I will not soon part with.

Insanity is Hereditary!!! You Get It From Your Kids!!!
Old 10-14-2020, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSnowman View Post
I was fortunate to have had both Linda Vaughn and Doc Watson sign the shifter plate of my Hurst Dual Gate shifter back in 2010 at a local area car show.. I know that is a memento that I will not soon part with.
Yes ,that's true. I think his feet also

Old 10-14-2020, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSnowman View Post
Nice that you got Doc Watson's autograph. I wish I would have gotten G.Hurst's , Doc's, and Bill Campbell's back in the day.
I do have Jim Wangers signature on my headliner. Also on one of my tripower lids along with Linda's and Arnie's.