THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have to say that I've never experienced this problem, and I have three cars that I drive regularly, and I've never had a problem filling them. Certain pumps are configured differently, but it depends on where you are and has nothing to do with the car you are filling.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Never had a fill problem as described, but get a kick out of people every time I'm pumping gas into my 68. They'll stand there and watch me pump the gas, and are amazed the filler is behind the license plate!

68 GTO
The Following User Says Thank You to gtohunter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems no matter how slowly I try and fill the GTO..... it always spits back at me when full.......

Good thing....... NJ is last of the Full Service states .... not supposed to pump my own fuel, but the attendants know better...... they barely even acknowledge that I am even there and leave me alone......

400HO / TKX 3.27 1ST GEAR-.72OD / 3.36 POSI
HOTCHKIS/UMI/BILSTEIN
Old 10-13-2020, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The toughest part of putting gas in my 67 GTO...is getting back up

The Following User Says Thank You to MUSLCAH For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One would think a slide on extension for the fuel nozzle sealed with O rings would be the ticket here.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
The toughest part of putting gas in my 67 GTO...is getting back up
Period correct means you don't have to bend down?

Old 10-14-2020, 01:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What I remember is longer hoses and longer fatter necks on the gas pump nozzles where the handle would easily hang straight down and you weren't afraid to let go of the handle. Now it becomes a challenge to wedge the nozzle in sideways so the handle vent seals up and the gas begins to pump.

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Friend had a '72 GTO and purchased a new tank that had some sort of vent plate running the length of a very long filler neck. Pump would kick off if set on anything but the lowest notch and even then it would spit some gas and shut off about two dozen times filling the tank. he finally extracted the 2' tongue and things were a little better after that

What I really hate is being down low on the ground when the next car pulls in behind me because they definitely are not used to having a person kneeling behind their car. Really don't want to leave this world being crunched into my bumper.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry Nothing New...

Our Pontiacs left the factory as ass draggers to begin with, so the rear/low filler necks just plain sucked from day one.

I've just learned to stop the flow at around 16/18 gallons then slow the flow to full.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-26-2024 at 07:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Hamlin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 08:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default NJ gas pumps

Yes the NJ gas pumps are a pain. I agree its more the design of the dispenser nozzle.
My local exxon has the easiest nozzle to use at 1/2 flow though. heck most of the time i dump in the rest of my gas can whenever i topoff tractor and quads!!
Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
Old 10-14-2020, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
It is not just older cars. I have a 2019 GMC Sierra. It will not accept full throttle on the gas nozzle. I now just set it to the slowest nozzle latch on the truck and both of my 62 Pontiacs. Give it time to breath and it will fill the tank and shut off. Sometimes you have to try different rotations of the nozzle for them to work.
I had a 2012 Sierra and now a Denali, and both will not take full throttle fill until you get a couple gallons in it. After that they will take full throttle fill. I think when the fuel level is low and you are filling there are a lot of fumes are coming out as fuel goes in and trips the nozzle.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 10-14-2020, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
One would think a slide on extension for the fuel nozzle sealed with O rings would be the ticket here.
I was thinking about a permanently installed fixture but a removable extension might be easier. You might be onto something there.

I had been thinking about a conical shaped piece of molded rubber with the common OEM trap door built into it somehow. You would just hammer it into the upper filler neck at an interference fit. Put a lip on it so It cant go into the tank. I was also thinking like my GFs Buick doesnt even have a cap anymore. You could probably make the end replace the cap and the trap door keeps acts as the cap.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-14-2020, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Firebird View Post
Yes the NJ gas pumps are a pain. I agree its more the design of the dispenser nozzle.
My local exxon has the easiest nozzle to use at 1/2 flow though. heck most of the time i dump in the rest of my gas can whenever i topoff tractor and quads!!
Gerry
I thought you couldn’t pump your own gas in NJ that they have to do it?

Old 10-14-2020, 12:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've put about 21,000 gallons of fuel in my '94 GMC van during its 353,000 miles and I don't recall ever being able to either fill at full pump speed or set the nozzle latch. So, I have had to stand by the van, manually filling the 33 gal tank at mid-pump speed.

Old 10-14-2020, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All of my old cars are easy to fuel up.. no issues. My old truck... a 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 was a nightmare. You had to turn the nozzle upside down and set it on low speed. Glad I got rid of that truck.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 10-14-2020, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my '64 GTO, I open the trunk and lift the nozzle up some.

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Man Taylor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 11:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohunter View Post
Never had a fill problem as described, but get a kick out of people every time I'm pumping gas into my 68. They'll stand there and watch me pump the gas, and are amazed the filler is behind the license plate!
People really flip when I fill up my '56 Chevy... the filler is behind the left tail light.

The Following User Says Thank You to justincampbell For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 11:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I too have experienced the filling issues discussed here. Here is a bit of a "silver lining" to having to run the pump slow to fill without spilling. 10 or 15 years ago I read somewhere that you get a more accurate fill when you run the pump on the low setting. The article claimed that when you run it full blast you may not actually get as much fuel as the pump indicates. I have always filled my vehicles on the slow setting since I read that. Granted I think it only makes a few cents difference. But, as they say "A penny saved is a penny earned."

Old 10-15-2020, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Can Am is somewhat like this, and it already has the unleaded fill window inside the filler neck. My issue is I only have to babysit it when it is near full. If I leave it along on any of the lock settings, the neck fills up too quickly for it to shut off without back splashing.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincampbell View Post
People really flip when I fill up my '56 Chevy... the filler is behind the left tail light.
The fuel fill on my '49 Cadillac Limo also requires the lifting of the left tail light...

As a kid (my dad bought this car when I was 4), I remember dad stopping to get gas and the station attendant typically had to ask where to put the gas....

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess I dont really see a problem personally. Old cars have inconveniences.. Do I expect my 50 year old car to be as easy as my modern vehicle to fill up with gas? Nope... Is my car as comfortable as a new car? NOPE... Does it handle as well? NOPE?

Aside from having to kneel down and babysit the pump handle I have no complaints. On the bright side the tank is small and fills quickly..

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude