WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 04-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A good friend of mine as an o4 gto that got hit in the front end about a month ago.It needs a new engine cradle. GM is telling him that it will be July before they can get him one. The 05 will not fit. This will put him without a car for 5 months. He is a single father of two young children and other than a motorcycle, he has no other wheels. He has been up the chain at GM and has gotten no satisfaction. I'm trying to help him locate a cradle so if any body hears of a 04 gto that was rear ended and totaled I sure would like to buy the engine cradle. Thanks for any leads or advice.
Old 04-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A good friend of mine as an o4 gto that got hit in the front end about a month ago.It needs a new engine cradle. GM is telling him that it will be July before they can get him one. The 05 will not fit. This will put him without a car for 5 months. He is a single father of two young children and other than a motorcycle, he has no other wheels. He has been up the chain at GM and has gotten no satisfaction. I'm trying to help him locate a cradle so if any body hears of a 04 gto that was rear ended and totaled I sure would like to buy the engine cradle. Thanks for any leads or advice.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sadly, one of the joys of a car made in Australia. Can a local wrecking yard not put the word out? Around here all those guys are linked and can usually find what you need.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Senior Chief

That sucks. I've heard of a similar wait time for someone with a split floorpan following a wreck. Like David said, see if a local wrecking yard can find one through their network. Enough have been wrecked by now there's got to be salvagable parts out there. Recently a train loaded with '05s derailed, but I believe a similar incedent occured last year with '04s...those cars must be somehwere. Also try asking at LS1GTO.com or going directly through Holden. Or see if GM or the insurance company will pay for a rental until the repair is done.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Senior Chief

I went to www.car-part.com and did a check on front suspension parts,and found alot of yards that have parts available.A yard by me shows the control arms and the core support.Alot of yards show having suspension parts.
Craig
Old 04-18-2005, 01:02 PM

I work at a Pontiac dealer in Charleston, S.C. I gave your info. to our parts dept.(usually efficient people) They should let me know something shortly. This mey be a route you have already been through,but sometimes we can get things other dealers can't.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for all the input. I will definatly be checking all the salvage yards. I did get a call today from the GTO brand manager and he is working on the issue for us. I got lucky, my dad is retired GM and I work for a dealer so I was able to access the right peple at GM and it turns out one use to work with my father. He must have had a good relationship with the guy because I got phone calls today at home from two GM execs in detroit. I'll let you know what happens>
Old 04-19-2005, 02:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michael c:
Thanks for all the input. I will definatly be checking all the salvage yards. I did get a call today from the GTO brand manager and he is working on the issue for us. I got lucky, my dad is retired GM and I work for a dealer so I was able to access the right peple at GM and it turns out one use to work with my father. He must have had a good relationship with the guy because I got phone calls today at home from two GM execs in detroit. I'll let you know what happens&gt; </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always nice to have the right contacts. I hope it works out for you.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:50 PM

have heard and witnessed the parts problem.
an '04 was brought into my friends shop needed radiator support, driver's side front fender & several pieces of air dam / body side moldings. Word is, the fender came straight out of Austrailia, still had the cut out for the side marker light which apparently the GTO badge covers. Radiator support was brand new but I don't know where it came from. Air dams / body side moldings were the problems to come up with. The story goes they were salvaged off a demolished '04 with less than 30 miles on the clock.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, the car is back together. It has a cradle from a salvage yard. The word from GM was that there was not an 04 engine cradle on the planet and it would be July before one could be produced and shipped. I was really surprised that GM could not supply a part in a reasonable amount of time. I thought that a manufacturer had to maintain a certain amount of parts inventory for vehicles they produced. Don't Wreck Your 2004 GTO.