WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > General Forums > GTOG8TA.COM Late Model Stuff

GTOG8TA.COM Late Model Stuff New products, updates, and other GTOG8TA.COM info.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Senior Chief

Default 06 GTO seat stitching

The stitching on my buckets are starting to separate. How to fix? Thanks Steve
Old 07-22-2017, 10:25 AM

Most leather seats as on the 06 are dried out beyond repair. That's why they are coming apart. If your leather is still very soft and workable, then a good shop can possibly repair them by taking the cover off first and resewing them. It's still a lot of work and no shop will guarantee that it will last. Hopefully yours can be repaired. New leather seats can cost a lot to recover.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:34 PM
Suspended

The stitching pulls apart because the leather dries out, becomes less flexible and overloads the stitching. To repair the seat you have two options, recover with new leather or get the old leather flexible and restitch what you have.

To renurish the leather you have, use Neatsfoot oil liberally to the pulled a part area. Apply several times to the failed area. Once the leather is renurished, the stitching can be replaced repairing the seat. Sometimes the leather is so dried out that you cannot get it flexible enough to restitch. At that point it's either find a new seat back for your car or get the existing seat recovered with new leather.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
The stitching pulls apart because the leather dries out, becomes less flexible and overloads the stitching. To repair the seat you have two options, recover with new leather or get the old leather flexible and restitch what you have.

To renurish the leather you have, use Neatsfoot oil liberally to the pulled a part area. Apply several times to the failed area. Once the leather is renurished, the stitching can be replaced repairing the seat. Sometimes the leather is so dried out that you cannot get it flexible enough to restitch. At that point it's either find a new seat back for your car or get the existing seat recovered with new leather.
Can you provide a ballpark figure on what one should expect to pay for this? You say it's expensive but what is the upholstery industry commanding in these instances?

My '04, which is in otherwise excellent shape, has this issue. If my original seat leather in good condition can be re-sewn, that's the route I'd like to take. However, if I need to invest in new leather, I'm not opposed to that option, either. So if you can put me in the neighborhood of what each might cost it would be truly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure of the cost since I didn't get it done myself but it may just be easier and cheaper to buy a used seat in good condition
Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The good used market is getting pretty scarce as these cars are 11 plus years old now. Prices usually start at $500 per pair for front seats and go up from there. The rear seats are usually cheaper as the high demand is for good used front seats, however finding good rear seats is also getting more scarce as these cars age.

Not parking the cars under cover definitely hastens the demise of the leather and stitching. My car has sat out in the sun since I bought it and wherever the sun hits the seats constantly is where the leather shrinks and the stitching deteriorates. The leather on my front seats is torn, so even if I rejuvenated it, it wouldn't be able to be repaired without some new leather panels being made for the drivers seat.

Kits for replacement covers are usually starting at $800 for two front seats and go up from there. https://www.autoseatskins.com/pontia...ts-p/cpo20.htm

I had my rear seats replaced while still under warranty, they are split again and the front seats are also split and need replaced on my 05. PY at one time was talking (Chris C) about getting seat covers made for the late model GTOs, I haven't heard anything recently though about them securing a vendor. It's going to be an ongoing wear area for these cars, and right now there aren't many vendors reproducing/selling covers.

The factory GM replacements, if you can still get them, were like $1500 per seat. Last I heard they weren't any more durable than the originals, and stock was hit and miss, if you decided to buy GM replacements.
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 11-09-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i was quoted 800 for just the fronts on mine.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Try Kats skins..they make seat covers for these cars..
Old 03-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 04 I ordered from GM the top pf the backs as well as the leather between them. Interior shop said as much material as he would have had to buy the $1000 was cheaper than buying it and him cutting the pattern.
1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-24-2018, 12:01 AM

I purchased these back in 2015 and I can't express enough how happy I am with this purchase.... The quality is very "stock appearing" I had the GTO embroidered on the fronts and had them installed by an auto upholstery shop for around $400.

https://www.amazon.com/2004-2006-Pon...00LP3FKDI?th=1 (Select Scarlet)

They didn't have rears, so I sent them my rear covers and they made templates from my seats and now they are selling the rears as well... I installed the rears myself - very easy job to do.... It's just clips and velcro...

1 of 370 PBM / Red / M6 / 18" Rims
408 Callies Stroker Crank, Diamond Pistons, Comp-Star Rods, Monster Level 2 Clutch, Custom Comp Cam (232/234 - .613 lift on a 110 LSA), Kooks LT Headers, Corsa Sport full exhaust (no cats), MGW-P shifter, FAST 92 "ported" intake, SAP Grilles & Front Fascia, Moroso Catch-Can, Skip-shift eliminator, Vararam CAI, UD pulley, Kenwood DDX-418, JHP Gauges,
Built by: PROXSES
Tuned by: Slow Motion Motorsports
472 HP / 502 TQ

Old 02-06-2019, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just noticed this thread (no pun intended). I had trouble with the seat stitching on my 1999 Caprice. Same car maker -Holden, same seats.

I found the stitching on the passenger side bolster started to come apart. When I had the cover taken off, whoever first assembled the seat did not put the foam rub material over the side air bag so the airbag cover was rubbing on the inside of the leather. Didn't cost much to fix it but that was about 15 years back. Still got the car today.