THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Ask them if you lend them the vintage wedding car, if you can then borrow their new honey spouse for a night. They don't get (not owning a classic car) that it is that level of personal intrusion. They think it some goofy parade toy object.
^^^ What he said.

If you think about how many hours you put into a car, it becomes something more than just a toaster. Could respond with a qualifying question like "Do you know where I can find a rust-free fender?" There are a couple of people I know that I'd have no qualms with letting them drive. And people climbing into your car? That's kinda like walking into another person's house. Is it rude? That really depends on how well you know the other guy.

There was an earlier post, someone mentioned losing a factory brochure. I can almost guarantee that was a non-car person. They view these as samples at the supermarket. Anything loose is merely a handout for you to read at home. Thing is, those are usually in a holder that clearly says "Take One".

Quote:
As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point... Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whether you allow anyone to drive your collector car or your daily driver is up to you. A very simple situation. You can say yes or no--no further discussion needed.

I can't believe some of the posts to this thread.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Dick Boneske For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Three types of posts:

-ones with no experience having someone else behind the wheel
-ones with an acceptable experience after someone else driving their car
-ones with a bad experience lending the car or someone else driving it

Old 10-20-2019, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
My policy isn’t worded that way. No one under 25, and they must be listed on the policy as a licensed insured driver.
I'm not at home right now to verify my actual policy wording. I don't think Hagerty wrote a different policy just for you,

If your policy is written to exclude any person not specifically listed on your policy, you wouldn't be able to have a mechanic drive your car into the service bay for a repair beyond your personal skill set.

I taught my grandson how to drive a stick with my GTO.

Once again, referring to the Hagerty website:

Quote:
How many years of driving experience are required?

Our program guidelines require that every driver must be fully licensed, with no state imposed restrictions (such as a suspension).

Who can drive my car? Can my children drive it?

It’s up to your discretion who you allow to drive your car. Just keep in mind, the same acceptable usage that applies to you applies to everyone who drives it.
While Hagerty supports youth involvement in the hobby, our program guidelines requires that every driver must be fully licensed, with no state imposed restrictions (such as a suspension).
No age limitations in either of these two areas.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:11 AM

I’m not going to argue with you, and I’m not pulling my policy to prove it to you! I know what the damn thing says, and I posted what mine says, you don’t want to believe it? Fine! That’s your freaking problem!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-20-2019, 12:05 PM

I’m pretty sure that when I joined Hagerty, the no one under 25 was mentioned in the policy. Browsed through my documents online and can’t find it anywhere.
I need to call and raise my value, I’ll ask about it.

Terry

Old 10-20-2019, 12:38 PM

Okay, got some clarification. It’s anyone under 25 that is not in your household.
Hagerty considers someone under 30 to be under experienced. Even with that, they will still cover your car if you give them permission to drive it.

Glad I called. I thought I had the “Vehicle Under Construction” rider as I discussed with them last year when I started my restoration. I didn’t. The rider raises the value 10% every quarter automatically.

Old 10-20-2019, 12:47 PM

Getting back to topic..... I don’t think I’ll be letting anyone other than Mike drive my classics, and if they get mad or offended, oh well they’ll either get over it or not. You can’t please everyone and I’m not risking a possible accident happening, or losing my coverage over taking a risk. Even if I’m nice about it, there are those who will think it’s rude.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 10-20-2019, 07:37 PM

The other thing my policy states is that since I have Antique registration, I cannot drive the cars to say a Wal Mart or grocery store or anywhere that the car would be left alone in the parking lot. But if I drive someone there and I wait in the car that is allowed. They will not cover damages if the car is left alone in the parking lot.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 10-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the mid-80s, I was in my late 20s and one of my wife's cousins was 14 at the time. He helped me work on some of my cars and went junk yarding and to swap meets with me. I lived out in the country where there were few cops patrolling the back roads, so I taught him how to drive at least a year before he got his learner's permit. We started out in a 1970 Formula 400 automatic, then he learned to drive a manual in my wife's 82 T/A with factory 4-spd (an underpowered turd from the beginning). Once I felt he had mastered the manual tranny, we took my 74 SD 455 4-spd out. We never got crazy, but I did let him chirp second gear in it.

He went off to college, and I moved 120 miles away. After graduating college, he got married and started a family. Now that his kids are grown, he bought a Hellcat and is enjoying the late model car scene in VA. His son is off in college, but is also a car enthusiast.

I was at a funeral for a family member a few months ago, and his mother hugged me and told me "I blame you for all this car nonsense". I laughed, and his dad told me to ignore her. We talked later, and his dad also told me that he knew I taught Scott to drive a stick when he was a kid. I asked him how he knew, and he said "Remember the Datsun pickup I had. After he got his learner's permit, I was going to teach him how to drive a manual. He drove it perfectly the first time he got behind the wheel, so I knew it had to be you teaching him.

I will let family members drive my cars if I'm in it, but I only loaned one out to a brother-in-law, and will never do that again.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
The other thing my policy states is that since I have Antique registration, I cannot drive the cars to say a Wal Mart or grocery store or anywhere that the car would be left alone in the parking lot. But if I drive someone there and I wait in the car that is allowed. They will not cover damages if the car is left alone in the parking lot.
Once again, a MA only policy....

Quote:
What are your usage restrictions/guidelines?

Simply put, we want you to enjoy your classic vehicle. While there are some restrictions in the policy, you’re covered for pleasure use, whether it's a drive on a gorgeous summer day, a trip to the ice cream shop, attending club events or going to shows.
I wouldn't buy a policy if they had such severe restrictions on my policy.

And that is why I insure with Hagerty - they have the fewest restrictions of any collector policy - except for MA's policy of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We decided against an antique car insurance policy for exactly those restrictions.

-No one under 25 driving the car
-Only for short trips for ice cream, shows and parades. Not to work or Walmart.

Screw that. We just registered and insured it as a regular car, so that I can drive it to work, etc., with no hassles. But it appears that these restrictions are quite common, unless you pay more for use of the vehicle outside of those parameters.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
We decided against an antique car insurance policy for exactly those restrictions.

-No one under 25 driving the car
-Only for short trips for ice cream, shows and parades. Not to work or Walmart.

Screw that. We just registered and insured it as a regular car, so that I can drive it to work, etc., with no hassles. But it appears that these restrictions are quite common, unless you pay more for use of the vehicle outside of those parameters.

Yeah well not according to Champ, the know it all he thinks I make this stuff up, but look at this someone else had the same restrictions, guess I wrote this policy too.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Closed Thread