Old 01-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Senior Chief

On my F-Body (1976), I am very happy with the Pypes X-Over, but went in eyes wide open. Had to spread (cut and pie) open the pipes ahead of the X-Over to line up with the Headman headers. The system always hung low but not a problem until I lowered the car, and had to do something similar to the original poster, although I created the raise immediately after the headers instead of just before the mufflers. Still, I am happy with the product. PS Did not notice a drop in the power, although I am not after every 10th :>).

Old 01-18-2019, 12:53 PM
Senior Chief

Oops, some clarification needed. My original iteration needing spreading of the Pypes was behind long-tube Headmans. The most recent, after lowering my car, required some very serious tucking so not only included putting a bend upwards to lift the system, but also going to shorty Hedmans. And from Dynomax Welded to Borlas.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Good stuff! Thanks for the input.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyJS41 View Post
What a great looking car! Did you have to modify the tail pipe to get the factory style ends?
The turn downs came from Pypes. As mentioned, that system has been on that car for a long time now- I believe that the turndowns that Pypes has now look more "factory". It was no big deal to get the pipes tucked up where they're supposed to go. I've seen many on here that have had difficulty getting their system to fit to their satisfaction, not sure why? I have installed several Pypes systems (on A-body, B-body and F-body) and never had any trouble getting the supplied pieces to fit properly. All of the pipes they supply have a little extra length on them so careful planning and taking off the extra material at the right locations has always worked fine for me.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 02-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple questions on this new system....

I have an older, pre-high fit system, still sitting in a box. Is the only difference the two pipes between the X-over and the mufflers? If the answer is yes, can those two pipes be purchased by themselves? I looked over Pypes site and didn’t see that as an option.

If both those pipes and the tailpipes are different, can one “easily” modify the tails to fit?

I’m not real interested in trying to sell my old system, for probably pennies on the dollar, only to sink 500+ $$ on a new one.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling money pits View Post
Couple questions on this new system....

I have an older, pre-high fit system, still sitting in a box. Is the only difference the two pipes between the X-over and the mufflers? If the answer is yes, can those two pipes be purchased by themselves? I looked over Pypes site and didn’t see that as an option.

If both those pipes and the tailpipes are different, can one “easily” modify the tails to fit?

I’m not real interested in trying to sell my old system, for probably pennies on the dollar, only to sink 500+ $$ on a new one.
The tailpipes were also modified. Just picture the mufflers being about 3" higher and you can get then see why the tailpipes would have to be different. It's certainly possible that you could remove 3" of height out of the tailpipes at some point and essentially create your own High tuck kit. However, you'd have to be pretty handy and a little bit lucky to not say 'I should have just got the new system'

You shouldn't have much problem selling your SGA10. It's still by far our most popular system and the current advertised price is now $475. I'm sure you paid a lot less than that so it's quite possible for you to recover most of your money if you decide to sell it.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the part number of the new improved fitting kit in 3 inch with no mufflers?

Old 04-08-2019, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
What is the part number of the new improved fitting kit in 3 inch with no mufflers?
There is no high tuck kit planned for the 3" system. The larger pipe and tighter bends make it impractical. Also, those that have a big enough motor to warrant 3" exhaust would likely have a highly modified vehicle. Maximum visual clearance would not normally be a priority for such vehicles.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
There is no high tuck kit planned for the 3" system. The larger pipe and tighter bends make it impractical. Also, those that have a big enough motor to warrant 3" exhaust would likely have a highly modified vehicle. Maximum visual clearance would not normally be a priority for such vehicles.
It’s not really about visual appearance I just wanted ground clearance. How do your systems fit with the Doug’s longtube headers. I have always had an exhaust shop just crush bend me a set of exhaust and am a little nervous about doing my own exhaust. I have a lift so would it be a pretty straightforward install? What parts do I need to get it to mate to the Doug’s headers? I need a system without mufflers because I am running Borla

Old 04-10-2019, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
It’s not really about visual appearance I just wanted ground clearance. How do your systems fit with the Doug’s longtube headers. I have always had an exhaust shop just crush bend me a set of exhaust and am a little nervous about doing my own exhaust. I have a lift so would it be a pretty straightforward install? What parts do I need to get it to mate to the Doug’s headers? I need a system without mufflers because I am running Borla
With 3", there's not much clearance you can gain. Unless your car is lowered, there's plenty of clearance.

Doug's headers match up very nicely with our system. If Doug's still includes the collector reducers, it's an easy connection. Pypes has all the connections needed.

It's a straight forward install for most people. Start from the back and work forward.