Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 09-24-2020, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front lower control arm specs ??

According to my 66 chassis book.

Nut- lower control arm assy......80lb
Nut-lower control arm frame bumper to arm...........15lb

Nut-steering knuckle to ball stud assembly-lower......95lb

Im confused on the 15 lb torque, is that where the arm attatches to the frame, seems like 15 isnt all that much............even more confused on the 80lb one, i see where the arms attatch to the frame, and im taking it the 95lb is the castle nut to the ball joint.

LOL, even with the book in front of me, im screwing this up..........these lowers are umi aftermaket, in there instructions, says follow factory set up.

Can someone straighten me out...........

Thanks

Rich

Old 09-24-2020, 10:44 AM

Frame bumper = rubber down stop. Doesn’t need much torque.

If you’re not using factory pieces some of those numbers won’t necessarily apply.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

You have rubber/poly bushings in the lowers correct? If so, follow those specs you have. You may want to consult the instructions on if those need to be torqued in place with the weight of the car on the suspension. Most rubber and many poly bushed control arms need to be torqued with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension.

If you've got delrin bushings in the lowers, what you want to do is torque them to a point where the control arm has enough tension on it that it juuuust barely can hold up it's own weight. Same for the uppers. With solid bushings, there's no need for the weight of the car to be on the suspension when torqueing them down.

Old 09-24-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks B man & Jason, i have the delrin bushings in the lower arms from umi, in their instructions says use factory specs........i see thats already different.

Now on the spc upper arms i have the high durmetor rubber, that instruction sheet says 80 lb for the cross shafts.

Thinking might be easier to get the delrin uppers........which is what i ordered in the first place, but didnt get.

Thanks guys

Rich