Old 10-31-2020, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a bad theory/opinion
But it skips over the extremely high EUN factor looking at it that way.
In the case of this block.

~IF~ the June heads are original, then the engine didn't leave Michigan until after those dates. Which sort of coincides with EUN it seems like from your other notes.
But the heads are a big maybe either way.

The main thing to remember is the YW block was nothing different from any other 400cid 2 bolt block. Pontiac made a lot of 400cid V8's with this same block casting between the September 68 and June 69 parameters we are involved with. All of them started at the same place in Michigan.
This one didn't get final assembly until way into the final stretch. For whatever reason.
It could have just as well been used to create a YD or YS or WT or WS at any given time. The EUN and application code weren't stamped until it was in the line up to be assembled.

The EUN is pegging its assembly time frame to wherever that 8xx,xxx EUN falls in line.
For an off the shoulder loose comparison, 1968 400cid EUN's hit the 8xx,xxx range in June/July production. fwiw

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 10-31-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John V. and North both have tremendous 69 Bird knowledge and data from their deep researches.

On EUN science/math/voodoo , Mr.Ransom is especially gifted.

Wouldn't hurt if Greg supplied his data from his 68 GTO/Engine just to have another abnormal example in the same place.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure this is simply a '69 Firebird that was sold under the GM employee discount program or perhaps a vendor discount program.

The PNA Invoice No. prefix tells me it was not originally shipped to Zone Stock so it was either Special Ordered by the eligible GM employee/vendor or was purchased out of Dealer Stock.

Not sure how the program worked but the CMD might be evidence that it was purchased out of Dealer Stock since I think if an employee Special Ordered it, the Employee Discount would have been figured into the original Invoice and the CMD adjustment would have been unnecessary.

I do not have enough '69 EUNs to judge whether EUN 0805248 makes sense for the VIN and ship date but my guess is that it is the original block.

The block cast date makes some sense to me in that if the engine was assembled in June, the 9790071 400 block castings were being used up at that time. It was not all that uncommon for block castings to get shuffled to the back of the pile and then come out of hiding at the end of production in years that the particular block casting was NOT going to be used in the next Model Year.

I know that the Foundry was already casting the '70 blocks in June, many years ago I documented a July built '69 big Pontiac with the 9799914 block casting and of course, a ton of late built '69 'birds got the 9799914 block casting also.

So most likely, this particular 9790071 block was just collecting dust until it was time to use them up at what was expected to be the end of the '69 Model Year.

The delay in '70 'bird production made the 9799914 block unnecessary but the Foundry was already casting them so Engine Assembly began using them when the last of the 9790071 blocks were gone.

The Head casting dates give a clue that this engine was likely assembled around 6/10 or a few days later.

June Norwood builds wore VINs between about N103000 and N106900 so this one was final assembled maybe 4-5 production days before the end of June which fits pretty perfectly with the 6/30/69 ship date.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post: