Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-03-2020, 10:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Drum brake issue

When I bought my 65 Tempest I was told that all the brakes were new it had a single master cylinder. When I got in it first thing in the morning the brakes would literally throw you through the windshield. As you drove on it would act like normal.

WhenI changed motors I put in a 67 dual master cylinder for drum brakes. It still throws you through the windshield the first time you use them. As the day goes on they act like normal drum brakes.

I am looking at disc brake conversions. But until just curious if anybody has had the same problem

Thanks Greg

Old 10-04-2020, 03:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No need to change to discs. Get some new brake shoes. The current ones sound like they are particularly sensitive to moisture/condensation, which is changing the friction characteristics of the linings. As they heat up from use, they return to normal.

The Following User Says Thank You to Geoff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2020, 08:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
No need to change to discs. Get some new brake shoes. The current ones sound like they are particularly sensitive to moisture/condensation, which is changing the friction characteristics of the linings. As they heat up from use, they return to normal.
Thanks I have discs in my future.

Greg

Old 10-05-2020, 03:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Proper high quality brakes shoes can make a huge difference.

Can be tough with a car if it isn't driven much, and depending on the climate and where it is stored ... surface rust on the inside the of drum can make things pretty snatchy the first couple of uses. And as said above, condensation making the shoes stickier.

Old 10-05-2020, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Get your self some Porterfield shoes.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree with the others that disc brakes aren't necessary on the rear unless you seek the simplicity of them (which I happen to prefer). I had the same problem you describe in a '93 Nissan Maxima that I owned a long time ago. Had the rear drum brakes overhauled by a shop, and ever since the work was done, the rear drums were extremely touchy first thing in the morning, or if the car had sat for an extended period of time. Got so bad that if I let the car sit for a few days and then drove it in the rain, the rear tires would actually skid on wet pavement when using the brakes for the first time. Not good. I no longer have the Maxima (great car, BTW), but I think the problem was caused by low quality brake shoes that were particularly sensitive surface rust from moisture.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 10-12-2020, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My son took an 800 mile round trip yesterday, in our '66 Tempest with standard drum brakes. No complaints, but obviously he needed to be aware that the car doesn't stop as well from highway speeds. Around town, I can stop that car on a dime. I've never seen these Porterfield brake shoes. I went on their website it is not very intuative. I checked out the "Muscle Car Brakes" website and found them to be quite expensive.