Old 09-24-2019, 09:43 AM

Default '62 Gas Tank Sending Unit

Bought one from Auto City a few months ago as I was replacing the fuel tank in my '62 Catalina, also from Auto City. After installation and putting in 10-12 gallons of fuel the gauge still read empty. After numerous iterations of checking the resistance (0-36 ohms), float level, basic movement, I finally got a reasonable reading by bending the float rod. However that has changed for some reason & the gauge now shows 1/8 full but is really over 1/2. OE gauge & sender worked fine before tank removal, sender just fell apart after sitting in air for a day.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable supplier? I see Kanter, OPGI, Ames, CPR, all list one but are they all from the same supplier? I just want one that works! The Auto City add on ebay was too good to be true, all stainless unit for only $39!

Old 09-24-2019, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you called them to explain the problem? My dealings with Auto City have been good; one time I bought a windshield and they sent a tinted one instead of the clear one I wanted, but with one call the problem was quickly resolved and I had the correct glass in a couple days.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

May be about the same problem with any sender you can get these days. Demand can't be great so not many suppliers. Maybe only one manufacturer. I know when I put in a sender with the return line my gauge readings changed a lot. Even though I tried to compare high and low ohm readings and also compare relative float movement on old and new senders. I finally added a resistor in line with the sender to get it to give a wider range. Not perfect but more reliable readings now.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:05 PM

Stuart, I did call AutoCity after going through almost the same gyrations as pfilean. However they did not seem to be interested in helping me out.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:33 PM

Les at Pontiac Paradise

Old 09-29-2019, 09:18 AM

Put your old sending assembly on the new one. Had to do that with my AC car with return line & works fine.